Status
Not open for further replies.

dotdotdot

Lurker
Nov 29, 2013
Hi guys.

Just smoked my first full bowl.

Few stupid questions.
Is there a way to tell if your bowl is lit correctly? I noticed most of the times I couldn't see embers when I puffed but I still got smoke. Is that normal or no?

I noticed I had some pretty bad tongue bite when first starting.
Also, I only plan on smoking every now and again and always outside.

Is there a way to avoid having all my clothes smell like smoke or a way to air them out?

Any tips would help!
Thanks guys

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
dotdot, you often get some embers when you first light, but they soon disappear below the ash on the top.

Smoke slower to reduce tongue bite. Usually, if you smoke outside your clothes won't smell, though your

breath might. Maybe you should prepare to share your new habit with your spouse or parent who might

smell the tobacco. Peoples' sense of smell varies incredibly, like everything else about people. Some people

couldn't smell an oil refinery fire next door, and others could smell a pouch of tobacco in a bank vault

from across town. Welcome aboard. Read the good articles about pipe packing and pipe technique on the

home page. Huge amount of information. You never stop learning.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
+++ what mso said. Welcome aboard. Your among friends here. Pipe smoking is what it is. You'll reek of fine tobacco. Your non smoking friends will shun you. Eventually your only refuge will be among fellow pipe smokers, here on this forum. So pack a bowl, draw up a chair, and accept your fate.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
You'll reek of fine tobacco.
Wait a second here... I don't reek of tobacco... YOU guys do.
No really...
Aw crud.
Welcome aboard, dotdotdot, we're really harmless once you get to know us.
-- Pat

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Best way to keep your clothes from smelling of smoke is to not wear any while smoking :D Welcome to the forum!

+1 shutterbug, lol. But personally, I've gotten positive feedback on my aromas, but it depends on what you smoke.
On the beginner's bite. That is common. Just keep slowing down, savoring. The slower you draw the more taste you'll get from the tobacco. My benchmark on going too fast is when I'm puffing without tasting, usually caused by my mind getting occupied by something besides the act of smoking. I now tend to keep my pipe on the verge of always going out, trying to make that bowl last as looooooong as possible. The slower you go, the more you'll benefit from all aspects of the hobby. You'll taste and savor more of the tobacco, no tongue bite, you'll relax into the pipe better, and you'll absorb more of the vitamin N, giving you that whole body/mind relaxation that has brought us to the hobby to begin with. There is a reason that most pipe shows and tobacconists will hold slow smoking contests.
Also, move your pipe around your mouth occasionally, switching sides, to prevent burning out your palate in one specific spot on your tongue.
Welcome to the hobby and the forum!!!

dotdotdot

Lurker
Nov 29, 2013
Ya I think I may have definitely been smoking to fast.

I wasn't seeing embers so I was puffing a lot and I don't think I realized how fast it was going.

I have a pretty good headache now! not sure if that could be related or not. haha.
thanks again guys. a lot to learn!

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
You'll get it. Trial and error wins the race, and plenty of both. Dry and air your tobacco out a little before you pack your pipe, and smoke slowly-- that is have the smoke move very slowly into your mouth from the pipe stem. It's not how seldom you puff that sets the pace, but how slowly the smoke moves. When there's ash on top of the embers you won't see them, even in the dark, so don't let that be a thing for you.
As far as smelling like smoke goes-- well, that's why smoking jackets and fezzes were so popular a hundred or so years ago. You wore a coat and hat to smoke in and then took them off when you rejoined "polite" society.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Step in some dog shit while you are outside, they"ll never notice the tobbaco odor. Biotene will be your best friend, toothpaste and mouthwash. Ozium as per Harris aka Cigmaster is top shelf spray to reduce or nullify tobbaco odors. Slow down on your puffing, try clenching and sync breathing with puffing as per Kasmiar, great fellows here.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
dotdotdot:
Welcome!
Tongue bite can be caused by smoking too quickly, smoking in windy conditions, packing your bowl too tightly (which forces you to draw harder to keep it lit), and, frankly, smoking lower-quality tobacco that includes additives/flavorings which result in hot smokes.
I didn't notice that you ever stated what tobacco you're smoking. But, in general, drugstore aromatic blends -- especially those sold in large, bulk bags -- and many of those blends sold in fold-over pouches tend toward heat/bite. If you're leaning toward aromatics, at this stage it would be best if you avoided anything cherry or vanilla flavored; cheaper blends with those flavorings tend to be the most brutal on the tongue.
Also, I think it's worth noting that some folks simply don't handle certain tobaccos well. I can't smoke anything with perique in it; I get a reaction in my mouth like eating needles. Others can't smoke red Virginias for a similar reason. And of course some of us are more sensitive to nicotine than others. So if you feel like you're getting a handle on all of the other variables, but you're still not finding that you're able to achieve an enjoyable smoke, it may be worth trying some different types of tobaccos/blends.
Bob

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Welcome to the forums. All good comments here from everyone.
Also the only stupid question is the one left unasked so ask away.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I actually purchased a jacket specifically for smoking outdoors, and I just toss it in the wash if the odor becomes noticeable. Normally it keeps the smell off of my shirt, unless it's a warm day and I forget to zip up.
OTOH, I wear a full beard and mustache - ain't nothin' keeping the smoke off of those. I usually brush my teeth, wash my face, and rinse/gargle with Biotene after smoking - and if I've been using my nose at all, I'll even use a Neti pot to rinse out my sinuses. I love the aroma of pipe smoke (even Latakia), but once it goes stale, Yech...

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
+1 on everything said so far with this addendum: The key is to smoke slowly, sipping in a gentle, leisurely fashion. my benchmark is this: if you'r pipe is too hot in your hand, that's a sign that you're smoking too fast. When you sip slowly your pipe should be pleasantly warm to the touch. here is the key: your pipe should be slightly warm to the touch, so that if you were to lay it against a baby's skin, the baby would smile at the pleasant warmth. Any hotter than that, and you need to slow down. Also, if you've just started smoking, that might be because your pipe is not yet broken in, and a proper cake has not been built up. Once your cake is there, that will help. Good luck, and enjoy.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
@ravkesef
I'm imagining new pipe smokers burning baby's cheeks with their ridiculously hot pipes. And the chaos that ensues after the parents get there hands on the newbie.

Thanks for the image. :rofl:
Tongue burn will come from smoking too fast, you'll learn to curb that after burning your tongue once or twice. Smoke slow, wind is your enemy.
Tongue bite is the needles in your mouth feeling that rmbittner was describing. Just a chemical reaction between you and some specific leaf or process that you'll have to deal with. In time you'll know what to stay away from, and even then despite all your knowledge you will still buy a tin with something that you know bites you, just to try it. :)
A jacket will definitely help with any lingering smell. Cig smoke is very cloying, pipe smoke is less so but will still stick. And even though it smells 1000 times better than cig smoke, a jacket will cure this problem. And maybe a spritz of cologne after your smoke.
Oh! And wash your hands with some nice smelling soap after a smoke too. My hands always smell like whatever blend I was puffin on. I personally love it, but when mingling with commoners I will smell nice for them out of courtesy.
Welcome to the family. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.