Finally, A Thread About How Great 1Q And Carter Hall Are!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
For too long 1Q and Carter Hall have been ignored and forgotten. Posters are constantly talking about tobaccos with characteristics like FLAVOR and TASTE! Now, the rest of us, the un-silent majority, can finally have a thread of our own. Please explain your personal journey to 1Q and/or Carter Hall enlightenment.

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
I've only had a few goes with each but my initial opinion would be they are both ok. 1Q seemed to leave a weird aftertaste but Carter Hall was pleasant and light. I just had a bowl of Carter Hall last week and it got right tasty after the first 3rd. Will try again.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have to say I do love a bowl of 1Q. I first ordered a two ounce sample of it in early summer last year, 2012. At first I didn't have high expectations, merely bought it out of curiosity from its high praise. At first light up it was very pleasant and continued throughout the smoke. Just a nice light easy mildly flavored aromatic that I could pass a day away smoking. Ever since then I've kept eight ounces on hand and am thinking of beefing that up to a pound.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
Same with me , I took a gamble & ordered 8oz of 1Q after reading so many positive reviews. I am really glad I did. 1Q is a very nice smooth tobacco that always amazes me with how pleasant it is each time I smoke a bowl. It has surely become my favourite go to tobacco. It seems that some look down on this blend for some reason. I can't understand why, maybe its not expensive enough lol. AS far as I'm concerned I'm gonna order more of this great tobacco & keep a good amount of it around for the long haul. I guess I believe that one should smoke what one likes & I really like 1Q so I'm keep smoking it & enjoying every minute of it. If you haven't tried it yet I would really encourage any pipe smoker to at least give it a chance , who knows it might surprise you , I'm sure glad I did. No matter what, enjoy what you smoke and smoke what you enjoy ! This is a great site & I'm really thankful to be a member .

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I've smoked a lot of 1Q over the years.I think I would like it better though if it had a little more taste than it does.I've been thinking of adding a bit of something to it just to see what happens.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I think 1Q is now listed under candy. No but really, the two of them are truely the gate way tobacco into pipe smoking and the real world of blends. They've probably been smoked by every pipe smoker alive, even if they didn't know it was part of the B&M blend. So hats off, good work, now on to some Vaper.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
It wasn't that long ago that there was a thread about Carter Hall. People rave about 1Q all the time, too.
You guys wanna smoke that stuff, knock yourself out. I want a simple burley, I'll get some MacB Burley London. I can pick up a pound, bulk, for under $27 from Pipes and Cigars. Carter Hall costs about the same amount for less from the same source.

I have no interest in smoking 1Q whatsoever.
This is not to knock anyone that wants to smoke 'em. Feel free.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
1-Q is a nice bulk aromatic, and it's the biggest selling pipe tobacco in the US for a reason.

That being said, it's not my cup of tea.

Carter Hall, on the other hand, is THE mainstay of my rotation. I think it's comparable in quality to my other favorite "premium" blends from GL Pease, G&H, C&D, McClelland, etc. It's a very different kind of smoke, but it's great.

Just my two cents worth.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
I never heard of Carter Hall tobacco . What type of tabacco is it ? What does it taste like ?

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
I have to admit being an apparent anomaly: in 49 years of piping, I had never tried either 1Q or CH, until this last year. I had never considered CH because its name and packaging always reminded me of flavored aromatics, something that I was warned away from when I first took up the pipe in the early 60's because they could ruin your pipe. For whatever reason, I had never heard of 1Q until about a year ago when I joined this forum. I admit to never having considered using the internet to further an interest in pipe smoking (yeah, I'm old) because I knew what I liked (Emglish blends and burleys) and I simply sought out variations on those themes. Then I joined PM and realized there are other possibilities, and aromatics don't have to ruin your pipe... rotation, cleanings... who woulda thought? In any case, I have now veered down another road and find some of the aromatics to be pleasant diversions, albeit occassionally. CH, on the other hand, has become a regular part of my "every day when I just want a pipe in the shop or on the shooting range" routine. I find it to be a better choice than SWR, which had been my main burley for many years. This old dog seems to be able to learn a few new tricks, at least when it comes to tobacco choices. And now, to start exploring VA/Pers.....

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have never tried 1Q and have no plans to do so. I find that anything with a decent mount of PG in it dries my mouth something fierce.
I do smoke CH when I run errands because it is a blend that I do not have to think about while smoking and it has a decent flavor. I get a lot of cinnamon hints from it. I just began smoking this one and it is the only OTC I have smoked. It is not a bad blend and I do not find it has too much PG so it doesn't dry my mouth like other aromatics.
I also like the CH because it makes me feel like an old codger and every time I smoke it I get a picture of old cajun in my brain.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
1Q- great stuff not sure why there are so many haters on it. You can enjoy just they way it is, or change it around to give it some different flavor. 1Q w/ a touch of latakia makes a great smoke too!

CH-have not ever tried so I cant comment. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.