PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Just curious for those who sell their pipes, how do you determine the pricing?
I restored about 40 pipes last year, but I determined that I only like pipes with 9mm filters and I'm not one for collections. I have 3 go-to pipes and don't need any more.
A few (Peterson Meerschaum for example) I have seen on occasion on eBay and have an idea of it's value, but a lot of the pipes I have no idea, and a few I'm not even sure what they're made of.
Any advice/resources? Putting the money towards another project so, trying to avoid selling $50 pipes for $5. :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You could post photos and info here, and get some feedback. Otherwise, perusing not just eBay but other pipe sales might help. Many of the sites sponsors offer estate pipes.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
I debated posting here but thought it could go either way... either gets lots of help, or lots of people bothered that I'm just pricing stuff for eBay. :D
I think most of the pipes are of the under $10 variety, and may do groups for sale, like, I have 3 Brighams I can group, 3 Carey Magic Inch as a group, etc...
Maybe I'll upload my collection to my Photobucket and post a link and if people can help that would be great. Plus can maybe sell on here if something catches someone's eye... I know a while back I posted about 2 pipes and had a few people express interest.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I spent a WHOLE LOT OF TIME on EBay for about 18 months before I felt like I knew enough to talk about pipe prices, and that was for average stuff, not real high quality anything.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Ever so often I hop on and take a look, but never seem to find matches for half the stuff. One of those things where you can have 2 pipes that look the same, but brand/model can make the price jump up pretty quick, or be worth nothing.
I'm pretty certain that for a few, I'll have to group-sell, which isn't a problem. Most were bought as a group because out of 6 pipes I wanted 1. But, a few were pretty cheap because seller was just someone getting rid of old pipes they found. Got my Peterson Meerschaum for $7, cleaned up the band/stem since the pic was taken... pretty sure worth more than $7. :D

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Ebay sold listings can suggest the market value of things but is often skewed by bidding wars between two people.
I tend to look at estate sellers with their own website like brarblues, pulvers brair, smokingpipes, and mkelaw.
Otherwise there are many helpful guys here, myself included who would give you honest guidance for nothing in return.
As for the Peterson Meer, the picture won't load but if it is nice condition I wouldn't hesitate to ask $100.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
If you have that many then consider sending them for consignment like @pipestud, Smokingpipes.com or even Stem and Briar will be happy to sell them and they would know how to appraise and list for the right price

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Thanks for the info... sorry for the delay. :)
Was planning to sell all before Xmas but then got side tracked. I will start posting them this weekend though, the first 2 to sell are the Peterson's Meerschaum and this odd looking one,
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a611/THRobinson/Smoking%20Pipes/Pipe%20016%20-%20Elsi%20Bruyere%20Huntsmans%20Pipe/IMG_6138_zpscmnobu99.jpg
Elsi Bruyere Huntsman...
The Peterson is a nice looking one, cleaned and sanitized, polished the stem and ready to go, though I think the band is Nickel not Silver... not sure. Photo is before I cleaned it up. I'll be shooting new images on the weekend when I have better light (hate using flash photography).
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a611/THRobinson/Smoking%20Pipes/Pipe%20018%20-%20KP%20Peterson%20Meerscauhm/_MG_6173_zpsfr72lxi3.jpg
Peterson I guess about $100... the Elsi... I didn't clean it or anything, just left as is... not sure what something like that is worth or even if a real pipe.
Anyone know much about these?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wouldn't use only ebay for pricing references. Sure, look at ebay if that's your marketing site, but look other places. Look at the estate pipes at online retailers. Look at new pipe prices regularly as a reference point. If you enjoy pipe "window shopping," that will help a lot, so you are always checking on what's sold at what prices. Posting here is a good idea, for pricing estimates. Pipe shows (often somewhat discounted) are also useful, if you live near one. Pipe shops too. Meantime, figure out what your cost is for the pipe itself, labor in restoration, materials. Also, marketing strategy, where to start bidding. I suspect if you count your labor, you'll often just break even.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
THR- The links are not loading. But here's a way to get them to show:
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Nope, not just using eBay for pricing... pretty much where I can find a match if they show pricing is what I'd doing. That said, they're being sold on eBay, about 40 of them I think I have. Cleaned, sanitized, buffed and polished. Most bought as lots for something to do... but after a while learned that I only like the pipes with 9mm filters so, after I cleaned all these pipes up, they've just been sitting there. :D
Photo image wise... I have no idea why they don't work for you. Works fine for me... using Chrome or IE, logged into Photobucket or logged off. If I send the link to my friend through Skype, link works for him as well.
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a611/THRobinson/Smoking%20Pipes/Pipe%20016%20-%20Elsi%20Bruyere%20Huntsmans%20Pipe/IMG_6138_zpscmnobu99.jpg
Well, doing what you suggested seems to bring up the same URL as above. Wonder if the IMG tags work
IMG_6138_zpscmnobu99.jpg

_MG_6173_zpsfr72lxi3.jpg

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Many I think will be around that... pretty sure will have to do lots.
A small few however like the Peterson, I'll start a bit higher up than $1 though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.