Favorite line from a tobacco review

(58 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by deathmetal
  • Latest reply from deathmetal
  1. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I felt a substantial nicotine hit that nearly buckled my knees and put me right back into my chair. This was fine with me as I was able to finish the pipe whilst sitting down in comfort. - panduji68

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

"...Condor Plug is the weak, skinny, sickly, but handsome, younger brother of Warhorse,. This is smoking the very earth we walk on. Smoking this I felt I should be striding majestically and purposefully across the land, in search of adventure, fearing nothing, and everything fearing me (albeit I would be a kindly tyrant)." - klause

A most excellent thread idea.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. dulgunz

dulgunz

Login to Send PM

It has been a very long time since a tobacco has done that to me! Other leafs sure has though.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am a nic-lightweight. Haunted Bookshop can have me walking into walls if I am not careful. But if I use a very small pipe and smoke slowly after a good meal, I can enjoy rope tobacco.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Horror---------The Horror!

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

MLC beat me to it. I don't expect to ever read a more captivating tobacco review than Klause's review of War Horse.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First, I love the name Sam. It is simple and unassuming, easy to spell and pronounce and doesn't offend, surprise or confound. With most Sams that I know, what you see is what you get.

The above describes this C&D tobacco blend.

Pipestud (Sam's Blend)

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

I don't expect to ever read a more captivating tobacco review than Klause's review of War Horse.

I'd agree!

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

Another one,
    this about Condor Twist...

"A very stout smoke - if all other tobaccos are defined by the time of day and occasion on which they are smoked, then this is the Saturday night rumble after kicking out time and the bag of chip has just hit the pavement. I will not be chewing this and the throwing it onto the ceiling - not just because I am a wimp, but because this stuff would wait for you to walk underneath and then drag you kicking and screaming to your doom.

All I can say is that they were, MEN - BIG, BOLD! MANLY MEN." - klause

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. gtclark

gtclark

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ahem...for your reading amusement:

Molto Dolce is a soggy abortion, greasy to the touch, in which black Cavendish, Virginia of some sort, and alledgedly a smidge of Burley are drenched in vanilla, caramel, and honey.
    It is a flamboyant whore, and may destroy civilization.

From: At the Back of the Hill , a strange and wondrously humorous blog that occasionally touches on the subject of tobacco. You may disagree vehemently with the above description, but it is hilarious none the less.

Another selected quote:

Lament and keen for what Red Raparree used to be is intense, poetic, lyrical, nay even tragic and melodramatic, among the tribe with wooden objects in their face.

Makes me wish I had smoked it........ Oh wait, I did!

Meh.

And finally:

Why anyone would want a tobacco that smells like a juvenile hooker on east fourteenth street is beyond me, unless they wish to chase the roaches out of their tenement, along with relatives who have overstayed their welcome.

They could just burn the place down. It would be more civilized.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

From: At the Back of the Hill , a strange and wondrously humorous blog that occasionally touches on the subject of tobacco.

His stuff is undeniably great!

He used to post here at PipesMagazine a good bit...
    http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/profile/atboth

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. alexnorth

alexnorth

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haha, very informative reviews

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. gloucesterman

gloucesterman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Klause does have a way with words. He's always such a pleasant read. Not bad at finding vintage pipes either!

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some of the writing on these is fantastic in the way "amateurs" can do, but "insiders" have long forgotten how.

Never mind the hype, anyone who can tell a good yarn is a good writer... education, experience, (et cetera) are far secondary.

I've seen a lot of good writers in my time who have been conned out of saying what they have to say because some MFA or industry type thought they needed credentials. There's only one phrase to say to that attitude and it regards what falls out the back end of a horse.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

Here's a couple from Tantric...

