PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Sort of a "home remedies" thread. Share a make-do component or implement you codgered up on the spot to make do in a pinch.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Dry stalk as pipe cleaner.
Breeze caused pipe to burn fast. Moisture developed. Nothing with me except pipe, lighter and tobacco.
Dead, straw-like stalk near the cattails where my secret lunchtime smoking spot is made a dandy pipe cleaner. Wicked away moisture. Just don't be aggressive with it or I suppose it could break off inside the stem, smoke over.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
No really inventive pipe-related improvs other than grabbing a golf tee for a tamper since I was feeling too lazy to go inside and get one. Now I use tees more than anything since I like how the concave top can be used to pack the ash/tobacco toward the center of the bowl.

transmutated

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2014
Using a twig as a tamper a couple of times is about it for me.

However, can using a cigarette lighter instead of matches to light my pipe (which I've had to resort to a few times) count?

I don't have anything against those of you that prefer lighters to matches (it's just a matter of personal taste) but...I cannot stand lighting a pipe with one and find resorting to doing so...traumatic.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Angostura bitters are also good for digestive issues. I know someone who stained furniture with them as well so I guess staining a pipe with bitters could work as well. Handy stuff to have around.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Bad cut can be clotted with cob webs, moistened tobbaco applied on a wasp sting relieves it, toothpaste on fire ant bite dries it , no puss pocket, sassafras leaves works wonders on teenage acne, coke syrup settles an upset stomach. Ear ache on children eased by cig or pipe smoke in ear and covering with cotton ball.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Hey Brad, that cigar smoke thing reminds me of the time my father-in-law had me blow smoke in his aching ear. He said, "You've been blowing smoke up my ass for so long that it's about time you put it to good use."

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Plantain can be used for bug bites. Chew it or just roll up the leaf and rub it on the bite. I usually use tea tree oil though..
http://www.livescience.com/15322-healthiest-backyard-weeds.html

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
A 45/70 shell casing makes a good tamper for most bowls. If you have a gurgler and no pipe cleaners, tamp, get a firm grip on the bowl and snap the wrist to expel the moisture through the bit and onto your buddies t-shirt. Works wonders for you and the pipe, pisses off the buddy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Plenty of ice and then cool, strong brewed tea for a kitchen burn. In the Navy, I cured plantar's warts by taping

them over with regular white medical tape. It changed the ecology of my heels just enough to make the warts

go away. Surprised me.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
For hickups: Spoonful of sugar

For indigestion: Peanut butter cracker / Teaspoon of baking soda in a little water

For Ant Hills: No pesticide remedy is to sprinkle grits on them. They take it to the nest, All eat and it swells them and they blow-up.

Squirrels in the attic: Spray diluted water containing Tabasco sauce around. They leave.

Castor oil in the garden will keep moles out.

Horney when Honey gone: Take the matter in hand and it will all come out in the end. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.