PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
On an average night, you'll see at least 2 or 3 TV ads for lawyers filing class action suits for damage done by pharmaceuticals that were approved by the FDA. Given their track record, I have no doubt that they'll find ways to screw this up just as badly as they have everything else they've tried.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Well to quote dear old Aunt Cathlene " They can kiss my Irish arse! " I have yet to see the FDA do something actually useful.

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Wow. That is just plain stupid...I mean, honestly.

FDA Guy: The TV ads, the text, the obnoxious smoke nazis; none of those stopped smoking. What will work?

FDA Girl: Pictures on the pack?

FDA Guy: Eureka! We've saved the country and will be hailed as heroes of the anti-free...I mean health movement!

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I actually like the pictures. I stopped smoking cigarettes because I saw images similar to those that the FDA now wants to put on the packs. I have seen similar ones on packs over in Europe and I think they are a great idea for cigarettes. However, I believe for cigarettes only. If they begin to try to put those on pipe tobacco tins and pouches then I would be against it.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
We have similar ads on tobacco products here in the UK and have had them for the last 2 years.
You have to be an adult (18+) to buy tobacco in the UK, but the government sees fit to treat those adults like children. Those that smoke are very well aware of the side effects of smoke and as adults are also aware that they have a choice.
A bit hypocritical of ANY government to warn you of the dangers, but yet gain so much in revenue from it.
One could argue that the £10.5 billion duty & tax from tobacco (£8 billion after taking out the £2.5 billion needed to treat smoking related illnesses) in the UK alone, would be better spent on promoting giving up and the therapy/drugs/councilling needed to do that.
But hey! wait a minute... where are they going to find £10.5 billion from if everybody gives up?

And while we are at it, if everybody gave up smoking, will the government health department start to insist that all new babies be stamped with a government health warning saying "Life is bad for your health, it will kill you"?
Now THESE are interesting questions to ask a politician. However, don't hold your breath for a sensible or even a truthful answer.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
It's starting to look like the photos the Brits see on

Pipe tobacco...

frnky4fngrs

Lurker
Nov 7, 2010
I think the photos are absurd. I read about them in the newspaper this morning, I agree with excav8tor those who legally allowed to smoke should and do already know that smoking is bad for your health and if they don't they have bigger things to worry about than lung cancer.
Abecox, I never thought of it that way but now I'm going to have to start collecting them

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I read about this in the paper yesterday. They are going to require that the photos take up 50% of the front of the package AND 50% of the back of the package.
I especially like the ones that play on words. They highlight the "I" in cigarette and highlight the words "Cause Disease" and "Cause Cancer" so it effectively looks like it says - "I Cause Disease" and "I Cause Cancer". That is a great way to alienate people don't you think?
http://gawker.com/5686422/your-12-pack-of-cigarettes-will-now-come-with-these-horrible-pictures-+-gallery/gallery/12
http://gawker.com/5686422/your-12-pack-of-cigarettes-will-now-come-with-these-horrible-pictures-+-gallery/gallery/16
What happened to the whole "be tolerant of other people" thing that the government was "teaching" us?
WTF is next? Banning Happy Meals? Oh wait, they are already doing that. I am going to stop right now because I am super pissed and anything that I say from here will just be cursing and ranting that won't help or change anything.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I believe that pipe tobacco packaging will soon be subject to the same abomination.....it's just a matter of time.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
What in the world makes the United States Government think that I believe they actually care about me?
You want to see how much they care about you, tell them you can't afford to make payments on overdue taxes cause you're broke. Or go to a V.A. Hospital and try to get treated before you die.
There's more to this than what meets the eye.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
What B.S.!
And, not just on cigarettes. The US Smokeless Tobacco Co. has had to put a warning label covering up 50% of the top and sides of their snuff cans for the last couple of months.
The "little" warnings have certainly not hampered my enjoyment of the leaf for the last 40 years. What makes them think these will? What a joke.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The FDA has come up with 36 potential images that it's asking for public comment on; it'll narrow them down and roll them out sometime late next year or early 2012.
So, my preference would be today's Chicago Tribune Editorial "Bokbluster.com" cartoon.
101114boklores.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.