Tags:   

Filter-no filter

(31 posts)
  • Started 3 months ago by trouttimes
  • Latest reply from leafsmoker
  1. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

You guys say there are no dumb questions so here goes. I want your opinion. I have some pipes that came with filters years ago when I bought them and I threw them away quickly. The filters, not the pipes. So...do I have to use filters in my Dr Garbows or can I smoke them without (I have been smoking them san filter but...)?? Should I get adapters or just continue without filter or adapter? Why would I use a filter? Pros and cons on filters and adapters, please give me your thoughts. In the more open draws, I just slow down but is this proper or not? After all, I want to be proper.

Posted 3 months ago #
  2. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh man, a bit of a can of worms there.

Here's one take on the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e9FuBF4-G8

Personally, I don't like too open a draw. Thus, I use filters on my filtered pipes, with the Vauen being an exception—I use an adapter with it, because I found the Dr. Perl filters give off a rather strong plasticky taste once they become moist, and that taste overpowers the taste of the tobacco.

Filters are vilified by some on the assumption that they detract from the taste of the blend, but I haven't found that to be the case (aside from the Dr. Perl issue, of course).

OTOH, filters can help with moisture issues (I have NEVER had to run a pipe cleaner through the stem mid-smoke [and I couldn't anyways, what with the filter stuck in there and all]).

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 3 months ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here goes!

The paper Dr. Grabow/Medico filters are pieces of crap and should be removed from a new pipe and discarded immediately. The Savinelli 6mm balsa filters (or absorbers) are actually really, really good for when you want to use a filter. They fit 6mm Savs, Grabow filter pipes, and Missouri Meerschaum filter cobs.

I often use them in Grabows because I've had moisture leak from the stem/shank joint, but not always. The pipe smokes fine without them.

I never use them in cobs, because, being the ideal medium for a tobacco pipe, cobs never need them.

I use them in my two Savinellis as required, which is not often, but not exactly rare, either. 6mm Savs smoke better without the filter, generally speaking.

All of this is only in my opinion, of course. Use what you can and cheerfully discard the rest!

EDIT: Oh, and BTW, the adapters aren't even worth fiddling with.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  4. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As to draw, you can regulate it by tamping.

I have many dozen balsa filters, maybe I'll make a miniature Viking ship out of them.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would hold onto them as trade goods for when the tobacco hard times hit.

Posted 3 months ago #
  6. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After all, I want to be proper.

oh boy is this the wrong place for you!

The filter/non filter debate is as old as rocks. We will still be talking about this in 50 years if any of us are left. There are many pipes designed to run the usual 9mm filters and can be enjoyed just fine without them. There are pipes like Brigham and Savinelli that use a balsa or maple wood type filter. I like those very much, the 9mm not so much.

Like everything pipe related, do what works for you and your pipe.

Posted 3 months ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

kimbiker

Login to Send PM

Filters for me (9mm carbon or 6mm balsa), I do like the harshness they take away from some baccys too. Usually get the Adsorba or Peterson brands because they are the best value.

As you know they do seem to be more popular in Europe and most manufactures this side of the pond seem very pro filters.

Posted 3 months ago #
  8. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Marketing pioneer Daniel Boone Savinelli with an early focus group.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 3 months ago #
  9. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmmm ... I am european, so most guys here won't agree with me, but I love 9mm ceramic filters. Dr Grabow for example, I threw the paper filter out myself ... I prefer a balsa. I can't stand stingers - very few systems work for me. At the end of the day, whatever works for you, pal.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 3 months ago #
  10. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice, Cortez! For me there's no debate. You either like and use inserts/filters or not. The pipes I have that are made for inserts smoke fine with no alteration. Just pack and tamp a bit harder. Just a bit.

Posted 3 months ago #
  11. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hate to be wrong all the time, so sometimes I use them and sometimes I don’t. The world usually keeps spinning

Posted 3 months ago #
  12. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

I have pipes that take filters and pipes that don't. The Savinelli's and Vauen that do, I use the filters. The pipes that don't, I don't use them. I don't notice much of a difference.

Posted 3 months ago #
  13. shanez

shanez

Login to Send PM

I can't tell a difference between filter and no filter.

