Filling and smoking my pipes correctly ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lenticular

Lurker
Mar 9, 2015
Hi all,

New member here from the mountains of Mid Wales.

Although I smoked pipes in the 60's when at college I think I was just trying to look "academic" and don't think I know what I was doing.

Now after years of cigar smoking I have taken up pipe smoking again.

I have read many websites instructing on how to fill and use a pipe but even so it still seems hit and miss.

I somtimes light a pipe just a couple of times and smoke to the bottom of the bowl, other times I am constantly re-lighting.

However I have just discoved by doing the following I am being more successful but to experienced pipe smokers does it make sense ?

If I fill my pipe and light and tamp once, then leaving for several hours it then seems to burn much better.

Of course I rotate my pipes so one is always ready.

My tobacco is kept in sealed jars and I use the small moisture retaining stones, but perhaps the tobacco is too damp?

Advice gladly received. Thanks !!

welsh1

Lurker
Feb 26, 2015
Hello mid Wales from Swansea!!!! I Have been pipe smoking for only a week so I am of little help to you expect maybe try another tobacco

Or dry out the one you have

lenticular

Lurker
Mar 9, 2015
Such a quick reply from so close. Amazing.
Thanks anyway but hoping to see if experienced pipe smokers think what I am suggesting makes sense.
Did you know there is someone in Pembrokeshire selling estate pipes of quality refurbished to what seems like new condition?

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/estatepipeshop?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Well the advice of drying your Tobacco may be just what you need to do. It is a crucial part of pipe smoking. Along with packing and lighting properly. The routine you do is basically drying your tobacco out while it is packed, which will take much longer.

Jun 4, 2014
Welcome! Try spreading out some tobacco on a plate and let it dry. Some blends will be ready to go after 10 or 15 minutes, some need longer. Some people microwave it for a few seconds. I have not tried this as with my luck I'd end up with pipe tobacco all over the inside of the microwave!

lenticular

Lurker
Mar 9, 2015
Thanks very much for the helpful replies.

I think I was using tobacco too quickly from my storage jars.
Pleased I have found this website and I will enjoy following the various topics.
Best wishes to all !

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
More likely than not it's a moisture issue. Take out the approximate amount of tobacco for a bowl and place it on a napkin or paper plate for 15 to 20 minutes. Of course this can vary greatly with certain blends. Other than that simply keep your tobacco in Mason jars with no need for a wet stone. By the way... welcome to the site.

Mar 1, 2014
Aromatics may be more flavourful if you dry them less, but in some cases they also burn like a wildfire straight out of the tin (I think Sutliff Top Shelf was the fastest burning tobacco I ever tried, even faster than the bone dry Five Brothers).

Status
Not open for further replies.