PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Hey everyone just thought I would share the link from pipesandcigars.com in regards to the FDA and our lovely tobacco products. Hopefully our tobacco prices wont be drastically increased or even worse, possibly unavailable one day. Take a sec and check it out! Happy puffing everyone.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/page/fda-regulation-comments?slide=3

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
These people have nothing else better to do. They make pronouncements on something they know nothing about as a means of expanding 'Big Government' and by definition their departments/focus groups. We really need to turn the country back to how it was circa 1800 with government empowered to tax to support the military and coin sound money and all else becomes the preserve of the individual states. No doubt soon they will want to tax sex. I can see the Federal Sex Inspector peering through steamy car windows looking for un-taxed examples of coitus. You could see it now. Some horrible and probably sexually repressed Federal Tax employee after peering through the steamed up window saying ....."Ah. There is a man in their playing with himself. That's tax avoidance. Let audit him immediately!". Don't laugh it could happen.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I could go on, but the romantic view of the past is a bunch of happy horseshit.
This seems right to me. I don't like the prospect of paying more for pipe tobacco, but let's not chuck 214 years of progress down the drain because of it. I wouldn't want to live in a world where my neighbors count as 3/5ths of a person and my wife couldn't vote.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Remember this when you vote. But I bet you don't :)
I'll remember it, but it's pretty far down the list of things I'm concerned about in any election. I imagine most of us are the same.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I vote ... but it does me no good:
watch

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Hey gang! As a reminder, I ask that everyone keep to the very important topic at hand and not get side-tracked, thereby derailing this discussion into the realm of politics. This isn't the forum for it. If the thread goes toward political discussion it will be closed.
Back on topic... One thing that struck me as odd was that "pipe tobacco" was largely avoided. Granted, the "legalese" lost me every five words, but I feel like somehow pipe tobacco is being lumped in with cigarettes and such, where it should be closer to cigars. I also found it amusing that even though the Tobacco Act of 2009 is what gave the FDA authority over tobacco products, the cut-off date for non-granfathered new blends was Feb. 15, 2007.
Anyone who reads lawmaker-doubletalk care to try to explain?
-Jason

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Hey gang! As a reminder, I ask that everyone keep to the very important topic at hand and not get side-tracked, thereby derailing this discussion into the realm of politics. This isn't the forum for it. If the thread goes toward political discussion it will be closed.
Back on topic... One thing that struck me as odd was that "pipe tobacco" was largely avoided. Granted, the "legalese" lost me every five words, but I feel like somehow pipe tobacco is being lumped in with cigarettes and such, where it should be closer to cigars. I also found it amusing that even though the Tobacco Act of 2009 is what gave the FDA authority over tobacco products, the cut-off date for non-granfathered new blends was Feb. 15, 2007.
Anyone who reads lawmaker-doubletalk care to try to explain?
-Jason

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
This is a bunch of fear mongoring, tobacco will never be outlawed, if anything it will be increasingly taxed. Just make sure you vote Republican in the next election and everything will be all good. I want to see a Bush in the white house again.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I've been voting since 1973 and I've never had I presidential candidate I've voted for win. So you can't blame me for any of this mess! :nana:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks for the alert smeigs.
It's ironic that the FDA claims concern for the public good, and yet allows a myriad of chemicals that many developed countries have banned, some with severe penalties.
Example:
Nutritionist Mira Calton and her husband, Dr. Jayson Calton, studied more than 150 ingredients during a six-year, expedition around the world and put together a list of 13 ingredients banned in other countries that are still allowed in the U.S. Their book "Rich Food, Poor Food" was released in February.
Here's just two:
6. Azodicarbonamide -- American food processors use this chemical to instantly bleach flour for use in some frozen dinners, breads, boxed pasta mixes and packaged baked goods. In Singapore, you can be fined nearly a half million dollars and imprisoned for up to 15 years for using this chemical that's been linked to asthma. It's primarily used in foamed plastics, like yoga mats and sneaker soles, according to the Caltons.
5. BHA (Food Preservative) -- Found in everything from meat to cereal and gum, BHA is a waxy solid made from petroleum to prevent food from going bad. The U.S. National Institute of Health has labeled it a cancer-causing agent, although only California currently recognizes that report.
http://m.wptz.com/health/19577484

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Hey ae1pt on the subject of leeches don't you have to let 2 dissolves slowly under the tongue to gain any health benefit from them? In answer to Lord Nobles question the 2007 cut off or 'grandfather' clause simply asserts that this legislation applies to existing products which makes we wonder how e-cigarettes are covered by that piece of legislation.

Dec 24, 2012
There are many things I look for when I vote, but to be honest, the candidate's position on pipe tobacco isn't even on the list.
I am much more concerned about high income taxes and controlling government spending - I think these are bigger issues for the country and are also much bigger issues for me personally. We are in the midst of an election right now in Ontario and have a minority government that is trying to get elected with a majority by promising the so-called middle class that they will tax the "rich" even more. What they define as "rich" is completely laughable and would catch more than half of my employees. The government has defended their position by saying that "they tested the tax the rich policy with focus groups and the response was overwhelmingly positive." It's a little like us getting together and deciding which of Harris or Kevin are going to pay for our pipe smoking over the next year - of course we would respond positively to that since we would be spending their money not our own. The bottom feeders in this province want the government to do everything for them but they don't want to pay the bill for that themselves - they want "the rich" to pay it.
I am starting to rant now and need to catch my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.