PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
Anybody heard from their local B&M that carries "shop" blends whether or not they are planning on stopping the sale of these blends soon if the current FDA rule changes continue unchanged? (According to the FDA they have to: "Register your establishment and submit list of products, including labeling and advertisements, by June 30, 2017" and "Submit tobacco health documents by August 2017" )

For instance, my local tinderbox store currently offers a store blend called "Left of the Bayou" that they mix mostly from Mac Baren tobaccos. Next stop in I plan on asking them if it's likely that they will stop selling it and hopefully get the recipe if true.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
A couple stores out here pulled all their bulk months ago. Another store will order sealed 5 lb bags of available blends if enough people go in for a group buy, then they can split it among themselves after the purchase. This is killing most all of my tobacco purchases as it's a lot of bulk locally acquired, well it had been so far but I guess the economy here can take another hit as I get pushed to the internet for basic things I need. Not like there are many businesses left here might as well drive out the few small ones remaining, for the sake of the children of course, they're always buying bulk Stokkebye blends, what? that's not at all what kids look for to smoke?

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
Talked to one of the owners and he has no plans to stop selling his store blends since he believes that the FDA will not be able to enforce badly designed rules with limited resources.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My local independent says there's just no clarity. I think he is resigned to obeying regs, but can't tell what they are nor how they relate to the rest of the business, even though he tracks the information coming out of FDA and the information from other retailers and blenders and such. I'm hoping he won't give up and retire. I think he enjoys his shop, but like anyone else, he doesn't need more stress and uncertainty. He's very adaptable, but the necessary clarity is absent.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
One of our local B&Ms went stringent adherence after the FDA announcement; however, since then, due to the vague nature of the regulations (and, as of now, weak enforcement) the same B&M has somewhat relaxed their precautions (for the time being) while waiting for the proverbial axe to drop.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
One thing I'm confused about...is the FDA shitting in the BATFE's sandbox, or is the BATFE shitting in the FDA's sandbox? Or does anyone in the federal government now get to make up and enforce tobacco regs?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Over=reach and cross-reach, aldecaker. This shows us that no one knows who's on first. Regarding the B&M's, mine still continues to offer their house blends in various quantities. I hope that so many at the FDA are sending put resumes that they're too busy to bother with this nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.