PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
I admit it, I love the Dan. It's way too sophisticated for me to deal with and the songs are insanely complex and played excellently. So what's your favorite Steely Dan album?
For me, it's
220px-The_Royal_Scam_album_cover.jpg

There won't ever be an opening track like Kid Charlemagne. The Fez is just flat out funky. Don't Take Me Alive is like a mid-70s hipster divorced dad's wet dream. the title track might be their best track ever. Just flawless playing throughout.
Followed closely by
220px-Steely_Dan-Countdown_to_Ecstacy.jpg

The band was just on fire throughout each song, Show Biz Kids is surreal and intense. Boston Rag might be one of my top 5 Dan songs ever.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Generally speaking I'm not very motivated to comment on non-pipe & 'baccy threads, but I can't help it this time...because I'm a huge Dan fan. As for fav album, I'd have to pick Countdown to Ecstasy. It's just so da*n good. And while we're at it, it's worth letting anyone who cares know that they have produced 2 new studio albums in more recent years that hold their own against their '70's stuff: 2 Against Nature and Everything Must Go...both fantastic. So smoke a bowl in honor of Don & Walt! :puffy:

adam12

May 16, 2011
Personally, I like Everything Must Go far more than Two Against Nature... just something about the darkness and urgency of it... it seemed to have a little more staying power as well.

johnd

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2012
Loved Royal Scam. Also Katy Lied, Aja and Countdown to Ecstasy.

Got to see them play in Chicago 2 years ago - great. They opened with Bodhisattva.

Becker played a lot, but he had a lead guitarist play many of the more vigorous parts while he looked on. Fagan's voice, always thready anyway still sounded the same.

The music didn't suffer from the passage of time at all IMHO.

adam12

May 16, 2011
I saw them in (I think) 2006, it was probably one of the most flawless concerts I have ever seen, they had the best drummer I have ever heard, the guy was everywhere but at the same time very controlled and creative... just an outstanding show. Babylon Sisters live was amazing!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
adam12: Yes, I guess I'd have to agree that EMG is superior to 2AN, but I seem to like 2AN more than the avg Dan fan...I think it's better than its reputation.
I'd also agree that EMG was rather prophetic when it came out regarding what was shortly to transpire in the world of corporate finance.

adam12

May 16, 2011
I'd also agree that EMG was rather prophetic when it came out regarding what was shortly to transpire in the world of corporate finance.
That was the "darkness" that I was thinking of... it seems like they really had a feel for what was going on out there... they never really were "political" about it, but much of their lyrics were wildly intriguing in retrospect.
Two Against Nature is one I generally don't return to except for a few songs. I think it's underrated in general, but it was obviously an album that could have benefited from a little "seasoning"

Oct 22, 2011
How could I NOT say 'Aja'? This is a drumming masterpiece. (Im a drummer myself.) Steve Gadd with the solo on the title track. Bernard Perdie and Jim Keltner also lay down serious groove as well on drums. Great album. Some of you have referred to recent concerts and the drummer. His name is Keith Carlock. He's an amazing drummer and a grad of the Univ of North Texas.

adam12

May 16, 2011
How could I NOT say 'Aja'? This is a drumming masterpiece. (Im a drummer myself.) Steve Gadd with the solo on the title track. Bernard Perdie and Jim Keltner also lay down serious groove as well on drums.
I don't know who handles "I Got the News" (I thought it was Rick Marotta?), but that drumbeat is tighter than a crab's ass. The end part of that track is unstoppably funky.
The four drummers on "Gaucho" are ridiculous: Marotta, Purdie, Steve Gadd, and Jeff Porcaro, are you kidding me?!?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I must also mention their fantastic DVD, "Two Against Nature, Steely Dan's plush TV Jazz-Rock party in sensuous surround sound". A must see & hear for any Dan fan. The band is awesome and the performance on Kid Charlemagne especially is out of sight.
An added treat are little segments between some of the songs of Don & Walt interviewing band members & other associates...truly hilarious.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Adam12 you mention Kid Charlemagne and Don't Take Me Alive.

Those were the tracks that immediately leaped into my mind... Good stuff.

220px-The_Royal_Scam_album_cover.jpg

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
I'm a big fan too...Aja and Can't Buy a Thrill keep switching places in my top spot so I'll fudge and list them both hehe.

I'm also one of those guys who thinks vinyl sounds best, cds are just more convenient.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Not a huge Steely Dan fan like you guys but I have the greatest hits CD I spin once in a while. I guess my favorite would be FM (No Static At All) which was actually released as a single.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Hmm, I only have the two new albums and Aja. I'll have to check out Ectasy and Royal Scam. I have a few Fagan solo efforts, "Kamakiriad" is a favorite.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I love Steely Dan! I was lucky enough to see them in concert in Atlanta back in the '90's. I also have to vote Royal Scam as my favorite (well, tied with Aja) with Haitian Divorce as one of my favorite songs.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Hands down "Aja" but "Black Sneakers" is one of my favorite cuts. I have everything they've recorded including when they were in college. Donald Fagan grew up about 20 minutes from me so its a Jersey thing as well.

adam12

May 16, 2011
I am bumping this thread to continue the discussion because a Steely Dan thread is mandatory in a pipe forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.