PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
I must be doing something wrong. Almost invariably, regardless the pipe or baccy chosen, when I get down to the last one third or so it goes out and I have to relight several times. Am I packing that first third too loose, too tight? I more or less let it gravity feed with a very slight push with my finger.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Colcot what I do is tamp at a 45 degree angle instead of straight down, I then use a pipe filter to open up the air hole like you do for excess moisture, opens up the airway and makes the draw a lot better, also draw on the pipe when you tamp, keeps the tobbaco going better, that is what works for me The old cajun

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
That's good advice. I do draw when tamping but never used a pipe cleaner in that way and will try it-thanks. Usually even though drawing toward that last bit in the bowl all the drawing and tamping won't keep it going long. Perhaps your suggestion will work for me as well.

will

Might Stick Around
Jul 8, 2012
I too experience this more times than not.

Next pipe I will have to try out your tips tbradsim1, I have tried using the poker to make an air hole from time to time and that does help.

I am sure it would be easier to get a consistent burn to the end if I used the same pipe and tobacco all the time but I am just beginning and am trying out a lot of different stuff right now.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I was having this problem too. I managed to fix it by packing it really loose toward the bottom when you first put in the tobacco and then firmer as you reach the top. That way when I tamp the bottom isn't too packed. I don't know if would work for you or not but you could give it a try.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Actually, I gravity feet that first pinch and barely touch it to push it down. Then, next pinch a bit firmer and finally that last third or so a little more and I go all around the bowl with my thumb packing it lightly. Time and experimentation is what works for you , I suppose.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I load a bowl I will gravity feed the first third and then push it down around the sides and then check the draw to make sure it is ok. Then I put more in, again pushing it in around the sides and make sure the draw is a little firmer, same with the last third. When I get to the bottom I use my tamper to push the tobacco in from the sides and also use a pipe cleaner like old cjaun.

Status
Not open for further replies.