PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2015
Hey guys, this is my first post. Recently I've tried a few of the sutliff private stock blends and would like to explore more of them. I really like the Navigator, Top Shelf, and Molto Dolce blends in particular. What are some of your favorite blends from Sutliff and why?

ctron

Lurker
Mar 25, 2013
Golden age is one of only a few sutliff blends I have tried. I like Va/Pers and this one was decent for the price. I'm not huge into aromatics so the majority of their lines don't interest me.

Briar Boy

(astrange1)
Apr 8, 2013
Bosphorus Cruise & Court of St. James are my top two but I find most of their "natural" blends pretty good, the aros not so much.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I prefer their non-aromatic Westminster (not to be confused with GL Pease's Westminster) and Balkan 957, but I have enjoyed Great Outdoors and Taste of Summer aromatics as a change of pace. I like aromatics that are tobacco forward, not all flavored up or over-sweet. However, I do keep in mind that aromatic smokers are the majority of pipe smokers and keep the economy of pipe smoking alive.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'm a fan of the Luxury Balkan 957 and Westminster. I have a tin of Bosphorous Cruise that's unopened and I'll give it whirl after I clear up some of the many open tins I'm smoking my way through. As for Sutliff they make a ton of blends at very affordable prices and there's more than likely a few that any pipe smoker can enjoy.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
From the Private Stock line I have only tried:
Taste of Autumn (not in my regular rotation)

1849 (not in regular rotation)

Molto Dolce (won't buy again)
Others I enjoy from the Sutliff line:
*511 Black Whiskey (no longer available?)

Whiskey Cavendish (in bulk, same as Dutch Masters)

*Dutch Masters Whiskey Cavendish

*Voodoo Queen

Vanilla Latte (1 free tin)
*Denotes favorites.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
johnnyreb, was 511 Black Whiskey different from their Black Whiskey? P&C have the Black Whiskey by Sutliff in stock currently.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
johnnyreb, was 511 Black Whiskey different from their Black Whiskey? P&C have the Black Whiskey by Sutliff in stock currently.
It probably is the same tobacco. TobaccoReviews.com still shows it as 511 and being available but I was thinking after the buyout by Mac Baren it was one of the blends that was to be discontinued last fall. The last I bought & have jarred I bought from P&C I think.
This does bring up another question however, between Dutch Masters Whiskey Cavendish & Whiskey Cavendish (bulk only). I've never bought any of the WC in bulk but was always under the belief that it was the same as DMWC. Apparently not however. TobaccoReviews.com rates DMWC at 2.7 & available, and WC at 4.0 & available with the addition of burley & Virginias. I guess I should try some of the WC!
Classified as aros but to me these seem to be whiskey cased & not topped, and tobacco forward blends.
Thanks for pointing that out, Okiescout.

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
Field Master is a darn good English Style. Product info states it contains Latakia, Virginias, Burly and Turkish.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
#5 hits the spot!Sooth and flavorful. Barbados Plantation is another for me especially in a deep meerschaum.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
Blend #5 and Edward G Robinson.
Molto Dolce gets a lot of love, but I found it ridiculously wet and thus very difficult to keep aflame.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Lately I've seen videos of Cornell and Dheil's production, a visit with the owner of Milan Tobaccos, a clip showing the making of Semois, and one of the Mac Baren factory. Quite a variety of production facility.

Consolidation of resources by tobacco processors (Scandinavian Tobacco?) seems to result in having several brands produced by one blender.

The names of companies, and blends become the consumer touchstone. Which name do you 'respond' to more favorably?

Sutliff? Mac Baren?

I'd be interested to know if P&C's blends are produced by Sutliff/Mac Baren.

http://www.sutliff-tobacco.com/home.html

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I mainly love the non hardcore aromatics, CD, EGR, ERR, R-Blend, Old San Fran, etc. One that I've been going through like crazy is Breckenridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.