PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I got tired of watching pipe auctions for mediocre or worse stock close in the $60 dollar range over this past week. (Who is buying all of that crud at those prices?) So I went to the local antique store and found a few interesting things.
In the front is a GBD "International" London Made. A letter "F" is stamped on the bottom of the shank. On the other side of the shank is "London England" over a number "1". I'll have to do some research on that.
The other two pipes are old Linkman's. The bulldog is stamped "Linkman's" over a cursive "Dr Grabow" and "Select Grain" under that. It also has "Pre-Smoked" and a couple patent numbers under that. I believe this be the oldest Dr Grabow pipe I own.
The pipe in the back is a Linkman's Hollycourt 8814.
All three pipes were ten bucks each and in an unrestored state.They should clean up really well and keep me occupied for a few days. :puffy:
three%20pipes_zpstxve2xru.jpg

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
There seems to be a growing number of people who want to be pipe restorers. I don't see the demand dropping off any time soon (if ever). Developing other sources is probably a good strategy.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Nice score. That Linkman's bulldog is a very rare piece. Nice!!
Caution: You may be targeted by the jealous hoards (myself included) if you post that on DGCF.
Wanna sell it.... Lol

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I agree with the soaring prices for junk lately. I cannot believe the prices that people are paying right now for absolute trash. I just wish I had some of this junk to sell. ") It almost seems like buyers are paying more for the "barn finds" than for the ones that are being restored and sold. Craziness I tell ya.
On the other side, I am glad you found some winners locally!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
That bulldog is the cleanest one of the lot. There is no stem oxidation or any tooth marks. It's like it was sent here via time machine from the 1930s or 40s.
The Hollycourt is new looking as well but it has some pretty obvious fills. Still nice to have it my collection though. Probably from the same estate and time period. All I need to do is clean and sanitize.
Here's an ad for Dr Grabow and Hollycourt pipes from a 1942 Life Magazine.
Life%201942_zpsv6r1mpje.png

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
Ebay is filled with allot of junk, but I have found some real gems on their. That's a nice score I really like the bulldog

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I find the best deals on Ebay are listed as cheaper "BIN" ads by none pipe sellers. But, you have to grab them quickly. The phone app is the best way to separate cash from your wallet...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think you have to spend a lot of time on a regular basis, first learning ebay, then monitoring it. Then there's the distraction of the whole auction game that is a separate activity in itself. The antique store/flea market approach really yields some great finds, like those pipes of yours. I think it varies from region to region and between cities. I guess I'm in cigarette country. At the huge flea market at the state fairgrounds, there are few pipes. The antique outlet people get the deer-in-headlights look if you ask about them. So if you are lucky enough to have a source, cultivate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.