PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I've been wanting to add a Ferndown to my collection for some time now and my favourite shape is a robustly proportioned lovat. An unsmoked estate has turned up on smoking pipes.com. The only problem is our Canadian Dollar has tanked recently. The $275 asking price would cost me $374.36 CAD with shipping. If someone would go ahead and buy this pipe and remove the temptation from me that would be great!
004-002-9891.jpg

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
That is a lovely pipe. Add on the potential for customs to ding you GST/PST or HST on top of that and it gets even more expensive. I feel your pain on the loonie, I'm at the stage where I want to stock up on some tobacco for winter and it's gotten a lot more expensive recently.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Pardon my ignorance, dear neighbors to the North, but what is going on that is devaluing your dollar? I have seen a lot of mention of it here on the forum, but (not surprisingly) I haven't noticed any mention of it from any of our news outlets down here. ???

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
The sudden drop in oil prices took our dollar from near parity to the US dollar to around 75 cents very quickly. Ordering from the U.S. just got about 25% more expensive.

P

pipebuddy

I would love to remove this burden from you but, as I'm also Canadian.......................

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
That is a beauty! Hopefully somebody 'helps you out.' :wink: I feel your pain drezz. Plus work has been slowing down. I've been in need of a pipe to dedicate to VA blends for a month but haven't pulled the trigger. I almost ordered a pretty spendy Sav but resisted, and I'm glad I did; the cob I have is filling in quite well.
My TAD purchases have gone down to one a month which is no good because I've fallen head over heels for a certain dark VA flake and I NEED MORE!
OK, it's not as dire as I'm making it sound. Baccy is still much cheaper online, and the ol' b&m has a rack of MM Legends for $10.
I imagine that the dollar won't recover much anytime soon. :cry:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I've pretty much stopped online shopping altogether because of the the low dollar, unless there's something that's such a good deal you can't pass it up, like an ebay auction that's flown under the radar and you can get in at the last minute with the only bid, otherwise it's just not worth it. I'm hoping with a new president the keystone XL pipeline gets built and that should get the dollar up again. But right now, I'm just glad I took advantage while the dollars were close to par.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Pipes2Smoke is probably the best place for a deal on a Ferndown, but even his prices have jumped up recently.

http://www.pipes2smoke.com/Ferndown/LW_25.htm
With the low value of the dollar, a European dealer may be the way to go.

http://www.bollitopipe.it/pipes-wood-ferndown-c-10_551.htm
This Canadian is $220 and I believe shipping is free. You will get Customs bill later for around $25. Still well under US vendors.
http://www.bollitopipe.it/wood-ferndown-bark-with-silver-band-p-13646.html

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think anyone in the U.S. with any brains is happy to see the Canadian currency devalued, for what it does to U.S. exports for example. But since here we are, is there any discount on Canadian made (not Canadian shape) pipes for U.S. buyers now? I mean once the customs have been settled? I doubt Canadian pipe makers would resent the sales.

briarhillgeoff

Might Stick Around
Nov 8, 2014
It does suck our dollar is down almost 25 cents from where we were a year ago. Can't see if going up anytime soon, unless the US economy starts declining.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Pipes2Smoke is probably the best place for a deal on a Ferndown, but even his prices have jumped up recently.

Maxim's prices are in USD as well, even though he is located within Canada. I messaged him about it and he said it is because ~85% of his business is to the states and the majority of the rest is to Asia. There's been a recent influx of Canadian pipe smokers to this forum it would seem but we are still a very small market -- or maybe just a very cheap one :lol:
My TAD purchases have gone down to one a month which is no good because I've fallen head over heels for a certain dark VA flake and I NEED MORE!
Ugh this is true. I've been trying to build my cellar 200g at a time but I've been decreasing the rate of my purchases because of the poor exchange rate. At the same time, however, I'm concerned about increasing regulation and the affect it might have on our ability to secure the blends we want, whether it be locally or from the states.
But since here we are, is there any discount on Canadian made (not Canadian shape) pipes for U.S. buyers now?

That's a good question. It may be the best time ever to commission a Michael Parks pipe if he bills in CAD. You would basically be getting 25% off.
Other Canadian pipe makers however, I'm not sure how many there are. I'm not sure if Gio is still making pipes as I haven't seen many of his appear on the market and his youtube channel went dark. A shame as he did good and interesting work from what I can tell.
I'm not sure if the decline in the CAD will affect the price of Brigham's down in the states since they are distributed by Sutliff down there.
With the low value of the dollar, a European dealer may be the way to go.

And to tie it all back together, I got my Ferndown Lovat!! A kindly troutface tipped me off to a website dealing in pounds sterling. ~$230 CAD shipped with insurance! There will be a small customs bill on top of it I'm sure but still wayyyyyyyyy cheaper than the $375 it would have originally cost me.
Some how my brain decided that instead of costing me $230, I was actually saving myself $145 and that I basically couldn't afford not to get it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Where there's a will, there's a way, as the old saying goes. That's a smashing pipe. Congratulations.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
Some how my brain decided that instead of costing me $230, I was actually saving myself $145 and that I basically couldn't afford not to get it.
My wife uses the same kind of logic on me all the time :rofl:

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I also have to admit that I was a little swayed by the thought of one side of my 6-pipe rack playing host to my Castello Sea Rock Canadian, Alden Blasted Lovat, and now this Ferndown. It's going to be a handsome set of long pipes.
Man am I ever good at convincing myself -- I think I may have a problem....

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
Great news drezz. Glad you managed to find what you were after.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Nice drezz01, we have the same sense of logic/reasoning when it comes to PAD/TAD. Be sure to post up a pic when she arrives. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.