PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

surenot

Lurker
Jul 5, 2017
In my catalog for pipes and cigars it said that Dunhill recently announced that they are exiting the tobacco business. A recent search online and a statement said they will still be around for another 12-18 months.
The hyper confusing FDA rules are making anything on the market after a date in 2007 financially impossible to keep producing.
Are these facts correct? If so, this means the only blends I LOVE will be going away soon.
Will it still be legal for business to sell reproductions like Pipes and Cigars "matches"?
I don't want to live in a world without Frog Morton's Cellar. lol

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Are these facts correct? If so, this means the only blends I LOVE will be going away soon.
Will it still be legal for business to sell reproductions like Pipes and Cigars "matches"?
I don't want to live in a world without Frog Morton's Cellar. lol
Basically those are the facts. Matches that were introduced after Feb 15th 2007 will be gone on August 8th 2018, unless the Deeming Rules change, which requires an act of Congress.

Some Frogs are safe. Others are not.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
We at Standard Tobacco have been watching this situation quite closely. Its a tough one to call since if they change the deeming regulation dates to post 2007 then all our blends like War Horse, Bengal Slices, John Cotton's etc survive. If they don't then we will simply go out of business on some date in August next year. We are still planning an IPO of SToP but we need clarity on the direction of the FDA in relation to pipe tobacco before we offer the public shares in the company and seek a listing. From what I see at the moment the Vape guys are totally root vegetabled and big tobacco is getting a monopoly of that business probably as some kind of pay off from Barry Banana's old administration that predated the Donald. There have been some very hopeful comments regarding cigars but where that leaves us pipe minions is still very unclear.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I think the only hope is that pipes and pipe tobacco are such a small (insignificant) chunk of the tobacco/vape scene that they are all but forgotten and the "rules" will apply to them but there will be little or no enforcement. There's all kinds of rules in Canada about banana-flavored cigars for example - they were legislated out of existence because let's face it, it's an attempt by the tobacco companies to get shall we say, a slightly younger crowd involved. So technically, under the law, Ashton's Guilty Pleasure is under some technicality an illegal tobacco product (being fruity flavored), but it's still widely available. Questions of "what about pipe tobacco?" are mostly answered with "There's still pipe tobacco?"
So we've learned just to stay quiet about certain stuff. But the future is grim - legal marijuana, illegal tobacco, high taxes (y'all ain't seen nothin yet!), death by attrition of both pipe and tobacco companies.
We are dinosaurs, gentlemen. Some of us may survive, but the asteroid has hit.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
We are dinosaurs, gentlemen

Hmmmm. I'll put my money on being one of the bird/dinosaurs that can fly above the BS. If not, I'll run for Congress. I cannot possibly do worse than the jugheads already there.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Then you'd be allowed to smoke in your office, in a Federally owned building no less. They do look after themselves. Jugheads? Hardly. Well I suppose if you're on the outside looking in they might be "jugheads." They are smart enough to exempt themselves from the laws they promulgate.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Long as I'm above dirt and reasonably pain free, the kids and grandson healthy, life is good. The rest is simply entertainment. However, if my livelihood was connected to the tobacco industry, my outlook would be different indeed.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Unfortunately, I don't see things getting any better for us pipe and cigar hobbyist. I would love for the FDA deeming regulations to go away, but I just don't see that happening. I'm crossing my fingers they do, but not holding my breath. With that said, if the deeming regulations do kick in and many of my favorite blends do disappear I will be disappointed; however, there are tons of tobacco's that will not be affected that I will still enjoy for years to come. Of course in the mean time I've been buying blends that are potentially going away. Including Dunhill tobacco's which are going away for an entirely different reason which sucks. I agree with Warren's outlook... life is good as long as my family and I are healthy and I have a roof above my head and food on the table.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
does FDA only apply to producers from USA? Or will English like G&H/SG also be affected? Or even german producers? I haven't heard anything like that about german producers.
Any tobacco product that wants to be licensed for sale in the US will need to meet the same requirements as US manufacturers for the sale of product in the US. So, for example, any SG product will need to meet the packaging and label requirements, per the FDA's rules, to be sold here. Any imported blends introduced into the US market after Feb 15th 2007 will have to go through the same deeming process as domestic blends.
FDA rules apply only to the US market. Other countries have their own versions of crazy.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I remain optimistic.
There is a worldwide shift against government and ideology.
People want more realistic rules and decisions, and realize that ideology is a replacement for realism.
For that reason, these nanny state things are going to fall eventually.

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Paradigms change, as DeathMetal said. Opinions tend to flip-flop with generations; Just like genetic diseases. Won't be long before a changing of the guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.