PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
No, not the kind with whips and chains and other stuff that your very normal-looking neighbors do and won't tell you about unless you join in. Fetishism is where people become fascinated by the means of an activity, instead of the activity itself.
In music it was guys who bought dozens of guitars but rarely played, record collectors who hoarded rare editions without regard to quality of the music, and people who made a point of attending every show but never seemed to pay much attention.
Is there a similar behavior for pipe smokers?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Absolutely not! There is not one person on this site who in any way shape or form fits that description. :lol:

May 31, 2012
I once got lost in a very strange world by using the keyword "smoking fetish".

:P

Yes,

I was turned on,

but it was all rather eldritch.

matches

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2015
Dunedin, NZ
I suppose the equivalent is hoarding tobacco and buying expensive pipes but smoking very little. I imagine that's a reality for some.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So art collectors are fetishists?
Taking your definition, one with which I don't agree, non-smoking collectors of pipes would fall into that category. There are a number of collectors who buy the most highly regarded

Carvers, such as Nordh, and display them, tastefully lit behind glass, but never smoked.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
A fetish is excessive or irrational devotion to some activity, but I dont think you will find that here

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting definition of fetishism. I think it's correct but I had not seen that spin on it, activity related in that way. I guess there is some fetishism in most collecting and accumulating of things, so maybe in pipes too. If pipes don't diminish your work, human relationships, and financial life, it's likely not problematical. But yes, I have wondered about having four times (my estimation) the number of pipes I "need." But I enjoy them, and I don't think they are corroding my life. So far so good. I received another really nice (Sav Hercules Oom Paul) for Christmas from my wife, and some choice leaf. Just shared some aromatics that I wasn't smoking with homeless vets, so this makes me feel like I don't have a fetish problem, mostly.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'll definitely admit to this. I spend far more time researching the pipe world, viewing pictures, reading reviews, etc. than I spend actually smoking a pipe. That's how I get with all hobbies initially though, until I eventually plateau in my interestand get more reasonable. Guilty as charged.

May 31, 2012
I attempt to sublimate my own commodity fetishist tendencies in order to discover an interior history of a seminal essence within, asking myself why my essential capacity is corrupted so thoroughly by outside influence, a vulgar base materiality, and in such deconstruction the narrative trajectory of my very own narrow realms expose a faltering of my existential potential, as it were, being unduly hornswaggled by an escapist entertainment, no doubt attempting to circumvent a low self-worth, afraid to shatter the symbol, and drawn to the emblem like a doomed moth to flickering flame.
Greasy wings.
I open The Book of Necromancy and try to bring dead things to life.
An intertextual Thessalonian sorcerer once told me about the auspicious constellation of planets and whispered in my ear something about the Key of Salomonis -- he was a little drunk, but we're supposed to meet up later and hopefully he'll be sober, and finally show me how to animate the inanimated!
:P

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I thought 'fetishists' were followers of the Italian dictator Benito Mussolini and wore black shirts and went around doing stiff left arm salutes and hanging out on balconies wildly waving your hands around while shouting and sticking your chin out.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Condorlover1, Mussolini.....LMAO!! I do believe your on to something!! :clap:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I attempt to sublimate my own commodity fetishist tendencies in order to discover an interior history of a seminal essence
Always a worthy quest, often -- for most -- distracted by concepts which seem more tangible, even if not material.

Status
Not open for further replies.