PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gentlesmoke

Lurker
Jun 22, 2016
I feel out of my depth on my return to pipe smoking ! I have acquired my tobacco - St Bruno, and I already have a pipe ! On my second bowl I really enjoyed the soothing effects of St Bruno.
I would love to hear from you in regards to a kind of start up: reasonably priced pipes as well as your favorite tobaccos or herbal blends(I alreadu had a herbal blend which includes chamolile and liqourish because I drink herbal teas !).
I would like to gradually build my selection of pipes & smoking blends.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I commend you on your taste in tobaccos. I really like St. Bruno. I gather that you have previous experience with pipes and tobaccos so it's a little difficult to respond to your query without knowing a little more about your prior experience and your budget constraints.
There are a number of moderately priced pipes available. There are cobs, Peterson, Savinelli, and Stanwell, for a start.
There are over 6000 blends on the market. With regard to tobacco, have you established any likes or dislikes?

gentlesmoke

Lurker
Jun 22, 2016
My memory of being s pipe smoker is somewhat blurred, but I know the tobacco I smoked was St Bruno, so on my return to the pipe smoking scene I chose St Bruno again. I have a moderately priced pipe, £10, but I'd like an upgrade before the year is finished. I do like to experiment with herbal blends and the one I have chosen is a beauty ! The herbal blend consists of raspberry leaf-chamomile flower-liquorice root-hops-passion flower and sage. Its a gentle smoke which leaves a pleasant aroma. It can also be used as a tea and can be added to your bath for a relaxing soak !
The many different pipes on offer is amazing, as are the price ranges ! I need to be patient and choose one which will be my number one pipe. On Ebay I saw a great pipe which was specially crafted by hand and a must for Dr Who fans - it was a dalek shaped pipe.
Having forums such as this is a great help, and I look forward to my time here.
Finally, Sablebrush52, thank you your comment.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
GS-
Where are you located? Is there a Pipe shop within reasonable reach?
I'd be inclined to snag a couple of low priced estate pipes, ideally with the help of someone who looks out for your interest and is knowledgeable .

Welcome to the forum and I hope you flourish!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You're welcome! And Welcome to the forum.
I wish I could be of more assistance, but my knowledge of savory herbal blends is pretty much nada. If you have no objection to plugs, Revor and Velvan are nice smokes. You could also look at the offerings from GQ tobacco. You can read reviews of them here:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/brand/778/gq-tobaccos
They're very highly though of. Particularly respected reviewers are JimInks and DK.
If you like floral, soapy blends, check out Lakeland blends. You might look at Gawith blends.
When it comes to pipes, everyone has a different take. But one thing I would recommend is getting a cob or two. The investment is minimal and you can try out blends in them at they're good smokers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I lived in UK, for domestically produced pipes which should be conveniently available, I'd look at Parker, Britannia, and Hardcastle. They're good pipes at moderate prices.

gentlesmoke

Lurker
Jun 22, 2016
For jpmcwjr: I am located in Liverpool,England. I have purchased some cheapish pipes via Ebay, but will get an upgrade when funds permit. I knew of a great tobacconist shop back in the 1980's and if they are still there I will pay a visit. They had a great range of pipes, cigars, cigarettes, lighters and a wide range of tobaccos', I visited there often and purchased some fine cigars and tobbacos' ! The staff were lovely. And thank you for your input, very much appreciated.
For Sablebrush52: Thank you again ! You have been very helpful and I shall certainly follow your suggestions.
For mso489: Thank you very much your input. I will certainly check your pipe suggestions out.

gentlesmoke

Lurker
Jun 22, 2016
To deathmetal - Yes I know ! I was drooling and got a telling off by my wife ;-) I have remote control models of K9, davros, Cyberman and a dalek. Also have the Dr Who Tardis, but that does nothing !
Can I assume your a death metal fan ! I am a metal fan, favorite band are Judas Priest, also like Pantera and Down.
Not a dalek in sight - but check out all the wonderful characters

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?item=172250929254&_ssn=miamiboatguy305&rt=nc

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
In England, check out GQ Tobaccos, he's a great guy and can help you out with tobacco and pipes. I'd recommend another early pipe be a Morgan Pipes Bones, they are very affordable and essentially raw briar, so they color with age. It's a high quality pipe at a great price that adds some personal feel to all of this.

gentlesmoke

Lurker
Jun 22, 2016
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction crashthegrey, have checked the site out and its excellent. It has been bookmarked.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Another great blender is Hans Wiedemann, whose company HU tobacco offers some of the finest blends available today. Since you like tobaccos with a herbal note, you should check out Indaba. Director's Cut is one of the most popular tobaccos made today. And Makuwa is like smoking milk chocolate. He offers a wide assortment of blends. Click here to visit his site.

gentlesmoke

Lurker
Jun 22, 2016
Sablebrush52:you have my taste buds salivating with those blends ! I have also bookmarked the site. :D

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I can see where you would be overwhelmed. If you can abide a lakeland, there is probably not a blend on earth you would find distasteful.

gentlesmoke

Lurker
Jun 22, 2016
My wife can't understand why I want more than one pipe ! I have bought five pipes(4 are still in the post)so far, and have seen plenty more pipes which I would like to acquire. I have told my long suffering darling that someone who collects stamps doesn't stop at one ! I also reminded her that she likes buying pyjamas, and she has more than one pair ! My wife is my angel, even though she cannot see why I need more than one pipe.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I have remote control models of K9, davros, Cyberman and a dalek. Also have the Dr Who Tardis, but that does nothing !
Can I assume your a death metal fan ! I am a metal fan, favorite band are Judas Priest, also like Pantera and Down.
Holy mackerel! (and keep in mind I think mackerel are quite tasty)
I really enjoy the classic Dr. Who as well.
Judas Priest, eh? You'll go far :)

gentlesmoke

Lurker
Jun 22, 2016
:D when responding to a post how can I quote the relevant post ? I can't find the 'quote' to click !
Well its approaching 4am and I am looking forward to sleep......I am currently listening to some stoner rock - Demonauta, nice and heavy.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
:D when responding to a post how can I quote the relevant post ? I can't find the 'quote' to click !
What I do is select the portion I'm going to quote and paste it into the reply window. Then I select it again and click on the "quote" button in the menu above the reply window. That puts the BBC code on either side.

Following that, I type my response and hit send post.

westhampipe

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
For pipes I would recommend Invicta briar and blakemar briars.
Both local guys and very good quality. Pete at invicta has a starting price of 50 quid for for some very very nice smoking pipes. Blakemar is up north, can't quite remember the location. 30 quid and upwards for also very good smoking pipes. You can even get a blakemar on ebay for 25 pounds including postage.
I'd highly recommend those two. I even got Pete to sort me out a naked/unfinished pipe last week.
URL=http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/Alethea_Binfor/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_3191_zpsr0zyg7v6.jpg.html]
IMG_3191_zpsr0zyg7v6.jpg
[/URL]

Status
Not open for further replies.