PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Just opened a sealed tin of Ferndown Red & Orange from an ebay score about a month ago. The seller claimed it was 10+ years old, and the tin looks about right for that. No rust outside but pretty rusted under the paper liner inside. The liner is still completely intact. Tobacco is in nice shape with a fluffy texture after loosening it, and not dried out at all. The blend is 'Red Virginia and Oriental with some Orange Carolina'. I don't know what orange carolina is. I'll be back after smoking a bowl, cheers.
tinner :puffy:

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I still have a tin of it. I always like the Ferndown tobaccos. They weren't really earth shakingly different, just solid good quality tobacco.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Well I think the Ferndown tin smokes and tastes fine. Very mellow. I'm going to put it in a small jar and try another bowl tomorrow morning.
tinner

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Sounds like a great tobacco!
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe "orange Carolina" would be a Virginia tobacco grown in the Carolinas. The orange leaves are higher up on the plant than the reds, meaning more sugary sweetness and less nicotine. "Brights" would be the next step up, toward the top of the plant, and often have a taste that people describe as "citrusy."

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I have always wanted to try the different color combinations from Ferndown but arrived at that goal to late in life i'm afraid. :) I always check the auction site but it usually gets too spendy for me. That is a good score!!

Status
Not open for further replies.