PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Here in Birmingham we've been in the nasty southern summer weather holding pattern of "feels like" triple digit days and early evening thunderstorms. For whatever reason the smell of the rain and the heat made me feel Latakish. I just opened a tin and smoked my first ever bowl of 2003 Ravens Wing, a "dark, full Latakia mixture" and it's the most Latakia forward tobacco I've ever smoked. It is to tobacco what espresso is to coffee. It's seriously bold, stout stuff. It honestly tastes exactly one would suspect such a mixture would and the years in the tin have certainly done it's due diligence. The only thing even remotely unsuspected was the burn. I hit it with a match once and it burned as perfectly as I've seen a tobacco burn leaving perfectly fine ash. Anytime I smoke anything with the Syrian Latakia I can't help but be a little sad knowing that I've just reduced the global quantity of an irreplaceable tobacco... But not sad enough to stop smoking it happily. I've got three tins to go through and I'll do so very happily.

cajunplume

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
you aint kidding about the heat! Its hotter than a witches titty in heat over in south Louisiana! I don't bother going outside until around 9:00pm to smoke a bowl. Its the only time its enjoyable. 8O

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
It is dang hot in Dixie about now. That's for sure. I hate, HATE smoking when I'm hot so I really feel for y'all that must smoke outside. (Though I feel bad for the folks that have to bundle up and smoke outside in winter as well.)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It's great that you have a reasonable supply of the Syrian. :clap:

Special occasion stuff from here on out, though, I reckon.

A lot of guys reserve the Latakia blends for winter, and go with Virginias in the heat; but if you have the itch, you gotta scratch it. :lol:

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Never had the opportunity to try Raven's Wing, but then again there are a plethora of tobaccos I've never experienced. Many consider Latakia blends to be a fall and winter smoke, but I'm not among them as I smoke whatever I'm in the mood for no matter what the time of year. As for the summer here in Chicago we've experienced just the opposite as it didn't seem to arrive in it's proper and usual manner up until about a week or so ago. It's coming to the end of July and I've only had the air conditioner on about three times so far. Up until recently this had to be the lousiest and coldest summer I can remember. Hell, I even had to turn on the heat during two nights in July, but that's mostly because of concern for my seventeen year old African Grey parrot Brandy. Hey, if anything it kept the outrageous electric bill charges down considering that Chicago now has the honorable distinction of having highest taxes in the nation.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Our PA weather has been the same as you describe. Weird for us. Glad the tin and tobacco turned out to be great. I too am a latakia fan and anytime is right for me.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Sounds like a great smoke Nate!
It hasn't been as hot and humid here in southwestern Ontario as it usually is this time of year and when it is the evenings have still cooled down nicely to make it bearable. I tend to lay off the Lat blends a bit in the hot weather and smoke more Va and VaPer blends when it's hot outside. I did however enjoy a nice wee bowl of Quiet Nights while sitting in the shade earlier this afternoon. :puffy:

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm both happy and sad that I'm not alone in the summer heat. This time of year I PROFOUNDLY miss my time at school in Montana. I can dress for cold weather, but sleeping in a pool of your own sweat, well it's just undignified and not at all restful nor helpful. If God forbid I were to outlive my family here in Bama, I'd mourn their loss for certain, at which point I'd pack my car and drive away from Bama forever with utmost haste.
I took a photo trying to capture the beauty of the Ravens Wing ash. I failed, but instead took this photo thinking the glowing single ember looked kinda cool against the grey.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
One of our fellow members was gracious enough to gift me a sample of aged Raven's Wing. It was fantastic I try to keep an eye out for a tin but keeping missing them. Hope the heat breaks for you soon.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
You know how people who drink in the morning say "well, it's noon somewhere"? That's how I feel about Latakia. It's 91ºF here, but "hey, it's cold somewhere."

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I've always enjoyed Latakia blends in the summer. Doesn't taste any different to me whether it be summer or winter. Of course most of my smoking is inside where my wife keeps it so cold it feels like winter. I've been known to wear a jacket inside the house in summer to give you an idea of how cold it gets inside.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Can't do it. Something about the latakia and the heat just gets me. If it's 80 or above our smoky friend stays in the tin. Really since June my smoking has consisted of Deception Pass and McClelland 24.

Status
Not open for further replies.