PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
During a recent visit to California, I attended a party at a professor's house with a Slovene friend, a heavy smoker. Late in the evening, my friend became desperate and politely asked the host if he could step out on the veranda for a smoke. When the host (no less politely) said no, my friend suggested that he step out on to the street, and even this was rejected by the host, who claimed such a public display of smoking might hurt his status with his neighbours … But what really surprised me was that, after dinner, the host offered us (not so) soft drugs, and this kind of smoking went on without any problem – as if drugs are not more dangerous than cigarettes.
http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2014/may/21/prix-pictet-photography-prize-consumption-slavoj-zizek
Kind of ridiculous.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
I would have walked out to the street, off his property, smoked in front of all the neighbors, and then left the party. You don't like my smoke, I'll blow.

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
That I feel is a bit rediculous! What kind of neighborhood does he live in? I bet his neighbors have smoking friends or smoke themselves.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Often colleges buy up blocks of homes to rent at low cost to professors, so he may have feared other faculty. Still: idiocy.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
My mind is blown way more than the drugs they were doing blew theirs. I can't even understand what mental gymnastics you have to do to even remotely think tobacco is more dangerous than smoking any kind of illicit drug. Being a tobacco user makes you feel like a communist in Hollywood in the 50's or an Indian on the high plains in the 1870's. I know it's a little hyperbolic on my part but not much.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
As I've mentioned in other posts, everybody and their brother is screaming to legalize weed, but they get offended when they see someone with a cigarette in thier mouth.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
I had a professor who continued to smoke in his office long after they banned it in the building. He had been there as long as anybody, and much longer than most. They waited him out til retirement. :puffy:

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Calling BS on the article. There are no references or concrete details at all and the whole piece reads like targeted rage fodder, which clearly worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.