PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

lentuk

Lurker
Jul 5, 2017
Been smoking for a few months now, I have tried aromatics, especially like Lane 1Q, Latakia blends, Virginias and all sorts recommended tobaccos for new pipe smokers and I cant seem to eliminate tongue bite.

I have tried a Peterson System with P lip, a Kirsten Radiator that seems to work the best so far.

I am considering a Wiebe Radiator or a filter style pipe for the next trial, any recommendation on Filter vs. Radiator pipe?

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Sipping very lightly.......slow way down....pull the pipe away from your mouth more often and count to ten, then put it back in. Constant puffing and aromatics are a sure way to tongue bite.

bprivateaerdric

Might Stick Around
Jun 16, 2017
Lexington, KY
I just experienced a lot of this and got a whole slew of advice. Probably the two things that helped the most was :

1) Stop smoking and let your mouth heal.

2) Take smaller, less freq

bprivateaerdric

Might Stick Around
Jun 16, 2017
Lexington, KY
I just experienced a lot of this and got a whole slew of advice. Probably the three things that helped the most was:
1) Stop smoking for a week and let your mouth heal. Best Tip.
2) Take smaller, less frequent draws. To keep the pipe lit, there is the "Breath" method, which is basically letting a small amount of air pass back up the stem while breathing out. Since I am a holder and not a clencher, I ended up blowing on the mouthpiece from a few inches away, every other breath. I breathe, blow, breathe, blow, inhale and draw while exhaling, breathe, blow. Makes for a very slow smoke.
3) I keep a glass of cold club soda next to my hand.
One thing I found out by personal experience, for my personal metabolism, was to avoid all Virginias. You can find all the advice a few posts down in the beginners group. "Bad experience with tongue bite" or something like that.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"for my personal metabolism, was to avoid all Virginias."
Doing that would severely limit the amount of blends open to you as most blends contain a certain amount of Virginia tobacco.
Regards,
Jay.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
There is definitely a learning curve to pipe smoking, I had the same problems, and just concentrating on slowing my smoking cadence and learning to pack and dry the tobacco helped me out immensely.

It takes time, practice and perseverance to get it right, and now I smoke and pack my pipe without even thinking about it.

Only a few select tobaccos still demand a certain amount of my concentration while smoking.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
All of the above being said, still doesn't mean that I don't get bit from time to time.

It also needs to be said that sometimes tongue bite has to do with body chemistry as well.

Some blends just do not mix with a persons specific body chemistry and are more prone to bite that others.

For instance, Lane's American Patriot bites the hell out of me every time, as does SG Squadron Leader.

tomnernas2ndson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2011
Nebraska
In regards your pipe question, I have a variety of 9mm pipes, the Carey Magic Inch pipe, and Missouri Meerschaum cobs with filters. I like all three of those. I've never had or tired a radiator pipe. I guess I'll add it to the bucket list.. Good luck and listen to the gents on slowing down the smoking to avoid the bite.

Only one of my pipes (Savinelli) takes in a filter. After two or three attempts with the filter, I took it out, and replaced with an adapter. I personally feel filters are not needed, and many smokers prefer to smoke without a filter.
All good advice for avoiding tongue bite is given above.
Personally I don't like aromatics (Though I will smoke aromatics for a long time to come, as I bought 20 ounces of Lane Blends in my first TAD order) - Exceptions are Amphora and Germain - which are sufficiently tobacco forward.
I love Latakia and Perique (and believe Dunhill Nightcap to be the best tobacco ever blended) but trying Va / VaPers for a mellower smoke, when I am in the mood for it.
And lastly - beginners should go for full bodied tobacco (as stated by GL Pease and I fully agree) - it helps in slowing down the draw, and yet get sufficient flavor to be interesting

May 4, 2015
, I have a variety of 9mm pipes, the Carey Magic Inch pipe
I have a couple Magic Inches but have never smoked them. They look like good wood, but where do you get the filter sleeves for them?

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
The sleeves are readily available, and cheap on ebay. After getting some, it looks like one could cut and roll little sleeves from coffee filter paper too. It is just a thin filter paper sleeve, one layer.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I find that the carbon 9mm filters take out the "yuck" factor on some tobaccos, and the bite of wet aromatics. Peterson 9mm pipes are made with a decent grade of briar. I have found that the Big Ben filters work well and draw the easiest. Slower smoking and drying the tobacco is also good, and I encourage it, but still I find that I enjoy some tobaccos better with the filters. That being said, its all down to personal preference. If I were you, I would get an estate pipe that takes a 9mm and give it a try before spending a lot of cash on a new one. I have tried the Peterson, Rattrays, and FeRo 9mm pipes, and they have all been good.

archangel

Lurker
Jun 2, 2017
California
markthelad wrote-"There is definitely a learning curve to pipe smoking, I had the same problems, and just concentrating on slowing my smoking cadence and learning to pack and dry the tobacco helped me out immensely. It takes time, practice and perseverance to get it right, and now I smoke and pack my pipe without even thinking about it. Only a few select tobaccos still demand a certain amount of my concentration while smoking." I like your comment.

I believe that proper pipe smoking is a daily performance art, as we go thru the learning curve to perfect our artistry.

Status
Not open for further replies.