PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
The title isn't entirely accurate to what I'm trying to get across but it's the best I can do without saying "Drinking Water With Your Pipe", which would just give people all sorts of crazy ideas.

I'm still learning the ropes, but last year I didn't seem to get as severe a reaction to my pipes as I do right now, and one of the main differences I can think of is that last year I usually had a can of something to drink while I was smoking.

So I've been wondering:
Do you find drinking something while smoking your pipe to significantly reduce any negative effects?
(Any and all comments on interactions between your pipes and drinks are welcome, the more information the better.)

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Absolutely. There are a cadre of old salts out there with properly seasoned tongues that think not at all about loading up Gawiths sopping wet flakes and burning them down to ash. For we mere journeymen a beverage is all but necessity unless smoking something exceptionally cool. I try to drink something that will balance the ph of whatever I"m smoking.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
I like lemonade, for the pH reason mentioned and the refreshing and cleansing citrus.
I recently switched to the German Packing method--I seem to get less tongue bother all around. Probably because I'm relighting less frequently, and I'm not puffing as hard to keep it lit.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I always drink water before smoking a pipe to clean my mouth. I am also using German Packing method and it helps a lot with the tongue bite. I also have a hybrid method which I prefer for longer smokes. I pack with the 3 step method, and in the 3rd step instead of pushing tobacco down I just pack it like the German method. I squeeze the tobacco to the center and barely push it down. That is the best method working for me. I always keep the center of the tobacco burned, it keeps the burn even and prevents the smoke from getting hot. Mostly it depends on my mood what I am going to drink while smoking my pipe, it may be a coffee, tea, soft drink, water, alcohol, etc. The good news is I like testing and at the moment I am working on something to beat the tongue bite. In case of being successful, I will inform you guys.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
I've recently been drinking a glass of good quality medium dry Oloroso Sherry in the evening with my pipe. I tend to smoke aromatics so the touch of sweetness in the sherry works, and the natural acidity is refreshing with the nutty, woody and caramelised notes seem to go well with the tobacco. Incidentally I suffer less tongue bite than before but I'm unsure if my smoking technique is improving or if my beverage of choice is helping!
Probably a little of both!

Mar 1, 2014
http://www.sheltondentistry.com/patient-information/ph-values-common-drinks/
Looks like Coca-Cola gets top marks for lowering the PH in your mouth. Hopefully store brands follow suit.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
"German Packing method", is that the Frank method?
For loose cuts I've gotten lazy and instead of the three pinch packing I just do two.
I always have a water with me when I'm having a bowl. Helps keep the palate moist and draw out the flavor of the blend better. I will say I haven't experienced tongue bite much if at all while just having a water with the pipe.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
I've found I just can't do alcohol or carbonation with smoke.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'd actually recommend a newbie start pairing a smoke with a soda. If you smoke too fast and hot a soda will let you know it very quickly. Once you have a nice slow cool pace down the soda won't set your tongue on fire and you'll get more flavor out of the tobacco.

Ha ha, try smoking a big bowl of MacBaren's VA #1 without any hydration, and then take a sip of anything. That mouth-full-of-yellowjackets feeling, ha ha. You gotta love it.
The only thing terrible is if I am driving when I take that sip after finishing a bowl. My eyes water up and my central nervous system freezes up to where I get a little nervous in traffic. So, don't drink after smoking while driving. :puffy:

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Interesting tip, LOTPR...I do tend to chug a little hard. That's alright by me, though--flavor is just one of the many excellent reasons I smoke, and not the most important one.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Probably better to do like Smokey Bear says and prevent forest fires rather than try to put them out later. Smoke decent tobacco (meaning, NOT drugstore blends or most aros), keep it at the right humidity (not so dry a pinch crumbles to dust, not so wet a pinch stays together), and smoke it slowly.
Smoking does dry and dehydrate, so a glass of water after a smoke is fine. Keeping hydrated in general is fine.
I've found I just can't do alcohol or carbonation with smoke.

That's good actually, because alcohol reduces the protective coating on oral mucosal tissue and raises the risk of oral cancers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Somehow a beverage seems to condition the mouth to connect with flavor better, as long as the flavor of the beverage isn't too dominant. In some cases, like really fine single malt Scotch, I just think one ecstasy at a time is best. However, for taming tongue bite, what helps me the most is smoking non-aromatic blends. I do fine with strong taste and strong nicotine. It's those flavorings burning that really leave me with an irritated mouth.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I dink lots of water with a pipe. But, there are some tobaccos that I just naturally stay away from. Many of the Macbaren tobaccos really light up my mouth, as do some of the aromatics. Water seems to help me, but I do not challenge my tongue any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.