"The flavour of Mahogany is rich but not complex. Rather, it is a very "straight forward" tobacco (one-dimensional for some), but it fully enraptures your palate. If smoked whilst drinking Ceylon Breakfast Tea, you are in for an experience. Furthermore, if at the same time you also happen to be reading something by Hegel or Nietzsche, and/or listening to Bartok, well, you tend to forget the weather, in spite of frosted hands and nose." - Tantric

&

"Please: do not, under any circumstance, try this tobacco. If you think Condor is strong and soapy, try to imagine it on steroids. It's lady Virginia transfigured into an overly perfumed elderly street walker. A very traditional, blue collar blend for those who have nothing left to lose." - Tantric

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

graydawn

Login to Send PM

Tantric, these are great

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The stuff was also at just the right moisture levels for ignition......'Houston' - Susanna Hoffs

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. jarit

jarit

Login to Send PM

I have actually tried this tobacco long ago. I know, I know. I was young, naive, new in town and hungry. He said he could get me into "show business"
    -Bear

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

"Again, this tobacco has some kick. If you like tobacco flavor and a cool, sweet smoke, try this classic.
    If, on the other hand, you prefer melba toast and milk, look elsewhere!" - Pipestud

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

"Taste: Immense.
    I was struck by an impression of eating a gigantic juicy plum spiced lightly with cloves. The smoke was vast and creamy with a bit of tingle on the tongue. A substantial but not overwhelming amount of nicotine added some delicacy and crumble to the mouthfeel. The flavor was deep, dense, heavy, and full without any oriental spice or latakia needed. Just pure Virginia flavors mellowed by time, with a hint of cherries jubilee and crushed roses and tar in the aftertaste." - DrDNA

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

"Part of my obsession with this particular tobacco is that it's elusive: just when I think I've figured it out it shimmers to reveal some new facet -- it's veritably a cubist flavor. I didn't know tobacco could be like this: biteless, subtle, darkly sweet (like sulphur molasses), complex, full, spicy, lush, mysterious and even romantic, like a Berg string quartet. This blend for me enters the realm of high art. " - Sinister Topiary

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

"Solid, seductive nicotine delivery. " - Albert

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mine:

Eulenberg, Pipeworks & Wilke # 13:

It was old Herr Jäger, former aide-de-camp to prince Cajetan de Bourbon-Parma, Austro-Hungarian anecdotist extraordinaire, passionate dog-lover, habitué of the Austin Book Shop at Kew Gardens, NYC, that first introduced me to this tobacco, so many, many years ago. Seeing me smoke some anodyne popular blend out of a paper pouch, he suggested I try his: Wilke No 13.

I was still a teen and I had never encountered Latakia before. I had no idea that a pipe tobacco could taste so...magically good! I was suddenly transported to the Manègeplatz at Schloss Schönbrunn, a young guardsman smoking his pipe next to his Carinthian charger, waiting for the Old Kaiser to go out for the Corpus Christi procession. Felix Austria!

Latakia is the tobacco of day-dreams.

Looking like Fred Astaire going to his First Communion, I hot-tailed it to Wilke's Smoke Shop, a small, dapper tobaccy temple in Madison Ave near 47 Street??RIP!??and encountered, for the first time, BULK tobaccos measured out on old brass scales, Wilsonian-era vitrines laden with imported briars, and the most unforgettably delicious smell I have ever smelt: tobacco, oak floor, carnauba wax...

Wilke No 13 is an old American-type English blend, with a bit of Burley to buffer it and a smidgeon of scented cavendish to frou-frou out the Syro-Macedonian stench. It is remarkably pleasant, though slightly generic to my jaded palate, after all these years. I can't taste the Périque at all.

New York and Boston gentry smoked blends like these in the 20's, and the high-quality tobaccos used in these compositions are a far cry from the general-store Lumpen that most men smoked back then. Before the avalanche of tinned blends reached us from Northern Europe, this was a good smoke. I thoroughly enjoyed the trip in nostalgia, and I certaily wish Wilke's was still there in Mad Ave, en lieu of the Yuppitorium that has taken its place. You might prefer to spend your money in Lake-District foofaraw. But for me, nothing can take away the memories.

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

By thedstinguishdgntlmn on tobaccoreviews.com regarding Rattray's Jocks Mixture, "I think they made this "Mixture" in his "Jock". Another bomb from Kohlhase & Kopp!"

Whereas he was apparently not impressed, I like this mixture!

Love Me, Love My Pipe
    Posted 3 years ago #
  25. mrjerke

JJ Pipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipestud regarding Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish...

"This blend is totally and absolutely not fit for consumption."

Well said sir.

Jordan

"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead." - Marjorie Pay Hinckley
    Posted 3 years ago #
  26. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

From BriarChef's 2008 review of Five Brothers:

Looking for that "drugstore" blend? A blast from the past? A bit of nostalgia? Need an ass kicking?
      These boys will open a six pack of whoop ass like you haven't experienced in a good long while. Made up the road in Loovul, KY.

