PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
My 2 brothers and I all use firewood that we cut and split ourselves. We share a large wood splitter. Today we took down the biggest standing tree (a dead white oak) that we've ever done. It died just about one year ago and is 32" in diameter 3' above grade. I went to a website that figures the weight of logs, and the bottom 10' of the log is 3100 lbs, and that is figuring inside the bark diameter (it's still very wet wood). 8O

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
That will certainly produce a lot of heat, but cutting / splitting and later while burning.
My family heated the house with the fireplace back in the 70s. Dad found a great way to get his sons to burn a lot of energy.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
That's why God invented the chainsaw! I don't want to know the weight until I'm done with it, all neatly stacked in the wood shed. If I know before hand how much I'm going to have to move I get depressed.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Hey Winton - I was a kid in the 70's as well. From 6th grade until I graduated high school and left for college we never turned on the furnace. My father, younger brother and I felled the trees, cut them into logs, split the logs (with a sledge and a wedge or a maul and a wedge), stacked the logs, and then all winter long carried them from their stacks to the deck and then into the house to burn.
Man I love my high efficiency gas furnace(s)......
:)

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
My Mom's dad (my grampa) cut wood his whole life for his income and had saw mills to cut lumber and heated their house with wood. I still remember how he and his cloths smelled like fresh cut wood all the time. He had me out "helping" as soon as I could. That's the reason I still like to cut wood I think. :)

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
That's why God invented the chainsaw!
No, that's why God created the pellet stove! Can't do the cut, split, etc anymore due to health conditions...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Felling trees is an art. If you know what you're doing. Otherwise, very dangerous. I love to watch the

pros do their job. Had a big tulip poplar right beside the house cut down. Those guys could drop a limb

just where they wanted using ropes and gear. It's fascinating.
I forget the order, but the most dangerous domestic jobs are fishing, farming, fire fighting, and lumberjacking.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I learned tree felling from an hold, healthy lumberjack. Healthy being the keyword, all the fingers and toes, no scars. A grand old gentleman who taught me how to use cables, pulleys and saws. I can judge the fall, correct it if necessary, maintain and repair the saws. He was a font of information and I miss him.
The best thing he imparted was to leave the high work to the pros.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I have a degree in forestry so part of my schooling was in cutting/felling trees. We would place soda cans 32-48 feet from the base and try to crush them with the tree. Lots of fun

willc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
As a kid me a my dad would go out many early weekend morning cutting firewood for our stove.

Our home was wood stove heated until I was 15.
We only cut felled trees on permit land so I have limited experience with dropping them but I can tell that you need to know what you are doing to drop the big boys safely.

I am sure it is fun though.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
There is a great deal of satisfaction that at my age I can still do it. Takes longer though and I take smaller "bites." Still, outside, solving mental problems, driving the saw, working up a sweat. What's not to like?
The payoff is sitting in front of the fire, dog resting his head on my knee, pipe in hand, a bit of port, while watching the snow fall outside the window. Good times! Good times indeed!

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Warren I like how you think. Life is good! I know there was a recent post that had different brands of favorite ports. What's your? Stan

Status
Not open for further replies.