Tags:  No tags yet. 

Filter adapter

(9 posts)
  • Started 2 months ago by wannabe
  • Latest reply from krizzose
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

wannabe

Login to Send PM

Does anyone on the forum have any ideas on making filter adapters out of wood, other than Balsa?
    Thanks

Posted 2 months ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No, but let me help pin down the question. You don't want to make a substitute filter out wood; you want to make an adaptor to eliminate the filter, such as the ones usually made out of plastic that come with Savinelli pipes for one example. Am I on the right track? I would think there might be some sort of tubing of appropriate diameter that could be sawed or cut to length, but I don't know what it would be.

Posted 2 months ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

wannabe

Login to Send PM

Yup, correct! I'm wanting to figure out how to replace the Savinelli adapter. If it would be possible with a wood specie, or only some type of plastic??

Posted 2 months ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

panamacharlie

Login to Send PM

Why would you want to make one, as a 5-pack is just $4.00 from Smokingpipes.com

Posted 2 months ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Using dowel of appropriate diameter, it would be possible to drill it out. Depending on the wood, it might or might not be durable. In my experience, the plastic ones are not heated enough to cause any problem or impart any taste, so I'm not sure this is worth the effort, but it is possible, and somewhat easy, if you have a steady and precise hand.

Posted 2 months ago #
  6. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't even bother with an adapter. I just take out the filter, leave the out the adapter, and smoke it as is. More open draw that way. Usually improves the smoke.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 months ago #
  7. jfred

jfred

Login to Send PM

^^ I agree. Never had a fully satisfying smoke with either balsa filter or adapter, but it goes perfectly well leaving it out.

Posted 2 months ago #
  8. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've always just left the filter out. I found out later that there were adapters for the purpose, but it seems unnecessary to me. Have you tried your pipe just without the filter? You might find you don't need it either.

Posted 2 months ago #
  9. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The OPbis describing something very similar to the Brigham maple inserts

Posted 2 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   acidpox, ashdigger, lestrout, snagstangl, jaytex969, geopiper, odobenus, oldgeezersmoker, pitchfork, boffosquid, ben88, disinformatique, ray47, morgansteele