PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sunriseboy

I read that excellent article from 2014 regarding filters. I'm a filter man myself. I see the crapola coming off the filters and can see perfectly why there is merit in their use.

However, I just bought (at considerable expense IMHO!) the White Elephant 6 mm lot for my cobs. To my chagrin they are over 6.5 mm and get stuck in the stem. And can only be removed with some considerable effort. I went so far as to let the stem out a little with a rat-tail file. But what I found upsetting about them, is the draw of the cob is reduced by some 50% or more with these in the stem. Whereas the other types Medico are no problemo.

I'm ordering some Falcons because they don't reduce the flow by much and pick up a good lot of tack.
Anyway, I'm a bit cheesed off having spent nearly $40 Oz money only to find they are poorly designed and inefficient.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I only use a filter in one of my pipes. The only reason I use it, is BECAUSE of the wide open draw. That particular pipe is too open for me. And yes, there is some nasty crap that shows up on there.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Most pipe filters aren't really filters, they're moisture traps. Unlike cigarette filters which require all the smoke to pass through them, the majority of pipe filters allow most of the smoke to pass unrestricted. If your goal is to filter out the most impurities, buy cigarette filters meant for roll-your-owners and stuff one into an MM if it will fit.

Jun 27, 2016
I like their Natur Meerschaum Granules to put in the bottom of the bowl.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90gr-WHITE-ELEPHANT-NATUR-MEERSCHAUM-FILTER-GRANULES-NEW-MADE-IN-GERMANY-/311453364354?hash=item4884113082:g:2c8AAOSwKIpWByxd#shpCntId
Maybe you can cut the meer granules out of your cartridge filters and do the same, but they might be too small and clog the draught hole.
I make my own balsa 6mm triangle filters, but they go in my 9mm pipes so I can still pass a cleaner while smoking.
:puffy:

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
I use filters in most of my pipes,mostly to cut the draw down a little.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
If a pipe was made to take a filter, then I smoke it with filters in. If you want a filterless smoke, why choose a pipe that takes a filter?
I have one 9mm filtered pipe, four 6mm filtered pipes (I use balsa), and the rest are unfiltered. I pick whichever option best suits the blend I'm using.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Europeans are fond of filers, and most pipes sold in Europe are intended to accommodate a filter. However, there are quite a few varieties of filter out there. You can buy a balsa wood filter, 6mm or 9mm, and ditto for cartridges in these sizes. In addition to these, there are the Denicool crystals and the Nording "rocks." A few of these, dropped in the bowl before packing your pipe provide significant moisture absorbing action, contributing to a dryer, and hence cooler smoke. They do not affect the taste of the tobacco at all, and have the added effect of giving you a smoke with absolutely no dottle, because the moisture at the bottom of the bowl has been completely absorbed. Last, but certainly not least is the Dri-Kule filter, a conical stainless steel mesh that you insert in the bottom of the bowl before packing your tobacco. Again, it gives you a much drier smoke, and absolutely no dottle. I use them in my pipes that have large, deep bowls, and they work great.

Status
Not open for further replies.