PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I do like to eat out. In NYC I have a few favorites like Brasserie Magritte,the French place on 78th and Lexington whose name escapes me. Peter Luger's is a fun place if you can stand the trip to Brooklyn, The Four Seasons is fun and makes a very good Vespa. Any New Yorkers here to add further ideas?

Dec 24, 2012
Le Bernardin
http://le-bernardin.com
Have been to Luger's many times and it is great. For steak, I also like Del Frisco and Wolfgangs.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm not a New Yorker, but I love the city and have visited more than two dozen times.
Two of my favorites are:
Osteria Laguna in Midtown, just a couple of blocks east of Grand Central on 42nd Street. Really good Italian, with quite reasonable prices for Midtown Manhattan.
I always make it a point to have Sunday brunch at Isabella's on Columbus Avenue, just across from the Museum of Natural History. (There's a flea market at a P.S. across the street on Sundays that makes for a fun stop too. After that, a walk through Central Park. . . and what more could you want?)
Bob

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Stayed with my buddy in Williamsburg in Brooklyn a couple of years ago. We ate at this great little restaurant called The Meatball Shop. What a great little place, well priced, fun atmosphere and very high quality food. We were in town for 5 days, I think we ate there three out of the five nights, it was that good!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
For Italian head over to New Jersey. Il Villagio in Carlstadt is 15 minutes from the Lincoln Tunnel. Terrific place.

https://local.yahoo.com/info-10716197-il-villaggio-carlstadt;_ylt=ApbGE1DzXXpHz6qyCcCgHASHNcIF;_ylv=3?csz=Rutherford%2C+NJ
For the best Italian food in the USA I'd nominate Il Capricio in Whippany, NJ. Hands down the best. About 40 minutes from NYC but 1 mile from JR Cigars on Rte 10 East.
http://ilcapriccio.com/

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Not a New Yorker, but I occasionally get to the city to see family. 2nd Ave Deli. I haven't been there since they relocated and reopened, but when I heard that they had been forced to close due to landowner greed I felt very sad. Its demise effectively took NYC off the culinary map. Fancy restaurants and chop houses are common. Great deli is an endangered species.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I've never been. But had a friend who went several times a few years ago and would bring bagels from a shop in the heart of the city. Best Ever. He got them "half cooked" and you baked them the rest of the way in your home. 8O

I have not had them in years and the crap they call bagels around here don't compare.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I usually stop by the UES outpost of the 2nd Ave Deli when business takes me into Manhattan. Terrific pastrami and an angioplasty with every sandwich.

As for great restaurants in NYC, the list of candidates is endless, and will vary by cuisine. So much depends on mood.

chervokas

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2013
Per Se really is all that if you can get a reservation. Take a big crowd, I think it's easier to get a table for six than a table for two. A really fun, new place which is very out of the way that offers a super creative approach to Chinese food by a former Per Se staffer is Fung Tu. For classic NYC goodness I love the pastrami at Katz's (and, perhaps surprisingly, the turkey is delicious too). If you like charcuterie, pates, boudin blanc and boudin noir, etc Bar Boulud is awesome. I like to get out to Jackson Height from time to time for Indian food at Jackson Diner, haven't been in a while tho. But no shortage of great eating in NYC.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Circa Tabac, one of the few places you can smoke and eat in NYC (and the meeting home of the NYC Pipe Club). However I really miss the old venue, "Florios"....
http://www.circatabac.com/

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
For me, NYC always conjures up eating some greys papaya dogs at night after being at a cocktail bar.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Even tho I was raised on L.I. and used to visit my grandparents quite a lot at their NYC brownstone - we were never wealthy enough to eat at fancy restaurants. I did however enjoy a gargantuan corned beef sandwich at the Carnegie Deli.
That was a sandwich to remember. :puffy:
sandwich_web.jpg

Aug 14, 2012
jguss: i am with you about the Second Ave Deli, now near 33rd and 3rd.

Numbersix: the Carnegie was ruined when Leo died. He used to make the corned beef in the basement. Now they buy it and it is mediocre.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'm in NYC at least 5 times a month, but I always have 20k or more worth of camera gear in tow, so I can almost never stop to eat. I just love driving through the city, really hungry, smelling all of the great food. Occasionally, all I'll need for work is a camera bag's worth of gear, then I'll hit Katz's of just get a slice. All of the pizza places are now run by Hispanics, BTW, and the 'zza just keeps getting better.
Occasionally, I'll stay with a friend on the Upper West Side, and we'll hit the nearby Metropolitan Diner (very good). When I'm working in The Bronx, I get lunch at a little Mexican diner off the Grand Concourse at 149th. It helps to either speak Spanish, or to go there with a regular who does.
The only other places that I've eaten are a great little Polish restaurant on 2nd between 12th and 13th, Little Poland, and the vending machines at the new Borough of Manhattan Community College building next to Ground Zero. The bottled water is always cold, but not too cold, and the Reeses are as fresh as you get straight from the plant in Hershey, PA. Avoid the Pop Tarts, though, they are dispensed from the fourth row of the machine, and often suffer breakage.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Well I'm going to have to hit up Circa Tabac next time I'm there.
I like the Meatball Shop too, to be totally honest. Not fancy but it is fun and they serve jell-o shots :)
Went to Chelsea Market and made the mistake of getting one of those giant sea urchins. I love uni at sushi restaurants but this was $15 worth of barf. I couldn't finish it. The Donuttery was fun though.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Numbersix: the Carnegie was ruined when Leo died. He used to make the corned beef in the basement. Now they buy it and it is mediocre.
Too bad. It's been many years since I've been there. When did Leo die?

Aug 14, 2012
I believe it was in the mid or late 1980s.

My first favorite restaurant didn't even have a name, that I can remember, anyway. It was on the corner of 7th Ave and 22nd st, back in the sixties. The only employee was Charlie, the chef-owner. He served Italian food, all cooked to order. I would go in and Charlie would ask "chicken livers Marsala?" Usually I said yes and he put down his newspaper and went out to buy the livers. The dish cost about $1.25 and could not be improved upon. My other favorite was live lobster Fra Diavolo which cost $2.95. He probably paid under $100 a month in rent. When Charlie retired it was replaced with a Thai restaurant which is still there.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
ESCA's mighty nice. And for plain folks like me, there's always (always) Katz's Deli.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't forget Chinatown and dim sum. Seek out the help of a native New Yorker, because the chefs

at Chinese places are transient, and as an expert I know says, they will leave a restaurant in the middle

of lunch if they get a better offer. So you are really shopping for the good chefs, not a particular

restaurant. However, you can get a magnificent meal for a reasonable price at many Chinatown

eateries.

Status
Not open for further replies.