PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaeljayjay

Lurker
Nov 18, 2017
So I'm sitting here enjoying a bowl of aged Anniversary Kake in my new meer lined filtered Vauen pipe.
I can't believe how smooth this thing smokes. All the flavor with no harshness.
I think I might be a convert...
Everyone should try one at least once!!

michaeljayjay

Lurker
Nov 18, 2017
Give it a go, nothing to lose but a bowl of baccy :)
I may be able to go back and smoke the extra strong baccy with the filter now. Might order a tin to try.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I love my filters, especially with some strong virginias that upset my stomach. Vauen are good filters, so are peterson and stanwell. I have used some BCs as well, but I don't like those with all blends - it feels that they change the taste a bit. Same goes with any meerschaum grain filters ...

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Not being a filter user (despite owning several Savinellis), I never considered that different types (brands) of filter would work differently with the same blend. That last post tends to dissuade me from taking-up the filter, as I do not need yet another level of complexity. I'm already swamped by combinations and permutations of pipes and blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mostly, I'm not a filter user. My numerous Sav pipes that use filters have adaptors. I also use the 6 mm adaptors with my Dr. Grabow Royaltons. I was recently gifted an Austrian Kimberling 9mm filter pipe, that I have so far used with its filter. For mostly non-filter pipe smokers, an apt use of filters is for moderate smokers who attend a pipe show or pipe club where they smoke as many bowls as they would normally smoke in a week. In that situation, a filter is perfect. Likewise, if you want the taste of a full-strength blend but not all of the punch, a filter can be a pleasant accommodation. Much of the European pipe smoking community uses 9 mm filters all the time, I hear. So filter smokers are in cosmopolitan company.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I have a Vauen pipe, but I don't have any filters for it. I thought about getting some just to try them, as I don't mind filters in my pipes. I use Medico filters in my cobs and usually use Balsa filters in my Savinelli's, and have wondered what a charcoal filter would be like in comparison.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I do agree with Cortez on his reluctance to get too many different supplies and accessories for my pipes, currently having potential for three different kinds of filters plus the usual other needed items. I don't want keystones or the absorbent rings for Falcons, etc. etc. I think filters may actually make me smoke more since they dampen the nic and taste. I can usually get away with one or two bowls a day, and none without discomfort. I think a filter would prompt me to increase that.

Jun 27, 2016
This is what I do:
6mm pipe : no filter, no adapter. (Best draw.)
9mm pipe : 6mm balsa triangle filter, cut from hobby sticks. (Draw still very good, can also run a pipe cleaner through to bowl while smoking.)
Plus I usually run some meer chips in the bottoms of my bowls, save for my squat tomato meer pipe, which has a shallow bowl and not a lot of room for them.
:puffpipe:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Somehow after all these years I've never heard of the meer chips technique. Interesting. I always learn something on Forums.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I got tired of cleaning the space that should have a filter in it. So today I smoked this:
38764549542_eb9de8cf24_h_d.jpg

In this:
38078910354_f5e27198b0_k_d.jpg

The pipe is a little Medico that I just cleaned up. (It needs another coat of oil on the wood) and the inside of the stem was a mess from being smoked without the filter. I didn't have a problem with the filter at all, worked well. I do think I will make some 'filter inserts' out of delrin for use when filters aren't available. At least the gunk won't have as many places to hide that way.

wasnsfisher

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2017
Trief doin the filter thing, including the charcoal ones. Prefer smokin without em. My choice

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Couldn't find the filter for the Vauen so I did without.
I have a 1981 Brigham that uses their maple filter system (like a maple wood tube) and it smokes great. It takes a lot of moisture away from the smoke (or so they say).
Diversity is the spice of life right?

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
The only ones I use and like are the balsa ones and the only reason I use them is they catch moisture quite effectively and I have 3 pipes that ask for them. I don't believe for one second that they are actually a filter in the true sense of the word. Not like the charcoal ones I have tried that do filter. They filter flavour and nicotine out of my smoke and I can't imagine why on earth I would want that. However, I keep trying them and every time I have a muted smoke, insipid and dull.
If I see a pipe I like and it's a filter pipe I don't buy it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.