I remember the old geezers smoking this stuff when it came in a paper pouch. Just the smell put me on one knee. When I first smoked it, it put me on both knees. They had to rock my head back and forth to get my lips unstuck from the bathroom tiles. Crikey!

This is some serious stuff, especially if you're a twelve year old boy.

Forty years later and it still hasn't learned any manners. How you can tell if it's fresh or not escapes me.

"Mind if I smoke?"

"Not at all. Mind if I puke?"

Made when men were men, and sheep were terrified.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 3 years ago #
  27. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

"Made when men were men, and sheep were terrified."

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

"In a sort of Jean-Paul Sartre-type moment, I acquired some of this in Paris, in one of those strange paper cubes. Hmmm. If you like French cigarettes, you'll probably like this, because (to my palate at least) it tastes exactly the same: strong, pungent and (as my old dad used to say) rough as a badger's arse. It's nothing like what, in the UK, most people think of as pipe tobacco. " - DrDyson

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

" I am under the impression that McConnell's flake is a 100 years old mixture that traveled through time to end up in my pipe.
    A true taste of the past." - The Punisher

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

"The dense (we're talking neutron star) plug comes in an adorable, whimsical foil package about the size of a mini Milky Way bar. The fat, smiling bloke on the cover may lead one to believe that it is a less than serious blend that should be relegated to the closet, next to the tin of Daddy's Favorite Baccy, but it's the real thing. When sipped as slowly as an ancient port, the plug reveals considerable nuance, and all manner of subtleties abound." -LoisKelly

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

"Proustian? How about, "Tobaccoian?"
    This little tour-de-force of our limbic system deserves no less an honor, in my mind. Forget swans and keeping scientists entertained, it has been one of the pistons in the engine of pipe tobacco marketing for the last quarter century..." - George Dibos

Posted 3 years ago #
  32. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My fav review thus far is from a user called "beaupipe" for C&D's - Star of the East Flake

The bolded paragraph kills me. LOL

C&D's Star of the East Flake strikes me as curiously neglected and under-rated here, especially given its similarities to one of the best loved tobaccos on this site--the venerable and venerated Penzance. They're both Latakia-heavy crumble cakes with marked Virginia sweetness. They're both easy to pack, light, and burn. And they're both delicious.

There are differences, of course. In the tin, Star of the East Flake is both sharper and dirtier than Penzance. Familiar notes of leather and Montreal smoked meat are mixed with an almost sour, bright note and a kind of sweaty, fecal, Bikram yoga-bum smell, which I personally find enormously appealing. Devotees of things like Munster, Epoisses, mature wine, properly aged duck confit, Andouillettes, smell-my-finger-games, and unsanitary bedroom practices from the rear pages of the Kama Sutra should find this immensely satisfying, perhaps even erotic.

Some tobaccos are appealing for their rustic qualities, for their lack of refinement. And this is one of 'em. I would hesitate to say that this is a better tobacco than something like Penzance, but I do think it's far more interesting. Highly recommended to all who like an unsavory quality in the things they savor.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  33. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's wonderfully over-the-top. I had similar thoughts about 1792 flake, which someone (politely) noted had a wide bouquet of smells including fresh manure.

Posted 3 years ago #
  34. theredstrat

theredstrat

Login to Send PM

New York and Boston gentry smoked blends like these in the 20's, and the high-quality tobaccos used in these compositions are a far cry from the general-store Lumpen that most men smoked back then. Before the avalanche of tinned blends reached us from Northern Europe, this was a good smoke. I thoroughly enjoyed the trip in nostalgia, and I certaily wish Wilke's was still there in Mad Ave, en lieu of the Yuppitorium that has taken its place. You might prefer to spend your money in Lake-District foofaraw. But for me, nothing can take away the memories.

This was a beautifully written review in total but I believe "yuppitorium" just became my new favorite word.

-Jon
    Posted 3 years ago #
  35. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A great word that needs more common use.

