PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
No GBD collection would be complete with a Sina (Another Oppenheimer Brand)and my focus these last few years has been Bulls and Rhodies. I finally found a Sina bulldog and although it has a few fills, the pipe itself is in wonderful shape with crisp nomenclature and no serious dings. I'll keep looking for the "perfect bulldog" but this one will fill the gap quite nicely until it appears.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
This one has a few fills but it was in such nice shape I couldn't resist. The shape is unusual but very attractive. All in all, not bad. It should fit comfortably in with the GBD, Comoy, Dr.Plumb, City Deluxe and the Digby. The problem with reading "GBD, the St. Claude story is that it gives you so many other pipes to find. The only thing that keeps me solvent is that they have to be Rhodies or bulls.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I'd call it a Rhodesian, and I'm very much a bulldog guy -- but WHATEVER you call it, it is outstanding.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
The thick shank does give them a distinctive look. Sina pipes were made in St. Claude for Oppenheimer as a French brand but they share that look with the other members of the family. Sina pipes were introduced in 1936 as a new line of pipes and along with Dr. Plumb were to be marketed directly to retail chains in France. Although they were not seen as the equal of GBD pipes, they were considered an excellent mid range pipe.
Voorhees, I like the dark color. Can't tell from the picture, does yours have the beveled bowl edge?

dude

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2015
Minnesota,
Is the stem that thick or is the bowl smallish? I would love to see it next to another pipe just to get my head around the proportions.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Now that you mention it, I've only seen taper-stem Sina pipes, never a saddle. Odd.
It was nothing like the 9242 shape. Definitely more like the 9438, but chunkier and about 10 grams heavier.
I've only seen one 9242 in person, the one I won. It is more petite and streamlined compared to the 9438. The 9242 is more like the Comoys 284 shape.

The Sina Rhodesian more closely resembles the Comoys 499/498 line.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Voorhees, I like the dark color. Can't tell from the picture, does yours have the beveled bowl edge?
Yes, it does. I love that little pipe even with the fat stem. Great clencher, almost cigar like in diameter.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I was looking at the two side by side and the one you have appears to have a shorter bit. I think I like that better. Might just be the angle and distance but it does appear to look shorter.

Status
Not open for further replies.