PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
A number of forum posters have indicated, strongly, they won't use a filter, ever. Certainly no problem with that. But this post is meant for those who are just fine using them. They even prefer them.
I'm been playing with my new Sav 320 KS for the past few days, smoking it without balsa filter after having really enjoyed it *with* the balsa. Cool, flavorful smoke. Yes, I did notice that without the filter the smoke is just a "tetch" warmer, and it does something to the tobacco I don't like as much. It's okay, but it makes me want to put the balsa back in.
Just now I stopped to wonder, does it vary by tobacco? I switched to Molto Dulce in it today. The bowl is so dang big that I overworked it a little before slowing into my normal writer's pace. Ding dang it -- a purr started and I knew I'd worked up some moisture. No problem -- with no filter in, just the converter, I pushed a pipe cleaner in there and presto-changeo, back to a silent, dry smoke.
I like that option.
Knowing that one tobacco burns hotter than another, one wetter, they burn differently with age, and styles change from smoke to smoke slightly, here's my question:
Do any of you have some tobaccos you prefer to have the filter in, and some you prefer to leave it out?
I know you can just dedicate one pipe to certain tobaccos, and that's probably the better answer. But do you ever say to yourself, "With this tobacco I prefer my filter in. With this one, out"?

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Note on the Molto Dulce in it. After that initial purr and swipe, it just burned really nice. No further maintenance. So... my question is more hypothetical in nature, I guess. It's not about Molto Dulce.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I always use a filter, 6mm balsa, 9mm Dr. Pearl Jr., Dr. Grabow, or Brigham Rock Maple - in the corresponding pipe made for that filter - with any overly moist tobacco. For me it cuts way down on the "steam" that causes tongue and mouth "bite".
I know I "could" dry the moist tobacco out, but I do not plan ahead well and don't want to wait the 20 to 45 minutes to dry it out.
I also use a 9mm Dr. Pearl Jr. filter (in a Vauen) when I want to reduce the "nic hit" of anything strong (like C&D Bayou Morning) when smoking it late at night. The 9mm Dr. Pearl Jr. does reduce the nicotine delivered, and yes, I can tell the difference.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
I smoke most blends with 9mm filter. I try every new tobacco without filter, but like most of them with.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've used the Savinelli 6mm balsa filters before and found that with some tobaccos that have a strong flavor and smoke wetter, I prefer the filter. I have one pipe that uses 9mm filters, a Chacom 2011 pipe of the year, and until I tried the Savinelli 9mm balsa filters in it, I didn't like any of the other 9mm filters. With the Savinelli, it smokes wonderful, but there again I mainly use it for aros. I've never used a filter pipe for any other tobaccos, such as Va, Vapers, latakias, and Lakelands. They seem to smoke just fine without a filter. Just my 2 cents worth.

pipedreamer

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2012
I make my pipes to where you have a choice between all the 9 mm filters and an adaptor due to the fact that I noticed what you have noticed . Some tobacco tastes different or gurgles in the pipe and adding or taking away, changes it for the better. also tongue burn can happen with certain tobaccos and a filter can reduce this or get rid of it completely. Due to bias and the uninformed I make standard also, It takes a long time for some to catch on. The standard pipes I have from other makers pick the tobacco they want to smoke. I have two Barbis,one loves latakia, the other wants only, you guessed it Molto Dolce cut in half with BCA. Go figure? This all took place a long time ago when a girl friend got me a hand made Nording. I still have it , Changed how I looked at the whole picture.Up till then my choices in tobacco were very limited. Fifty years ago it was hard to get those filters and now they are everywhere. WE now live in pipe heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.