The Mixture 79 page is a goldmine:

just awful, like smoking a senior center or your grandma's perfume cabinet. - ark

If you were ever curious enough to wonder what it would be like to smoke a urinal cake, here you go. - zulujerk

What one needs to know up front is that this blend tastes like lightly caramelized dryer sheets. - Sky

Posted 3 years ago #
  36. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We have a group of very upscale shops on College Ave in Oakland.... I dubbed it "Yuppie Haven". Could be the name of a new blend!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  37. jkrug

jkrug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are differences, of course. In the tin, Star of the East Flake is both sharper and dirtier than Penzance. Familiar notes of leather and Montreal smoked meat are mixed with an almost sour, bright note and a kind of sweaty, fecal, Bikram yoga-bum smell, which I personally find enormously appealing. Devotees of things like Munster, Epoisses, mature wine, properly aged duck confit, Andouillettes, smell-my-finger-games, and unsanitary bedroom practices from the rear pages of the Kama Sutra should find this immensely satisfying, perhaps even erotic.

This truly had me laughing out loud while reading it,in fact I read it over several times it was so funny...good thing I'm home alone right now!! Best ever.

Posted 3 years ago #
  38. uncleblackie

uncleblackie

Login to Send PM

Haddo's Delight:

CaptnDan- "This tobacco will beat you like you owe it money if you do not smoke it well and if you inhale it. The nicotine wallop is as quick as lighting and as noticeable as a brick to the skull."

Scottgun - "Should be called Haddo's Nicotine Punch in the Face. I enjoyed smoking it, but I can't finish a bowl before the room is spinning. While I'm not a tough guy when it comes to nicotice, I'm not a wimp either, and what makes this blend so insidious is that it sneaks up on you. One minute I'm enjoying (in all fairness) a tasty smoke, the next I'm lying on a bed for two hours sweating in a 65-degree house. You have been warned."

Posted 3 years ago #
  39. edgreen

edgreen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wish I would have read the Haddo's reviews before I tried smoking it. It would have saved me a lot of spinning.

Tobacco's a musician.And in a pipe delighteth;It descends in a close,Through the organ of the nose, With a relish that inviteth.
    Barten Holiday
    Posted 3 years ago #
  40. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One minute I'm enjoying (in all fairness) a tasty smoke, the next I'm lying on a bed for two hours sweating in a 65-degree house.

This sounds like an ideal tobacco experience to me...

Posted 3 years ago #
  41. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was trying to remember this one when this thread began. I was just reading reviews of JKP in anticipation of the Oct. crawl and found it. From hedgehog JackKnife Ready Rubbed,

Short version: gracious, this is manly...Suddenly all I want to do is chug a couple of handles of Wild Turkey, squeeze off some rounds, club some seal babies, harpoon something endangered, bomb Hanoi, crank up the George Thorogood, copter-hunt some mastadons, scarf a T-bone, litter, bench-press my HumVee, call in some air-strikes and generally get some. That's what a kiloton of Kentucky Dark Fired can do for a guy.

Esthetes and other un-American elements have suggested that there there's some bright-leaf in here, and maybe some sweet Virginias. If there are, I don't want to know about it. I like my tobacco as subtle as a thermobaric charge; this hits the spot and leaves a smoking hole.

Pipe Used: Generally I smoke this with my bare hands.

Similar Blends: Bugatti Veyron, fuel-air explosives, Josef Stalin, Death Valley, and the first 15 minutes of Saving Private Ryan.

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 3 years ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

hierophant

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

From a review of Full Virginia Flake on TobaccoReviews:

Now I know there are those out there who relish in the thought that they are amongst the elite, the cognizanti who are anointed into the secret club of spending at least as much time preparing and tinkering and babysitting your tobacco as you do smoking it. But for those among us with other things going on in our lives besides pipe smoking, this tobacco is simply a pain in the ass:

Posted 3 years ago #
  43. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

"Digger Flake is a hardy, no- frills burley flake of stout character. It isn't friendly, accomodating or even refined. However, such negative adjectives still appeal to some, and I am in present company. DF is not easy to locate but for my money, it is THE burley flake. I wish I could smoke it often but as an occasional enjoinder it is magnificent. Uniform, powerful, slow to burn and all too quickly, gone." - Danno

Posted 3 years ago #
  44. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

"But though I very much like this delectable, dignified blend I prefer it's sister, that painted hussy Pembroke."
    - Sinister Topiary

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/495/esoterica-tobacciana-margate#review27940

&

"At any rate, like near-death experiences and certain forms of asphyxiation, you can't conceive of it until you've experienced it."
    - Eulenburg

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1129/erinmore-erinmore-plug#review1249

Posted 3 years ago #
  45. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

what?

