Favorite Way to Dress a Homemade Pizza Up?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
I recently acquired a pizza dough recipe that only requires about 30 to 45 minutes to let rise after a 10 minute kneading.
It can then be dressed with toppings of any sort and baked in an oven for 20 minutes.
My first two tries gave me an absolute 5 star crust.So now I have the foundation.
I want to keep making them until I finally something I can call my own signature dish.
My question is "Does anyone have certain combination's in mind (including the sauce if need be)that might just scream out "Good Pizza",so that I can play around till I find what impresses me and my company"?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think the following is very good, and doesn't involve mixing and rising:
Pillsbury sells a crusty thin style pizza dough in one of those poppin' tubes.

Just unroll it, spread it on a big spray-oiled cookie sheet and bake it for 8 minutes.

After that, spread some Ragu pizza sauce & toppings (Igloo's idea sounds good),

then bake again on a rack (i.e. no pan) for 11 minutes.
And just to keep this in the "General Pipe Smoking Discussion" thread, have a bowl of P.A. after you've eaten the pizza.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
Thanks for the inside scoop on that Pillsbury dough cortezattic.I will get it tomorrow and try it.
I agree,Igloo may have something there.
I keep forgetting that we live in a world now where we don't have as mush work to do in the kitchen if we shop around.
I remember making the Pillsbury cookies from the frozen dough,and they were awesome,but I never thought to check if they had a dough for pizza.
That will make my experiments with toppings much more enjoyable because of the lesser work load.

reddazes

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2010
I like me my red sauce ^_^ but toppings. Pineapple, fresh sliced tomato, and basil, (if you are feeling daring you can throw on some baked chicken) it's my favorite pizza topping of all time... also good with a white sauce...

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
What are your thoughts on frying up some bacon and sprinkling that on under the cheese.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
I like that fresh sliced tomato idea!!
Baked chicken?-Were rockin now!Good idea.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm pretty conservative in my use of toppings... mostly traditional Italian style stuff. But I have tried sliced tomato and it's very good. Just be sure to use the Roma or plum tomatoes (they're oblong and firm) because they are meatier and won't soak your crust with watery juice.
Another finishing trick is to drizzle a spiral of extra virgin olive oil over the entire pizza after it's been cooked.

That's a very "New York" thing to do; but New Yorkers know their pizza ...and hot dogs.

(We Chicagoans are more into Italian beef sandwiches.)

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I had a friend who worked for a top Italian restaurant in Las Vegas . The secret to the sauce was grape jelly . Add a heaping spoonful to a premade sauce and watch the crowd rave .

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
I'm glad you mentioned the E.V.O.O. because that is supposed to be good for you also.
Good point about using the Roma tomatoes.Wouldn't want a soggy pizza because one would fail in the mission if you could not even hold a slice without having it flopping over.
I'm starting to see where it is important to take note of even the finer details.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
igloo-

Now that you mention it,that grape jelly just might be the hidden ingredient I could keep a secret for a signature dish.Who would ever guess?
I hope it works.The question then would be "are there any ingredients you should not pair with grape jelly so as to make it counter intuitive?"
Great insight igloo.

reddazes

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2010
Ernest- I buy the premade marinara sauce, I have a good pizza sauce recipe lying around somewhere, but I am normally far to lazy to dig it up and make it from scratch. ^_^
cortezattic said:

Where I live, you'd get beat-up if someone saw you putting pineapple on a pizza. (LOL)
^_^ hehe they could try, but it would do little to sway me! Pineapple is a staple in my diet, easily on my list of top 10 favorite foods.... i put it on anything I can! lol

scratchglfr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2010
Cortez you should have reccomended CLASSICO, then the mason jar can be reused LOL. Make sure you try it on your spaghetti as well

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
That's RIGHT ! Why not kill two birds with one stone? In fact, I'll use Classicco sauce and add in some Smuckers grape jelly. That'll eventually give me two good tobacco jars.
@Reddazes, you might like these offerings from PipesAndCigars.com:
Altadis Bulk - Ambrosia J8 - (by the ounce) $3.50

In classical mythology, Ambrosia was the food of the Gods. Today Ambrosia ... certainly fits this rather remarkable blend. An exotic flavor mixture of pineapple, marshmallow, and coconut has been added to choice Burley and ...
Altadis Bulk - Pina Colada (by the ounce) $3.50

Since 1978 the Pina Colada has been Puerto Rico's national drink. Rum, Coconut, and Pineapple capture the flavor of the country. The base is comprised of ...
Hmmmm... now to find a pizza flavored aromatic...

scratchglfr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2010
Cortez What we we all do without each other? Don't answer that.Again thanks for all the good advice on pipe smoking.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
It's time to go all out. Get multiple cheeses, doesn't matter what kind as long as they melt. Then, get a costco sized bacon strips, throw those on top. Bake, cool, consume!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
scratchglfr said
thanks for all the good advice on pipe smoking

That's mighty gracious of you. But in reality I'm just an opinionated old fart that enjoys sucking on P.A. and Vapers.

If you want some really useful info, read Bob Tate's work on this site. He's accumulated a lifetime's supply

of knowledge in just a few years of pipe smoking (but I think he comes from some other tobacco background because his palate

seems rather well educated.)

Status
Not open for further replies.