Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Fayyum Cake by Hans at HU

(30 posts)
  1. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd previously asked Hans if he made any blends in a crumble cake. He had mentioned Fayyum, but at the time had none in stock. Apparently cake is a more labor intensive product and is manufactured in lessor quantities. Anyways, he finally had some and I ordered 9 tins based on his other products and recommendation. There are a few reviews on the review site, but was curious if anyone here has tried it and what you thoughts are?

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haven't tried it but it sounds interesting! Can't wait to hear what you think when you get it or anyone else's responses here.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I haven't tried it but heard really good things about it on the part of those whom have tried it. I don't think you'll go wrong with HU Tobacco. Your purchase is a good investment.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I say FK kicks the arse out of Penzance real easy.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Guy, that's great news! If it's that much better than Penzance this'll be an epic blend!

Jack, I'll let you know.

Thanks!

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I say FK kicks the arse out of Penzance real easy

If it's that much better than Penzance this'll be an epic blend!

Don't help if you are one that thinks Penzance is overrated, like me

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. echie

echie

Login to Send PM

Looking forward to your review, Nate. I've been dying to try some Hu tobacco, and almost placed a sizeable order a while back. But life happened, I let my best judgement dictate my actions (bastard!), so now I'll have to wait a while...

In the meantime, I'll content myself with reading reviews here, and salivating

Get Pipe Notebook for Android on the Play Store!
    http://pipenotebook.com
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pagan, so you don't like English crumble cake?! Of course, you're free to do so, but it makes me sad

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. shanelktown

shanelktown

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like it similar to gaslight but not as complex. It def falls into that heavy Latakia blends but there are other leaves if you search for them. It is quality stuff.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

@Nate: that's one of the things that put me off Penzance. It does have this great taste - Germain's Oriental leaf has an unequalled taste to it, IMHO-, but it misses some backbone to make it great. And I suspect Fayyum Kake, with some aging, will have both...
    I have a few tins of it but am patiently waiting for them to hit the 3 year mark.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peck gifted me a tin of Fayyum Kake. I was excited to get it and smoke it. Unfortunatly, it didn't live up to what I had built up in my mind.

I smoked about 1/4 of the tin, and then put the rest in the box pass for others to try. Gaslight rings my bell, and I'm glad as it's easier for me to obtain.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the info guys! I'll likely smoke a tin and put the remainders into deep storage. Some don't like what time does to Latakia, but I've tried 30+ year old lat and I LOVE it. I don't have that kinda time left, but a few years should mellow n marry that Latakia nicely.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

@derfargin: Bloody hell! I hope I will not end up disappointed as well. But I do have some Gaslight in stock, so...if ever...

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. jmill208

jmill208

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have the Fayyum, but not the kake. If the kake is better, you will be very pleased.

Hans makes some great shit and is a great guy also. Don't be shy, buy from him.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah he's a good guy and makes amazing blends. Jim and myself will be "making" a small batch of a custom VA/PER Krumble Kake with Hans, packaged for Forum members who want to buy one. It'll be awhile, but it was his idea which very serious cool of him. Can't wait! next on my list is his Zulu blend, then Edward G, followed by a few of his flake blends.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

I like it similar to gaslight but not as complex. It def falls into that heavy Latakia blends but there are other leaves if you search for them. It is quality stuff.

I think that is a very good description. Quality stuff indeed.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Been trying to seek some of that myself.. Since I heard all praise on it from JimInks..
    And also because Fayuum is in Egypt
    Where can I get some?

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.” - Albert Einstein
    Posted 2 years ago #
  18. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ahmad, contact Hans directly. I'm not sure if he has any left. It usually sells out before he gets a chance to list it on his site.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

and the choir sang their beautiful song as my lil parcel arrived upon my doorstep... I opened it with great enthusiasm and a bit of sadness due to Hans closing shop
     photo 3A913720-A456-47AA-8711-97446575C352_zpsfknk6cbu.jpg

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wish I could share the aroma coming out of this tin. It's the finest tobacco I've ever smelled. It looks like the perfect brownie... because of the wonderful smell, the shape, and consistency... i can't help but be tempted to take a bite of this beautiful Kake!!!
     photo 80461630-6617-436B-A543-AD5FEB620891_zpsvc3wwpwv.jpg photo 3DB784A4-BDFF-491B-9CEF-1B55B9D6D4B6_zpsiyktaqaf.jpg photo 743CC8BE-A409-4A2E-9E1A-1FA469E67B3E_zpsxsy12lxg.jpg

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I.am.drooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooling.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nate, that looks delicious!! Good call on that one!

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Having smoked Hans' Director's Cut, I just looked for Fayyum Kake. As Nate said, it ain't listed on the HU site.

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 2 years ago #
  24. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If anyone wishes to try it, I'd be more than happy to send a few samples out. If you like this kinda leaf, it really doesn't get much better. It's a truly beautiful full English lat Kake.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nate, I'd definitely be interested in giving it a try.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great Jack! Forward your info. You'll love the stuff!

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. echie

echie

Login to Send PM

Oh man, I would love to try that! Hu's been on my radar for just the wrong amount of time - right when I stopped being able to justify the cost, and now this :/

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

While I am tempted, I am not that into Lat so it would be wasted on me. Wonderful offer though Nate

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jeff, you never know till you try
    echie, happy to send you some!

If anyone else is interested, here's jims review and it's quite accurate. Just forward your address to me if interested.

Here is Jims Spot On review of Fayyum Kake...
    "2014-08-06
    ★★★★
    My review for the Fayyum Mixture is virtually the same as it is for the Kake, as the same ingredients are used. The Kake is just a mite stronger. This is a rich, full bodied English, creamy and smooth from start to finish. The Cyprian latakia is smokey, woody sweet, and boldly takes the lead without turning this blend into a latakia-bomb. The black cavendish adds a mellow sweetness with no vanilla. The Kentucky is slightly spicy, and full of the flavors you expect as it plays back up with a hint of cocoa and nuts. The Virginia is naturally citrus sweet and earthy, setting the stage for the other ingredients. The cake itself is a little moist and breaks apart with ease. Not a harsh note to be found, it burns well and smoother than your average English. It does leave a slight moisture in the bottom at the finish if you don't dry it just a little, but it's not goopy or unpleasant. A perfect evening blend that even less experienced smokers in this genre will enjoy."

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. echie

echie

Login to Send PM

Thanks Nate! Sent you a PM

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   npod, craiginthecorn, the85boro, smittyd, mso489, jguss, donjgiles, yaboofive, skeeter456