That being said I like the idea of a filter removing the things that can cause nastiness from the smoke.

That being said I'm worried that the filter *could* remove something that makes the smoke more enjoyable.

Oh wait, since I can't tell the difference at all, I'm just a lazy bastard who doesn't want to deal with filters so I don't use them.

YMMV

Posted 3 months ago #
  14. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You have to try the various filters, no filter, and adaptors, and decide. Most filter pipes will smoke fine without filters. You may want an adaptor with some or all pipes if you find the open draw too airy. It's all personal preference. I like pipes made without filters, or smoked without them with adaptors (usually). Filters are sometimes pleasant if you are smoking more and longer, like at a pipe show or pipe club. My only complaint about filters is that they are not well explained for beginners, so newbies don't know what their options are. Try the different ways and do what you like.

Posted 3 months ago #
  15. bnichols23

Bill

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^^ +3 dozen on what Tom said there. For myself, I'm basically a non-filter guy. However that said, Savinelli filters stand head/shoulders above most others. If you want a filter for a particular pipe because you just feel it needs it, go with that. If you just don't care, go with none as I do.

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  16. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

I'm a no filter kind of guy. One less thing to keep track of.

Tim
    Posted 3 months ago #
  17. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

timt, I agree. I'm suspicious of any extra supplies needed for a pipe. I don't want moisture rings, keystones, maple rock inserts, etc. Some may be useful or preferable to some, but simplicity in pipe smoking means a lot. There are arguably health benefits to filters, but smoking with a filter may make you smoke more, and so end up at the same place.

Posted 3 months ago #
  18. ernieq

ernieq

Login to Send PM

Can of worms! An an old time blender who has since passed, and was a bit of a mentor to me, told me "The most revered pipemakers in the world don't make filter pipes".
    Myself? find the effect the draw and mute flavors.

Posted 3 months ago #
  19. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This topic is always fun. I’m 44 years old. My thirties were for me a time of discovering just how much I didn’t know shit about a whole bunch of shit. My forties, so far, in that vein have been about realizing not to be alarmed by that fact, as that seems to be the general human condition, for myself as much as all the people I observe doing stupid shit everyday. It’s OK that I’m among them.

Filters, for example. When I started taking smoking a pipe somewhat seriously I really was a filter advocate. Look at all that moisture they suck up! This is great, filters are great. Well, OK. As I got older, perhaps not wiser, but certainly a more proficient manipulator of tobacco moisture, packing and the like, I could generally get nice dry smokes from my unfiltered pipes as well. That’s been the norm for me for a while now, and I don’t really feel there’s a difference anymore. I’m quite willing now to call out the dumbass younger me and say that guy wasn’t very good at smoking a pipe, so those all those smokes the first few years were way wetter and swampier than they should have been because my technique was lacking. The filters were a very helpful crutch in that regard, and certainly got me better more enjoyable bowls early on. I enjoyed it more, more quickly than I would have with unfiltered pipes. Other newbs may find the same.

I have several Savinellis, and I generally use the Sav balsa filters (also in my cobs; they fit perfectly). I think I do so now because I prefer the draw they give than when I don’t use them AND I find the seperate removal and cleaning of the adapter to be annoying. I’m not an everyday smoker, so a $25 box of 300 inserts lasts me a very long time, well over a year. It’s just easier to use a fresh one for each smoke and then throw it away.

Posted 3 months ago #
  20. techie

techie

Login to Send PM

Until I read this thread I'd forgotten about the filter pipes that I've been smoking with no filters. I've gotten used to the open draw and naturally control it through tamping. So for this absent-minded piper I prefer no filter because it's one less thing to think about when enjoying a smoke.

I did try the filters in the beginning but didn't notice a difference with or without except for the draw.

Posted 3 months ago #
  21. coyja

coyja

Login to Send PM

I hate all filters, except balsa, which I love immensely.
    Savinelli really figured it out with them.
    Zero effect on flavor or taste while (almost) removing risk of tongue burn and some tar.
    You're done? Toss them in the grass, its just a piece of wood!
    Plus, balsa can absorb 5x its weight in water, so feel free to be cheap like me and break them in half... they work just as well.
    I'm definitely balsa filter for life.

