PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
For me it is a no brainer, Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky is my favorite. For years I thought this once great blend was gone forever, but finally someone had the good sense to bring it back in all it's glory. Back around 2000 this blend was a regular in my rotation and then one day it was just gone. I am not sure when it happened, I want to say maybe 2004 or so, but I am not positive.
The re release of this blend tastes the same to me as it did back in the day. I know it is not the same as all blends change over time, but for my tastes, it sure does the trick. I know this is going to age beautifully as my second to last 1997 tin smoked great in 2012. The components to this blend are just made for aging.
So what has been your favorite blend for 2015, it doesn't have to be re release just something you maybe tried for the first time this year.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Very happy with the Match BSOSM. For a bulk, it is hard to beat. But the ultimate "winner" for me was McClelland's No. 24 Matured Virginias.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"So what has been your favorite blend for 2015, it doesn't have to be re release just something you maybe tried for the first time this year."

Dec 24, 2012
Thanks Jack. I tend to not read Harris's long missives, so I appreciate the clarity.
For me, it is Salty Dog.
For most dissapointing new blend, I would nominate Viginia Cream.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Salty Dog"
Back in stock all over, but so freaking expensive. I'm going to grab some as it do look real good.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Russ Ouellette's Fire Storm was a hit with me this past year.

pt-ro10050_view2.png

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Bothy Flake was the one that really grabbed my attention this year. Very good stuff!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, does Salty Dogs have any red virginia in it and if so how much. Is it going to bite my tongue off or will I be safe from the evil that is red virginia?

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I've also really enjoyed Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky as well as Fire Storm, these two have been my introduction to Dark Fires Kentucky and I have to say I've been going back to both blends with regularity. I think of the two I like Fire Storm more, I'm a big fan of Bayou Morning and its strength and for me Russ's blend has a very similar strength but much more flavor and depth.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
My favorite "new to me" blend for 2015 would have to be Six Pence by GL Pease. Something about that blend just grabbed me, and would not let go.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
Two new to me blends that I have really been enjoying.

1) I was lucky enough to pick up a 15 year old Haddos Delight. I thought the light topping would be too much for me and I didn't expect to like it. I was wrong, it's a great blend that has aged well. Once I'm done I'll try a fresh tin and see how that one fares.

2)Rattray's Old Gowrie. Another well known blend that I hadn't gotten around to trying. I'm glad I finally did!

Status
Not open for further replies.