PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
When we got up this morning it was cold. Too cold for old bones to get excited about working outside, so . . .

I suggested going out to lunch via Costco.
Being the clever guy that I am, after Costco, I looked very surprised at my wife and said, "You know, we aren't that far from the Tinderbox!" (Actually it was about 15 miles, but still closer than to our house.) She's a good natured woman that sees thru me in a second, so she just smiled and said "sure."
I love a brick and mortar. We walked in and I was in heaven! The smell and feel of the jars. The pipes in the cases and on the wall, even the cigar boxes stacked up empty for sale. I loved it all! I even went so far as to hold a couple of Churchwardens to see if I could live with the long stem. And then I saw a sight that would make any of us happy. My wife was lifting lids and enjoying the smells as much as I do.
All to soon it was time to leave (after all, I'd promised her lunch). Clutching my 4 oz. bag of Tinderbox Sunset and matches, I reluctantly left. (4 oz is $19.00 in our area and since we'd spent a couple of hundred at Costco I wasn't ready to spend more - besides Santa will be coming soon from the look on my wife's face.)
We drove another 10 miles to a little dive in the port of Tacoma called "Quik Pick". They make the best burgers in the area. All and all, it was a great field trip.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Sounds like a great trip! I'm always searching for the best burgers around, and really enjoy the "greasy spoon" diners. I got one just down the street from me. Great breakfast!
I think I might be getting my wife to come around to my pipe smoking. I hinted that I might like some McClelland Christmas tobacco, and this was the first time she didn't tell me "you have so much already!" She does enjoy the smell of my aros though. but any lat smells like campfire, and any VA smells like hay or raisins

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My local Tinder Box has recently relocated within the same mall for the second time (third location if I remember).

It is always a good time to stop by and check out the offerings. My loyalty is divided between them and a real old

timely independent pipe shop down in campus town near the university. I guess my first loyalty goes to the indy,

where I try to buy my bulk tobacco when he has what I want, pipe cleaners, and more than a few pipes over many

years. The indy pipe shop gives permission to smoke, but the Tinder Box cannot, in the mall. A good pipe shop is

quite a shrine to those of us who are devoted to them.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
Sounds like she might even be getting close to saying "maybe you should try this one". Her being interested can only mean good things for you. Glad to hear you had a great day.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I too love the masculine aromas of a B&M, I love the dozens and dozens of beautiful carved chunks of briar waiting for a new home. The Tinderbox in Dublin, OH. has the best amibiance of any B&M I've been in thus far, they display their collection of old and (sealed) tins in such a manner it makes me wistful for a past I never saw. On top of the general feeling of tobacco happiness are the employees, some of the nicest and most informed pipe smokers I've met.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
There is nothing like a great old tobacco shop. Unfortunately, as we all know, they are quickly disappearing from local neighborhoods.
In NYC, one such shop is De La Concha, where anyone is welcome to come in and light up a good cigar or pipe without any pressure to purchase anything. Although now most of their business s cigars, they have many pipes and humidor s , pipe cases etc on display
Just this past Thursday afternoon I and a friend went there and sat around meeting new friends and just chewed the fat over some fine tobacco, and afterwards went back to our business
A nice way to spend an hour or two

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
There are very few B&Ms left in Washington. The Tinderbox in Tacoma is the only one even remotely close to me (about 25 miles away).
I had forgotten what a sensory delight it was to walk into a storefront. I enjoyed it so much that I've made a promise to myself that I'll go at least twice a year. I am happy to help support the guys on the internet, but I want to help the Tinderbox also. The only thing that would have made the visit even better would have been a couple of leather chairs to sit and smoke in. Alas, this is Washington, so that won't be happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.