PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
Which is best all depends on the individual I'm afraid. Some folks like a restricted cooler air flow. Others prefer the wide open draw of a nonfiltered pipe. I can take it or leave the filters. The nonfilters to me are easier to clean just running pipe cleaners through them. That being said, filtered pipes aren't much more of a hassle.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I need a paper filter in a cob on those rare occasions when I use a cob to test a questionable blend.

The draw feels tighter, and the filter blocks some ash.
The rock maple filter tubes in Brigham pipes are really nifty, and they pass a pipe cleaner. Highly recommended.

They can be rinsed with water or bleached-out with alcohol occasionally, and they last a long time.

brigham-system.jpg

My Savinelli's smoke fine without the balsa inserts, so I've never used them.
Cleaning a pipe with a paper filter is a big PITA -- unless you're gonna replace the filter after every smoke,

which is a minor PITA too (not to mention that it would double the per-bowl cost of most smokes).

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I use the balsa inserts in Savinelli pipes, but always remove the filters from my Dr Grabows.
"Better" is too subjective. As with most things pipe related, do what works best for YOU.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I like nonfilter pipes but I,m like Cortezattic when I smoke a cob then it,s filter all the way. I smoke Falcons or My Kirsten most of the time thats just a fast wipe out and it,s good to go and I like the cool clean smoke I get from them.

colorduke

Mar 5, 2011
I use a filter myself if i want snuff in my mouth i'll chew copenhagen or skoal,i just wonder who ever started the change the filter after every smoke rule wtf,i can smoke the same pipe for a few days before it's shot.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
You can buy an insert for filtered pipes if you don't want to use a filter.

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
I like to use filters in pipes that come with filters.

And although not technically a filter, a stinger is in fact a filter of sorts so I also like the stinger left in place in Kaywoodie 'Type' of pipes.... ie/ Kaywoodie, Dr. Grabow, Willard, etc.
As far as cleaning goes, I suppose it is a little bit easier to clean without a filter/stinger.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I find the stinger gets in the way (I like to run a cleaner through the stem midway through a bowl).

smoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2011
I smoke filtered and none filtered pipes. When i smoke the 1st bowl and it appears too wet i insert a filter to soak up the residue on the next bowl depending on what i'm smoking. The filters i use are the ryo filter tips they work well but only good for 1 bowl i simply use another when refilling and cleaning the pipe isn't too much of a problem.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
i read Marc's reply last night and tried a filter in my duke today and i guess i am too used to smoking it with out one because with the filter the pipe about burned the heck out of my hand

clutch

Lurker
Jun 10, 2011
i like the filters. That said, I smoke both. My favorite, for whatever reason, is the Vauen; it has a carbon filter, but not sure if it really "filters" the taste of the smoke... It must, but it still tastes good to me. The non-filter (IMHO) is more a purist, as people say it'll filter the taste. I'm a newbie, so I do what I like. I have several Savinellis and that use the balsa filter which I like but the Vauens fit and feel better for me. I have several filterless cobs that I have used to "test" the baccy. I'm not a "career" pipe connoisseur but... I have learned a lot from reading this forum and trying things that other people recommend and going from there. Best to you!

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
I don't use filters and when I get some with a pipe - I just toss them. My pipes smoke fine without them although...I might want to try the Brigham pipe system. In my Kaywoodies and Pipes by Lee - I leave the stinger in them. I am not a big fan of the stinger - since they just collect the juice - and are kind of a pain to really get clean.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
Where do you get "inserts" that restrict the draw a little (ala Brigham)?
I tend to like the cobs and Savinellis that are made for filters, but you have to take them apart each time to clean. (A pipe cleaner won't reach the inside walls of the filter sleeve. A Q-tip is necessary.)
If I had such an insert, it could be left in the pipe indefinitely with only a pipecleaner to handle the post-smoke cleaning. Ideally, it wouldn't be absorbent, but just an extension of the stem deep into the shank.

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
I use filters in pipes that take them, since I find they smoke better for me with them. They tend to collect unnescessary moisture in the smoke and stop me from getting a mouthful of tobacco or ash. That goes double on corn cobs, but the medico filters arent readily available here, so I use falcon filters. perfect fit. lets a bit of unfiltered smoke through too.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Jimbo - you can get Brigham Filter inserts at Smoking Pipes. I use them to restrict the draw in some pipes (namely straight cobs, I prefer to smoke my tobacco as opposed to eat it...), but they do require some minor alteration - namely, cutting about 1.75" off of the end. They are also narrower in outer diameter than Medico, Grabow, or Sav. filters, so they will leave a small gap in between the tube and the tenon which will require swabbing out regularly.
Clano, my Brighams are the only pipes that I leave the filters in, they don't affect the flavour like a rolled-up piece of cardboard, and I love how easy it makes cleaning my pipe post smoke...just rinse the filter under the tap and leave it to dry...the fit is so tight, and the filter so long, that it only leaves a half-inch or so of crud in the stem, up near the button.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
Where do you get "inserts" that restrict the draw a little (ala Brigham)?
SP carries 6mm adapters for Savinellis:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe%20accessories/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=77100

Status
Not open for further replies.