PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I bought a 14 oz can of SWR and it's my first decent tobacco since I started smoking a pipe a few short weeks ago, as far as over the counter tobacco.

I've read a lot of comments on Carter Hall.

Could someone provide a comparison based on experience?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
A valuable source of information on blends is www.tobaccoreviews.com

It's been many years since I've smoke SWR or Carter Hall but they certainly have their fans here. Those blends have been around forever and are still popular today. I remember SWR being more aromatic than CH. Another ancient blend still available is Prince Albert, though much to my chagrin after 44 years of pipe smoking I've never had it.

Burley based blends are as American as pipe tobacco gets and there are some fine ones to be had. Good luck and have fun; that's what this is all about.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I've smoked all three and the only one I like, and still occasionally smoke is PA.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
A valuable source of information on blends is http://www.tobaccoreviews.com

Yes it is very informative. Unfortunately, that particular website doesn't mention SWR OR Carter Hall, while it DOES mention Walgreen's.

I read before I ordered, but, I just thought I'd get experienced feedback, which I have...thanks.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
The recently demised Sugar Barrel is my all-time favourite OTC. May it rest in peace. I smoked Captain Black White happily for years, and will still revisit it on occasion for old times sake.
If it's considered an OTC, I implore you to look into and try Edward G. Robinson Blend. I had nothing but EGR this week, and I freakin' loved it.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I smoked that (PA) back when I was young and like I am now.

OTC's seem to be more susceptible to getting hot by smoking them too fast, and that's how I remember PA...also, I think I tried to roll most of it. From what I've read, they've all got their devoted followers, from PA, to Granger, to Carter Hall, SWR, Captain Black, Half & Half, Sail, and two I haven't tried but have seen in this list, Walnut, and Sugar Barrel.

I like the SWR in a 14 oz. can. I think cans are the truer test of the product. Which one shall I try next?

(and yes, I am beginning to try some more handcrafted blends as well.) I have had such a good experience with the SWR I wondered about others.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Love my Carter Hall. Smooth, gentle, and mild. Light it and forget about it. Always an ALL DAY blend for me...

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Sugar Barrel is "it" in mind. When I'm done with this tub I am going to start home casing to see if I can make an enjoyable substitute.

20140527_122139.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I second Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend, which probably surprises nobody. I also really like Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match, which Pipes&Cigars sells. It's pretty darn close to the original. I like Carter Hall, but I prefer SWR.
I'm a little confused as to why Newbroom couldn't find reviews for SWR at TobaccoReviews.com. Here's the link: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1237/brown-williamson-sir-walter-raleigh

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
One "OTC" I've been meaning to pull the plug on is Angler's Dream. EGR is a good smoke and I haven't tried ERR Match. But if JimInks says it's good than it must be.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Leacha: Thank you for the vote of confidence. I really like ERR Match. I spent a weekend last fall comparing it to the original and it was very close. Only difference was the original was just a little deeper in taste. If I hadn't been doing a direct comparison, I might not have been able to tell a difference.
Btw, Angler's Dream is a really good blend. The smell out of the tub is absolutely terrific, and it tastes just as it smells. I recently finished a tub of it, and need to get another sometime. The touch of cinnamon helped hook me. Here's my review of both blends if it'll help:
ERR Match: It packs well, stays lit, and is a very cool, consistent smoke all the way to the bottom - no bite. Nutty with a molasses flavor and a little cocoa. I can see this being a very good starter burley for someone who has never tried the genre, and I can see it being a regular rotation blend for someone who has. It took me a couple of bowls to get into it, but once I did, I gained appreciation for it. A really good work and all day play smoke that may not be complex, but will satisfy your wants for OTC burleys.
This Match is very close to the original. I spent a weekend comparing the two versions. The original seemed a little fuller, deeper in the molasses taste, and that's the only difference I can tell. The cut and look of the tobacco is the very same. The more I smoke it, the better I like it. In a blind taste test, it would be very hard to tell which was which.
Angler's Dream: I took a chance after talking to Russ about this blend. I'm glad I listened to him because I like it. It may have a little less nuttiness than your standard OTC, and maybe a little less cocoa taste than Prince Albert, but both are noticeable in this blend. I also taste light honey and the cinnamon adds a light, tasty spice. The natural sweetness of the red Virginia is mild, but flavorful. A few people have remarked that it's not complex, but compared to OTCs, I think it is because of the variety of flavors noted. I do recommend you hydrate it first because it's packed very dry, and the flavors are more obvious when moistened a little. Some, including Russ himself, think it's better dry, and I have enjoyed it that way, but I still like a slight bit of moisture in my tobaccos. Either way, it burns well with no tongue bite, very light casing, extremely pleasant and consistent taste, and has a great room note. It has one of the most entrancing aromas when you open the baggie that I've ever smelled. It's a very good all day smoke and not expensive. What more do you need to know? If you like this genre, you should give it a try.
Btw, I'm smoking Carter Hall right now. This thread made me do it!!! Against my will, of course. :wink:

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I do enjoy both Carter Hall, and Prince Albert. CH and PA used to be neck and neck for me, but Carter Hall has pulled out front. I would like to try the PA Choice at some point too.
I tried Sir Walter, and only smoked about 3 bowls, and really didn't care for it. There was a taste that was artificial to me. I did hang on to the pouch, and will revisit to see if it was just an off day for me.
Half & Half was a different story entirely. Within 5 minutes after I lit it up, I dumped the bowl, and threw the pouch away.
I've been wanting to try all the OTC's and get an idea of what I would like, and it seems Carter Hall is my favorite. I recently ran across a B&M in my travels for work that had a tub of Sugar Barrel, so I bought it. (funny thing is it was their last one, and the shop owner wrote down a "re-order" note and put it on the spot where the Sugar Barrel tub was, I didn't tell him that it was no longer in production) I thought I wouldn't have the opportunity to try it. My luck is, that I'll enjoy it and have to ration this tub.

mrdottle

Lurker
Jan 13, 2014
Carter Hall followed by PA.
I am not a fan of SWR. Half & Half? I found Half of it very bad. The other Half was not nearly as good. TURBL stuff, but it may not be the same Half & Half our fathers and grandfathers puffed. And I will smoke a bowl of Mixture 79 every 6 months or so and find it most enjoyable if smoked VERY SLOWLY. If I smoke it more often than that I find it unbearable.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
@JimInks LOL about the CH. I have you and a couple others marked as my favorite reviewers. Your reviews have made me pick up baccy that I normally wouldn't have.
@derfargin its funny you mentioned Half & Half, in another thread we were discussing Deer Tongue and I think I read someplace that H&H used to have DT in it. Once it was removed it was never the same according to the "Old Timers"

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
My favorite of the OTCs that I've tried is Walnut, a light English, American style. It has been discontinued just like Sugar Barrel, so if you see one anywhere you might want to grab ahold of it, if you like light English blends.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
There will be clones available soon for both Sugar Barrel and Walnut. We should see both of them soon.
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.