PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
As many of you may know I've had some serious issues trying to enjoy flake tobaccos to this point. Obviously technique and experienceplayed a large part in my troubles. I think I may have finally conquered the flake! I think another part of it was that I didn't have a go

od flake pipe, but I recently purchased 6 estates at an antique ship. A Brigham Dublin that I thought was maybe from the 70s,turns out it is most likely from the late 40s to early 50s. I was given an old tin of Best Brown Flake that was quite dried out but covered in plume (thank you Pruss) and I loaded a bowl. The flavour was incredible and I only had to relight twice (has to be a record for me). I have several tins of flakes in my cellar that I finally have some confidence to cracking open now. Can't wait to explore the world of flakes now!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks Roth, I was beginning to wonder if I was ever going to grasp flakes. This pipe has to help, it's amazing! I'll post pics of the restore job Pat did for me in another thread.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Brian, that is awesome, glad to hear you are getting it. Nothing like that ah ha moment when the stars align and you get a magical smoke. I am sure the fact the BB was aged and dried somewhat plus the Dublin lead to your success. Just goes to show how humidity and pipe shape can make such a huge difference. Can't wait to hear about some other flakes you will be trying. Keep us informed.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
Congrats, Brian! A whole new area of smoking is gonna open up to you now. :clap:

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks Gentlemen, I plan on picking up another Dublin pipe or two for flakes. I have some university flake, balkan flake and Escudo that I'll now try in that pipe to see if u notice any difference. Based on the reviews I've seen I plan on trying some Capstan Blue as well. Should be an interesting ride

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
That's great Brian. I think you will find that you will be having a lot more of those great moments from now on. UF and Escudo are a couple of the great ones. I hope they serve you well. Good call by picking up another Dublin!

Status
Not open for further replies.