PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't go looking for pipes with fills, and I appreciate it when I buy a pipe if there aren't any, or if they are completely concealed so I don't every know about them, usually by some aspect of the finish. However, over the years, I have bought a few pipes (maybe a few more than a few) that have visible fills. Some examples are the old Benton pipes sold and stamped as Iwan Ries house pipes, and others are the unfinished Savinelli pipes, some of which have visible fills. In all cases, these pipe have been fine smokers. The IR pipes are made from excellent Algerian briar, and the Sav pipes smoke as well as any of their up-market fine finish pipes. I have never had a fill-related burnout, and none of the fills has ever popped out nor become so discolored as to offend. I don't dispute avoiding fills. I do. But unless your are particularly meticulous about fills, I don't think it is ever a deal breaker, as long as the quality of the smoking is good and the price takes the fills into account. I don't think it is an apology to say a fill or two can give a pipe a little character and personality. You may be as likely to have a flaw in a pipe without fills, or visible fills.

Jan 8, 2013
I would rather a small flaw be left alone than filled. A minor flaw in the pipe just looks like a little black dot when the pipe has been stained. I can live with a few minor flaws in a pipe. Of course if there are many flaws, or the flaws are quite large, then the pipe should probably be rusticated. On an unstained pipe, as the briar darkens from use, the fills remain light, and that can be irritating. One of my unfinished pipes has six fills in close proximity to each other and they stick out like a sore thumb because they're lighter in color. A flaw here and there adds character, but fills can be ugly.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
This Rattray bulldog was stained very dark, and then lacquered. In an experiment to see if removing the lacquer would improve the smoke I sanded it and finished it with carnauba wax. (BTW, I feel it now smokes better.)
The re-finishing revealed a really nice 360° mix of vertical straight and flame grain, and I can only conclude that the original finish was applied merely to conceal a few dark fills. Those few fills don't bother me at all, and I enjoy the appearance of the newly exposed grain.

rattraynewleft.jpg

rattraynewbott.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I have a Hardcastle billiard whose shaping I adore. What I don't adore are the 11 fills. I would have much preferred that the pits not be filled, but since they were, why not use putty darker than the stain anticipating patina. I love the pipe and got it on the cheap, so really who cares? I do.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I agree with everything said so far. But, that said, I would rather have a pipe with fills than no pipe.

One day I want to try rusticating a pipe with fills, if I find the right one.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Putty fills used to niggle me a little but over time I've come to realise that they're part and parcel of some pipes so ignore them now. However, as others have said, I'd rather a small pit was left alone and not putty filled. The James Upshall 'Tilshead' line of pipes are said to have minor blemishes and are left alone. I have two though I cannot for the life of me find any pits on either pipe!
If I were paying top dollar for a pipe however, I would expect it to be totally fill free.
Regards,
Jay.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
As long as I can fill the top and nothing falls out the bottom, I don't give it much thought.
That being said, my most costly pipe to date was only $75.
After I save enough milk money to replace the roof and get a new bike, then I'll get more selective about my briars.
jay-roger.jpg

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I too would rather have a small imperfection or hole than a pink fill on a nicely grained pipe. One of my most beautiful straight grains has fills on one side. I didn't care much about them when I first started buying pipes a couple years ago. However, the other day I was looking at Fleabay pipes and heard myself make an audible "Ewww" sound as I sped past a picture of a nasty fill on an otherwise very nice pipe. I have to conclude my newly found pipe snobbery was acquired right here at Pipesmagazine, since this is the only place, virtual or otherwise, where I interact with anyone on anything pipe related, aside from looking at Fleabay. I'll be working on this character flaw (?) for some time. Thank you?!? :crazy:

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
In the mid 70ties a local tobacconist had a BBB Straight Grain Canadian shape

in his window. The price were 375 - in the upper end but ok.

But it had a small fill in the shank so I did not buy it and some day it was gone.
I still dream about that pipe at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.