PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I posted this in the pipes forum as a test but thought I'd share it officially on here. I christened it today with a half bowl of ODF. I'm planning to break it in slow and easy.

It's a Les Wood Ferndown 2 star squat Bulldog with a nicely done silver band. It's the most pricey of my pipes and I hope this isn't the beginning of some sick trend!

Reactions: redz

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
I think you did well! Congrats on a beautiful pipe. I have a ferndown bark Canadian and it smokes great. Hope you get the same results!
And yes it is most likely a start to a sick trend. :D

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I can report that the inaugural bowl smoked deliciously well, cool and easy with the draw being about as perfect as I can expect. I didn't realize it until I was stirring nothing but ash but I only relit once after a couple charring lights and a true light. I only packed a half bowl and kept it on the loose side. The taste of the briar was pretty amazing and very present towards the finish. I did not expect this shape to be one that would hang but I slipped a rubber softy on and it was surprisingly comfortable to clench as I was tagging cigars in the shop today.
To those of you who break in a lot of new pipes, is it wise for me to keep it at half bowl for a few smokes? How much rest between sessions on break in?
I ask only because most new pipes I buy are in the $50-$100 range and I usually just fill and smoke. I don't overheat them and have never had an issue. This pipe is a treasured possession and I want to do right by it.

Reactions: redz

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Thanks Cosmic, with the conical drilling I'd like for once to build a cake from the heel up. For what it is the pipe has ample bowl capacity and I can tough it out smoking half bowls for a while, lol.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A very nice choice! A love the Squat bulldog from Ferndown and the two Star size in my book is perfect. Les does some very good stem work. Ferndown drafts are a little tight and mine also like a loose pack. When packed correctly, they smoke quite well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Very sophisticated shaping on that stem; it plays off the textured flattened bowl nicely.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Beautiful pipe. I have a Ferndown but not quite that nice.
As for breaking in, take your time, is my only piece of advice. I've broken in pipes in about every fashion you can think of, but I believe you are going about it the right way with that beauty.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
How is the pipe doing now after a month? And have you fought off the urge for another quality pipe?

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Very jealous! I wish I could get my hands on a high end pipe like that beauty. Happy smokes!!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I don't do wood but I have to say that is a wonderful pipe. Just the right proportions with a super sculptured bit by the looks of it. Enjoy every bowl full chum. I have not broken in a pipe in years since by the time they arrive with me they are over 100 years old. That being said we did have the exploding crap meerschaum moment earlier on this year. Someone once told me that you smear honey in a new pipe when you break it in although my Father used to put damn blotting paper in the bottom of the bowls of his new pipes. I put a small silver button in the bottom of the bowls of my meerschaums. Thats how I achieve that very interesting dark brown coloring without resorting to bee's wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.