PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclefester13

Lurker
Aug 9, 2013
Has anyone used this dye to color a pipe? I just acquired six briar bowls in poor condition and five stems. I think the stems are original but they are loose fitting. The shame is that these were expensive pipes I believe, and they sanded off and down the logos, but I was able to figure out that one was a Savinelli Autograph, a Radice, 2 Preben Holm's and maybe a third is a Ben Wade PH, also I suspect the one without a stem is another Savinelli but it's totally devoid of logos and markings. They are in rough condition and I was wondering if I should do any more touch up sanding in spots. I ordered some leather dyes to experiment with and was wondering if anyone had any knowledge about how to use it and polish the pipe in the end. I watched Kraigseder (He's so cool!) on you tube and he does some great work although he says he is a novice, but I think he's a Marine . . . and you'd expect that, nothing less, lol. It also looks like one of the Preben Holm pipes have been repaired at the stem, but you probably could not tell when it was dyed so dark as it's a rusticated freehand. I would load photos but I don't know how . . . not a computer geek, lol. Any advice would be appreciated.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Heya Fester. I use Fiebing's dyes to re-stain my pipes. Make sure you get the alcohol based dyes. I tend to cut the dye at least 50/50 w isopropyl alcohol to take the intensity down. I think you'll find these dyes very rich in colour.
-- Pat

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Me too. I cut it 50:50 with alcohol. Sand down thoroughly, buff then apply. Let dry between coats. Often I'll just use one coat only. Then re-sand and buff again with carnuba. Sometimes I'll apply heat as stain is drying so it penetrates deeper. Just hold pipe over gas stove, turning it gently, till its too hot to hold. Some flame it but that's too harsh for me.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
I dilute it even further. 3/1 or even 4/1 depending on the colour I would like. I prefer 2-3 thin coats. It also dries more quickly this way. I normally apply 2 coats (this is really in one go as it dries so quickly - just go over the pipe again straight away) then buff to see the result and if necessary apply another coat. I use 99% alcohol, so this probably makes it evaporate more quickly too.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Almost all of the makers use it, or at least they say they do ;) I do the 50/50 91% method and has worked great. Yep CVS cheap and great for pipe cleaning. Seen it in other stores and way more expensive.
Craig

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Easy way to cut it the amount of dye- take a Qtip- dip it in stain. Touch it to a cotton cloth to make a spot the size of a dime, and use the cotton cloth to lightly wipe the briar...Lets you slowly build up the color.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I also use 99% Iso... to Alan's point, this really aids in evaporation. I also occasionally torch the stain to aid in fixing it.
-- Pat

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I learn so many cool things each and every day at this joint.
Thank you for starting this post, Fester, and thanks to everybody else for weighing in.
Fnord

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm with Kashmir, Fieblings leather dye cut with 91% isopropyl alcohol. You can always make it darker later (actually making it lighter isn't real difficult either). I set my stain with flame. You can read a lot more about retaining pipes here:
http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/about/

Status
Not open for further replies.