PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I have been smoking a lot of flakes and other cuts that take a little attention if not packed just right. Yesterday I decided to smoke some Carter Hall and after I did a two step fill, char & tamp. I went about my business of messing around in the garden and watching the impending storm. Before I knew it I was done with the bowl without any tamping, ash dump (I like to do one half way through a bowl) or relights (I even set the pipe down a number of times).
Outside of my beloved Sugar Barrel I do not have any other baccys that are “Fill and Forget”. Can you make suggestions, based on experience, of other tobaccos that are like that?

Jan 8, 2013
Old Dark Fired Ready Rubbed is like that. Once it is lit, I can smoke the whole bowl without any maintenance. I dry it to a crisp before packing though, so it just burns.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
It's one of the main reasons, I always have Carter Hall around. Honestly, sometimes I find some flake tobaccos frustrating, in that in order to get a good smoke out of them, you've got to invest serious amounts of time to prep. Carter Hall, I can just dip my pipe in the tub to fill, push down tobacco with finger, and light. Obviously, you can do the same thing with Prince Albert, but that's the same type of tobacco.

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
I was going to say Sugar Barrel ---- But since that's covered - I found Peterson Sherlock and their Balkan (i don't like the Balkan blend by them, but it's a fill and forget) - LJ Peretti burley blends in general...the burley with light topping to no topping always seems to do well in my pipes

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
If you are a Virginia fan I would recommend GL Pease Laurel Heights. It is a great straight VA that is a fine ribbon cut making it easy to pack and smoke. Also offers some tremendous flavor.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Early Morning Pipe does well in this regard but I suspect most shag cut tobaccos do well, unless they are PG heavy aros.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
ODF goes good if it's packed right and dry enough. In my experience though, Dunhill Flake is my "set and forget" tobacco. I just loosen up a flake, lightly rubbed out, stuff, a little shake on top and you are off to the races. If moisture isn't too high and you use your tamper judiciously, many blends are trouble free.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Two that do it for me are quite different from one another; Gaslight and Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream. When packed loosely, Gaslight stays lit for over an hour. BD also stays lit for the entire bowl, which I believe is due mainly to the several different cuts in this blend.

Anyway, both are low maintenance for me and very enjoyable.

I like to dry my VA and VaPer flakes out to crunchy, and either rub them out or cube cut them for a pleasant no-brainer smoke. I also love to do this in my garden or when I am at the workbench. I know its been a great smoke when I realize an hour or so later with the taste of ash.

and +1 on ODF, good stuff.
Folding and stuffing a flake is good, I do it for a richer flavor and slower burn, but I tend to just do this when I can focus my mind on smoking like at the end of the day.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
It seems cube cutting is the answer besides the handful of baccy like CH. I'll be getting an order together today with some of the recommendations given and cube cut a few flakes and see how they smoke. Since my favorite pipe is the MM 5th av i already have a perfect pipe for cube cutting. Now, where are those scissors?

Status
Not open for further replies.