Posted 3 months ago #
  22. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Filter, smilter, throw them out. I have plenty of pipes that take either 9 or 6mm filters. I smoke them all sans filter. To me adapters and filters just create turbulence and therefore issues.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  23. mityahicks

mityahicks

Login to Send PM

I actually consistently use filters and go unfiltered. I particularly enjoy my Brigham filters and I have A Gaco Dublin filter (9mm vauen) that I enjoy using when I want to smoke aromatics or baccy I'm just trying to use up.

That being said, I'm drifting more away from them as my experience deepens. Having my first Clay and Meershaum also help, they just plain smoke dry and filters don't seem required.

Posted 3 months ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

michiganlover

Login to Send PM

I smoke both with filter and without.

My cobs that don't have some version of a Forever Stem I smoke without the filter and like the open draw.

Dr Grabows that take filters I sometimes smoke with a filter as they can sometimes leak juice without the filter.

I Have a couple Savinelli's I smoke with the adapter, the adapter can cause gurgle.

Stingers are an invention of the devil, and must always be tossed, as they do nothing but cause gurgle in my experience.

As far as filters go the Savinelli balsa is much better than the paper filters.

Posted 3 months ago #
  25. economistandfisherman

economistandfisherman

Login to Send PM

I've always used a balsa wood filter in my Savinelli pipes, and if you've seen the amount of crud on one after only a few bowls, you'll see why I only smoke with filters. That said, I'm also something of a hypocrite as I smoke cigars as well, lol. Maybe using a filter on a pipe somehow psychologically justifies my cigar smoking

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest”
    Adam Smith
    Posted 3 months ago #
  26. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Do you filter guys want to live forever?

Posted 3 months ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

elpfeife

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No because for most folks the mind is not there long before forever!

Posted 3 months ago #
  28. them4chef

them4chef

Login to Send PM

I'm fairly new to the pipe scene and have a number of savinelli's and find their balsa filters do a fantastic job, I bought a 100 pack and just keep a couple out on rotation to dry between smokes before I toss them. I also have a few Brighams and use the rock maple inserts in the same way as balsa filters though their life is longer. I also finally caught on that a quality briar like my dunhills that pass pipe cleaners with ease make for a delightful unfiltered smoke.

Posted 3 months ago #
  29. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess I'm extending a post I've made, but it does seem annoying (or something) that there aren't standard impartial brochures that run down basics on filters. Every last man-jack (or woman-jack) pipe smoker has to pick this information up piecemeal, and there's quite a bit to it. Filters and stingers and tubes of various kinds, and balsa and key stones, all need to be mentioned and put in perspective. And yes, you can smoke most pipes without these extras. As with any interest or hobby, there's a lot to learn with pipes and pipe tobaccos, and in terms of information, filters/etc. seem to be a sort of mean trick for beginners. The basics could be summarized in a single-spaced page, without badmouthing filters, but allowing as how they are not required either. Why have people buying pipes with or without filters that they soon discover they'd prefer not to own? Somehow I dodged around the question and learned enough to get what I wanted, but I feel badly for most newcomers who plod up this learning curve. It annoys me, so I can imagine how it makes them feel.

Posted 3 months ago #
  30. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't like filters, only have a couple of cobs and one briar that will take a filter. That would automatically make most any briar a "no go" if it had a filter. I don't want anything between me and the beautiful tobacco I'm smoking.

Try it both ways. If you prefer having the filter, then use them. I formed my own opinion and I really don't care whether other people use filters or not. They're not smoking my pipe for me.

Posted 3 months ago #
  31. leafsmoker

leafsmoker

Login to Send PM

I personally smoke the balsa and use the pipe as a filter.No,but really, I never bought a filtered pipe.My thoughts is, it would take away some good flavors if used??I guess that's why there is Reverse calabash pipes now. I have a few of the Reverse calabash pipes and I have no problems with them.I guess if I ever needed a filter for one I would go with the balsa...All personal preference I guess.

The walls have ears, the windows have eyes, and the wise man tells no lies.
    You can offer someone a cigar, but you can never offer someone your pipe.
    Posted 2 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   robcapp, alexj52, monkeylyf, scloyd, kimbiker, mikethompson