PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twoadaydanny

Lurker
Aug 16, 2011
I'm wondering--what tobaccos do you all find to have the most attractive tin art or tin design? What tobaccos do you find to have particularly unattractive tins?
Personally, I love the tin designs of Squadron Leader and Grousemoor. And those Dan Tobacco tins with the American Revolution theme look pretty cool too. On the flip side... why can't RRR come in a tin that looks more like Marlin Flake? And why can't Mac Baren use capital letters?
Obviously, it's what's inside the tin that matters most. But I do appreciate a good design. And all things being equal, I'd prefer a beautiful tin to an ugly one.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Darn I can never find the old threads, but we had a thread about 6 months ago on this with lots of pics...anyone find it for me?
I like the WO Larsen Dark Blue tin

signat.jpg

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
I wish I knew how to upload pics. I like the artwork on the Frog Morton tins and the purple cow and the exhausted rooster tins as well.

twoadaydanny

Lurker
Aug 16, 2011
Thanks Hobie1dog. I found that old thread (not sure how to link to it). But it seemed to deal more with antique, out-of-production tins. I was thinking more of currently available tins -- in-production tobacco.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I'm a sucker for that rich looking Navy Blue color every time...like those Rolex watches with the silver, gold and the blue faces. :worship:

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Agree re: Squadron Leader. A personal favorite.
Of course, as previously discussed, I also very much enjoy this one:
pres.jpg

twoadaydanny

Lurker
Aug 16, 2011
Hobie1dog--Agreed that a deep blue can look dignified. And I like the color matched with a white or ivory. They may be brighter blue than you're thinking of, but Dunhill Flake and F&T Cut VA plug strike me as very nice looking tins.
Schmitzbitz--with you on the Sweet Vanilla Honeydew. And in the same vein--I wish I liked the Blue Note tin more, but it's not all that appealing to me.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Cornell & Diehl comes to mind first. They probably have the largest collection of really cool tin art.
I also like the artwork on Pease's tins.
And I like the old fashioned look of the E. Hoffman Co. (by Iwan Ries) Spillman Mixture and Distinguished Gentleman.

twoadaydanny

Lurker
Aug 16, 2011
Another classic with the Presby.
Here's a related question: The "death threats" that you see on tins sold in the EU or in Canada... like them or hate them?
On the one hand, I hate to see "Smoking Kills" obscuring half of a tin of SL. But some of the more hysterical claims related to second hand smoke? I kind of like them. I have the sense that in 50 or 60 years, science and reason will prevail, and these will be seen as quaint artifacts of an age's delusions. Like a phrenology chart strikes us today.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
i have to say the Frog Morton Tins. The pen and ink with watercolour is an all time favorite look of mine in general.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I like the art on CAO Cherry Bomb, squadron Leader and the cool old castle/mansion on thr Black House tin. I thought the art on the Magnum Opus tin was a little boring, but that smoke is badass enough Russ could put it in a white tin with BACCY in black letters and I wouldn't have complained.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Here's a related question: The "death threats" that you see on tins sold in the EU or in Canada... like them or hate them?
Honestly, I don't even notice them. On pipe-tobacco, they put the warning sticker either on the lid (in the case of C&D or McClelland type tins), or on the back (in the case of the round/square metal tins). The tax-stamp does cover-up some of the tin art on the square/round metal tins, as it has to cover the opening to show that the tin is sealed, but it doesn't show a half-dead lung, so its not so bad (actually, the new Canadian tax stamp is sort of attractive, I think). On the C&D type tins, they put the tax stamp over the pull-tab on the seal.
What I do notice, however, is the big, bold stamp that I see on pretty much every tin of pipe-tobacco I've come across in Vancouver, informing the purchaser that the product is U.S. Tax Exempt. Some tobacconists find an unobtrusive place on the label to place it, but most simply stick it square in the middle of the art.

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
My current top five favorite tin art:
1. Skiff

2. Grousemoor

3. Squadron Leader

4. Early Morning Pipe

5. Commonwealth

pipmannen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
I really like the tin art of Dunhill Nightcap, and also Peterson´s special editions, like Summertime 2011 and their Christmas tobacco

atuukson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2011
Sweden
1290551457-Peterson%20Summertime%20Blend%202010.jpg

dont like the tobacco that mucho but tin looks great!

also peterson summertime 2011 looks great aswell (could find a pic tho)

Status
Not open for further replies.