FINALLY! An Antique Store Find! (Pics For Proof)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
New Cigars
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
After looking for what seemed like forever, I finally found some nice pipes at a local antique store. Being rural Mississippi there's hardly ever any pipes to be found, and when you do, it's usually a burned up cob for $15 or more, because it's an "antique". I came across these last weekend in a large antique store that mainly focuses on furniture. I was surprised to see this little pipe stand with 4 pipes in it. I was even more surprised to see what the pipes were! No, no Dunhills, but compared to what I usually find, they were great! Set me back $25 for everything! I almost felt guilty, (almost).

First: Savinelli "Punto Oro" with a nice blast

Next: Tinder Box "Milano" maybe a Savinelli too?

Then: Royal Sovereign, old Orlik second

Last: WDC "Italian Briar"

The Punto Oro and the Milano were hardly smoked, and the Royal Sovereign and WDC were heavily smoked with bad rim charring with dings. All the pipes had badly oxidized stems that needed restoring, along with some cleaning inside and out. So far I've only smoked the Punto Oro and the Milano. Both are great smoking pipes. The WDC seem like a really old pipe, but I can't find too much about it. I like the thick bowl on the Royal Sovereign and will smoke it next.

It was nice to finally find some decent pipes around here, and it was fun cleaning them up too. Hopefully it won't be the last time!

img_0134-600x477.jpg

img_0139-600x358.jpg

img_0145-600x352.jpg

img_0138-600x362.jpg

img_0143-600x361.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Nice find! It looks like the rack and canister alone is worth far more than you paid for the whole set.

Plus, you get the rewarding job of rescuing some pretty nice pipes. :clap:

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
It is my guess the WDC alone is worth the price of admission. I have an old one I smoke from time to time, it is very comfortable. A lovely pipe.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
Love the Sav, quite the find. Sounds like my area, I was lucky to find the two Falcons foe $7 each. I think the only real use of tobacco in this area is cigarettes and chewing tobacco. Good luck on finding more, I've got a few shops that I want to check that are only open on days that I work.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Often the Royal Sovereigns have fills, but they are generally very well made -- very solid, classic Brit wood.
Nice score.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Great score and a steal! Love the Sav and the WDC. Excellent clean-up job as well. Must be very satisfying!
Andy

joshoowah

Lurker
Apr 17, 2014
Nice find, indeed! Only pipe worth mentioning I've found at an antique shop is a Jesper of Denmark.

Status
Not open for further replies.