PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
I have recently gone crazy after reading some descriptions of various Peterson blends and have added a ton of their tins to my collection. Among those, here is what I have acquired in the past couple of weeks:
Hyde Park

Nutty Cut

Irish Whiskey

Irish Oak

University Flake

Peterson Perfect Plug
And this is on top of the Irish Flake, the Deluxe Mixture, and the Sunset Breeze I already had. Anyone had any experience with any of these? The Peterson Perfect plug sounded particularly interesting to me as I am starting to like my smokes a little more stout and hefty after trying some Cornell and Diehl Montford Point Marine and some Five Brothers.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
How much of the Plum can you taste on the University flake, is overly sweet? Does it have any Lakeland essence? I just checked out a bunch of description at tr, it seems that most of the Peterson blends are aromatics.

Jul 15, 2011
I just checked out a bunch of description at tr, it seems that most of the Peterson blends are aromatics.
Cigrmaster, I used to think this as well, but reading over some of the reviews of the Perfect Plug and University Flake made me think that this might not be the case. The Irish Oak has perique which got my attention cause I loves me some perique. The Perfect Plug sounds like it might be a more stout, straightforward blend as does University Flake. I do know that the Deluxe Mixture and Sunset Breeze are full blown aromatics.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have smoked a fair number of Pete blends. Old Dublin and Sherlock Holmes are staples.
I would not consider Uni Flake an aro. Like Irish Flake,it has a nice taste, but has too much nic for me. Irish Oak is not bad; I would say it is the Va/per I dislike least. Irish Whiskey was not bad, but did nothing for me.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
University Flake has some sort of topping - like plums perhaps but its not too overpowering. Irish Oak is a nice VaPer mixture with probably a fair bit of burley in it so it doesn't bite unless you push it. 3Ps is a solid chunk of dark tobacco, rich and heavy duty in Vitamin N. Its pressed quite hard and you'll need a good sharp knife to get a slice. All of them are pretty heavy duty in nicotine for me but I still like them. At first I quite disliked Irish Whiskey but found myself smoking it on a regular basis and now its part of my Peterson rotation. Still trying to like the other Pete aromatics.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I agree with jud on the irish whiskey, not bad, but did nothing for me. I find that petersons aro's leave a filmy feeling in my mouth. Almost like i have a hair stuck in the back of my throat. For what its worth, they all have great tin notes.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Irish Flake has no equivalent. It's just good and very stout.
Uni Flake to me tastes like Erinmore flake on steroids. That's a very good thing in my book.
I like Irish Oak too but it has a bit too much ummmph to be a regular smoke. Still a nice VaPer. And I don't smoke those very often.
I don't do aromatics except for Grousemoor but I sort of liked their Irish Whiskey. And found the Gold Blend and Deluxe mixtures to NOT be my cuppa.
Going to put in for a tin of 3P on the next stock-up order just to try it.

Jul 15, 2011
I dont have the University Flake, Irish Oak, or P3 in my hands yet. I have considered popping one of them when I get them. Still saving Irish Flake for a special occasion. What about their Nutty Cut? Anyone try that one yet? I think I remember reading on here a little while back that someone liked it but I cant remember who.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Connoisseur's Choice, one of the few aromatics I smoke.
Ditto. Doesn't have that awful artificial taste that most aromatics have, but the flavors (coconut, pineapple, rum...) come through really strong.
I also love Irish Flake, but it is very strong in nicotine.

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
It's higher than the Smokers Pride I was puffing on before I got my tins, but I found it nice, not too much, not too little. I definitely noticed the nic hit in Dunhill Nightcap, but that was to be expected, it wasn't too much but I wouldn't smoke that exclusively throughout the day, that might be too much. Irish Oak, I can smoke comfortably through the day. Puffin on some right now. :puffy:

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
It has a very subtle sweetness to it that comes and goes, I don't know what it is but I like it. rothnh suggested the sweetness I tasted may be a hint of anise.

Jul 15, 2011
Im looking forward to the Irish Oak. Actually, madmurdoc, you talking about it was what persuaded me to snag a tin of it. These Peterson tins are gonna last me a good long while I think. Anymore it takes me forever to make it through a tin of tobacco so they should carry me through the summer months.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Univeristy Flake says it has a plum casing, but it's barely noticeable. A good smoke with a bit of a nic kick, not nearly as powerful as Irish Flake though.
I'm an aromatic smoker so I've only tried the aros, but I can say that Irish Whiskey and Sherlock Holmes seem to be more leaf flavor forward rather than casing flavor forward. Nutty Cut is a delicious blend with more of a casing forward flavor. I also love all of their Limited Edition blends with the exception of the 2012 Summertime blend. Those are usually fantastic blends that transfer the flavor of the casing better.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I don't smoke many aros but I love Univeristy Flake. The casing is in the background enough that I enjoy it. The nic kick is pretty good but its not a kick in the face. I often mix it 50/50 with C&D Old Joe Krantz.

Status
Not open for further replies.