PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
So I have turned my HS buddy on to the pipe and after trying my selection of blends, he is decisively in the Latakia and Oriental camp with some interest in Aros.
The order, so far:
Quiet Nights, 8 oz tin

McClelland Blending Latakia, 1 OZ

C&D Granulated Perique, 1 oz

LA Brumeuse, 2 packages

Petersons Perfect Plug, 1 tin
He has read the Quiet Nights reviews and is sold that it is the blend for him. Any other suggestions? He gave me a budget of $250

Jan 8, 2013
For a good crossover concerning latakia and aromatics, I would suggest Kramer's Blend For Cary Grant. A great non aromatic blend would be McClelland Balkan Blue. It's one of my favorites, as well as Hearth & Home Black House.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I can heartily recommend Kramer's Mixture for Cary Grant. I'm not much of a Latakia guy anymore, BUT this blend hits all the notes.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
No to the Penzance. There is none readily available through retail and I do not recommend he buy it in any case with blends like Quiet Nights available. Besides, he got to try my small stash. He can afford to go after it if he decides to do so but it will be without my help. I think the Frog series are a good choice but which should I put in his cart?

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
No to the Penzance. There is none readily available through retail and I do not recommend he buy it in any case with blends like Quiet Nights available. Besides, he got to try my small stash. He can afford to go after it if he decides to do so but it will be without my help. I think the Frog series are a good choice but which should I put in his cart?
Yeah good call regarding the zance. Id go original FM cellar...just my opinion. Quiet nights is an excellent choice too, good addition there.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
And regarding the Penzance, it is good enough at regular prices but I can't recommend he pay the going rates when there are so many as good as and better blends available at 1/10th the cost. It just isn't that good. At least not in my estimation. Maybe he will think so one day. That dumbassery will be on him, not me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Duane, are all of those different enough for me to put them in the cart or should I select from them?
Sextant and Black Frigate are similar, just different cuts. The rest are very different from one another, but definitely worth trying.

Jun 27, 2016
You might go with some Levant although you have to get a 100g tin, and it's slightly more expensive than some other tobaccos. It is VA, Ori, and Latakia, and some Carolina Bright Leaf I believe is what it says. While I have been smoking it this past week, it keeps reminding me of some year-old Margate that I had smoked not too long ago. I will be doing some direct comparo-smokes starting tomorrow to see if I am imagining things because they do not look at all like each-other. I can tell now that the Levant has similar sweetness, maybe a little less Latakia, but the Lat in it is good-tasting and present throughout the bowl, and the Oris might be a little more subdued in the Levant than in the Margate, but similar in flavor. The Levant has consistent flavors throughout the bowl and I have been enjoying smoking it. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.