PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Say, fellows, what's the way to properly fill a butane lighter? Fill it with the gas release locked,fill it partially with the release open then closed, or what?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I always bleed the lighter first, turn it upside down and fill for around 5 seconds. I haven't tried what you suggested. I'm guessing you're thinking the butane coming in would purge the air in the chamber?

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
turn it upside down.. spike the fuel in. If it gets cold, your good. if not bleed it, repeat.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
-Bleed the lighter

-Fill for 5 seconds

-Repeat

You are good to go. Some advise to set the flame height adjuster to minimum while refilling. I find it time and energy consuming. Life is too short to do that as well as safely removing mass storage devices, I just unplug my USB sticks.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
If you want to get a max fill, bleed the lighter, put the empty lighter in the freezer for a few minutes, I warm the gas can under my arm while I wait and then fill. I don't normally use this method except on Duponts using the single fill cans. 8O

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Put lighter in refrigerator or other cold place first for awhile. (Here it’s cold enough in the garage now.) When brought in from the cold, the lighter will fill easier & quicker.
P.S. - it looks like this was already suggested.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Life is too short to do that as well as safely removing mass storage devices, I just unplug my USB sticks.
OMG!!! You, Sir, will rot in hell for this egregious disregard of important safety instructions!! You are warned. The penalty is 100 years in purgatory in the company of an excited Steve Ballmer, and a pissed off Steve Jobs.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Javan - our resident badass mod! :)
Sure thing.
OMG!!! You, Sir, will rot in hell for this egregious disregard of important safety instructions!! You are warned. The penalty is 100 years in purgatory in the company of an excited Steve Ballmer, and a pissed off Steve Jobs.
I hope the Hell is properly filled with the fuel.
And don't use a ballpoint pen to bleed it. Not now, not later, not ever.
I use the poker of the Czech tool.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
They come with manufacturers instructions ?
Maybe that’s in the packaging I throw away

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
For the record, every answer in this thread is incorrect...but that's all I know for certain.
Since Haja was banned, all high-level lighter knowledge has been lost.

ernieq

Might Stick Around
Aug 9, 2018
All good advice here. I'd say, in my experience, it's not so much what you should do, but what you shouldn't do. First, ABSOLUTELY bleed the lighter EVERY TIME you fill it. I never top off a half-full lighter as I find it just introduces air into the system over time. Bleed it all out. I depress the valve not only long enough to visibly see all the butane come out, but long enough for it to stop hissing. It's longer than you think.
Now when you fill it, if any butane squirts out you either 1) Don't have the nozzle set over the valve properly, 2) Aren't pushing down hard enough or 3)Your seal is messed up and you need repair.
When you push down and begin the fill, make sure to keep consistent downward pressure on the can...nice and steady. Don't push it in and out like you're trying to make the can perform an obscene act on the lighter

balindamood

Lurker
Oct 1, 2018
The only thing that works for me involves the sacrifice of a chicken. Luckily, my local tobacconist helps me when I buy a tin. I have more tins than chickens.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Also, it's advisable to turn the flame height adjustment all the way down before filling. If you don't the flame may become shorter as time goes on.
Russ

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Good to know, Last time I filled mine when it lit I was reminded of Kenickie from Grease....

Status
Not open for further replies.