PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brudnic1

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2012
The Washington Post printed an article on May 3, 3017 stating the FDA announced a three month delay to review the issue.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Yeah... Brian mentioned this on last nights radio show. It sounds like status quo, in that, the new people need to catch up on what's going on. The only thing that's currently in effect is still just no free samples, that is, if I understood Brian correctly from last nights show.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo jv - thanks for that very helpful link. The WPost article adds some new dimensions to the welcome news on the UPCR site concerning the CRA progress with pushing back on the over-reaching Deeming activities of the damnable FDA. I was heartened to see our IPCPR, which represents our interests, in concert with the leadership actions of CRA. The cigar folks seem much more efficacious than us pipesters.
The article highlighted the background of Scott Gottlieb, the new FDA chief: he was on the board of an e-cigarette firm. So he is already familiar with the machinations of Big Tobacco, who it sure looks to me were busy establishing a monopoly by flushing out their smaller competitiors, using the FDA as a witting tool.
hp

les

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Good. It is usually better to have more participants in a market than a few big ones, which are efficient at first and then bloat.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The only thing that's currently in effect is still just no free samples
There's a lot more than that, including no new products without premarket FDA approval. Label changes are allowed, so a grandfathered blend can be rebranded (sold under a different name) but new product must seek and receive FDA approval.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
( For every regulation, two must go. Come on FDA, write another regulation, you know you want to. Just make sure you pass this one along, when you submit your two regulations that will grace the trash can.)*********Collectivist worst nightmare.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Pipe smokers need to get more surly and unreasonable. Being surly and unreasonable is the only way to make society bend to your demands. This headline should read:
"FDA delays armed revolution by postponing deeming rules"

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Finally some good news regarding this whole mess. Yes some damage has been done, but nice to see someone is paying attention.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I caught on a broadcast news cast -- sorry, can't remember the source -- that the vaping industry has launched a full court press on the FDA regs. Since it is a young industry, and not as entrenched as tobacco, they probably feel this is a contest for survival. So that may bog down the discussion for some time to come. Also, it may give time for other interests, like libertarians and other factions, to weigh in on the philosophy. Budgetary and anti-reg considerations may also chip away at these regs, as unneeded overreach. The notions of a pipe show raid or closure of the local independent pipe shop might bring the ACLU into it. There are various fundamentals that should make these regulations a losing proposition.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Let's hope. It was Congress who passed the Deeming legislation, Congress who killed any attempts to modify it, and it will require Congress to vote for changes to it. Whatever hack is put in charge of the FDA now could be out, feeding off the public trough elsewhere, and some other hack put in his place. The Deeming Rule remains a ticking time bomb.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Jesse, that sums it up perfectly. From where I stand, there isn't a pressing desire on the part of Congress or the Executive branch to alter the status quo. Tobacco is a social, and thus political, pariah. Few politicians want to be seen as pro-tobacco these days, not even many of those from the growing states. Perhaps the issue will be swept up in other, much needed reform at the FDA. The recent approval for genetic testing by 23andMe is a positive indicator.

inquisitor3

Lurker
Jun 20, 2017
I'm not a vaper, but I still don't understand how vaping can be banned in the absence of second hand smoke. I mean, to prevent people's use of a legal substance based on location of use in the absence of proof of harm to others is pretty much unconstitutional. Uh, wait. I forgot the Constitution doesn't apply to tobacco. My Bad!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Tobacco has been vilified. Huge injustice continues in the US against young black males and in parallel, young male aborigines in Australia, which is to say that social norms influence what should be the sole pursuit of legality. Calming the FDA down is possible if the case can made in court to a judge who decides the case on its legal merit.

Status
Not open for further replies.