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 3 years ago #
  46. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Funny shit...

"the weez"...
    Posted 3 years ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

sevenseas

Login to Send PM

TobaccoReviews.com review of Mac Baren Dark Twist Loose Cut:

Room note makes women horny. They think you smell like a man covered in leather.

Are all of you 30 year-old virgin guys out there paying attention? This stuff must be the ultimate chick magnet. Go get some NOW.

Posted 3 years ago #
  48. oldredbeard

oldredbeard

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't laughed this much in a while, Thank you gentlemen.

I'm not complaining.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  49. tinsel

tinsel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Short version: gracious, this is manly...Suddenly all I want to do is chug a couple of handles of Wild Turkey, squeeze off some rounds, club some seal babies, harpoon something endangered, bomb Hanoi, crank up the George Thorogood, copter-hunt some mastadons, scarf a T-bone, litter, bench-press my HumVee, call in some air-strikes and generally get some. That's what a kiloton of Kentucky Dark Fired can do for a guy.
    Esthetes and other un-American elements have suggested that there there's some bright-leaf in here, and maybe some sweet Virginias. If there are, I don't want to know about it. I like my tobacco as subtle as a thermobaric charge; this hits the spot and leaves a smoking hole.

Pipe Used: Generally I smoke this with my bare hands.

Similar Blends: Bugatti Veyron, fuel-air explosives, Josef Stalin, Death Valley, and the first 15 minutes of Saving Private Ryan.

This had me rolling with laughter. I LOVE JKP, and it's probably my favorite blend. This guy hit the reason why straight on the nose.

Here's my personal favorite, taken from tobaccoreviews.com. It's a review of Dunhill EMP:

This tobacco was good so good, that it reminded me of a time long ago....

Place, Vietnam. The Year is 1965. The Month, June. Day: The 7th; AKA Day 282 in 'Nam for me. June was the rainy season for 'Nam. I had been given some leave time from my base in Saigon and so I went to explore the City, like usual, my buddies didnt get leave, but I hoped to find some more GI's in some of the local bars. It was unseasonably dry that day. No rain. It was nice for once to not deal with dagum water in the shoes. I felt good, like it was going to be a swell day; I had every reason to think so. A week before, I had killed 10 Charlie in one night. I was satisfied. And now I had leave, who could ask for anything more?

I stopped in at a bar in the East Side of Saigon called Do Phing Pan Ngo, where all the action was. The bar was bustling with GI's. Different guys trying to sweep some exotic doll off of her feet and into the bed. I had similar plans. I walked to the bar and ordered myself a tall one, ready to relax and find a target. Then it happened. She walked in lookin like something out of a dream. So gorgeous, she was with her sexy Vietnamese hips and supple behind. I knew what had to be done. I ordered another beer, and started over to her. Just before I did, some officer cut in front of me. Dam. He had beat me to the punch. I was just a lowly grunt. There was nothing that I could do. The babe started shooting me looks as the Officer was talkin her up. I knew this would be my only chance to get laid until i was sent back into the jungles to fight charlie. Charlie would always be there. This doll wouldnt. I made my move. As I did it, I felt my balls grow 3 times larger. A grunt was about to steal a woman from Officer. I approached her; didnt say a word and just took her hand and left with her, leaving the officer to shove it. I led her off to a small hotel room where we made love with out even speaking. We made love many times before the morning of the next day came, i wish I could remember the number, but I lost track after 30. I would have set a company record.

As she is there sleeping I got up to watch the sun rise over beautiful Saigon, with a gentle mist sweeping the rooftops that morning and I smoked a fat stogie in honor of my recent accomplishments. It was the most incredible feeling in the world, despite my man tool nearly falling off. The beautiful woman was still asleep after having the night of her life. I dressed, and left the room, but not before leaving her my picture so that the kid would one day know who his or her father was. And with that I left, returning to base and eventually leaving 'Nam, never to return.

Early Morning Pipe felt like that special morning in Saigon.

Posted 3 years ago #
  50. hawke

hawke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

An excerpt from Jeffrey Deal's review:

Hawke's Indian Moon is as pure Americana as a George Catlin painting: bold, proud, and bigger than life. It's a straight forward, unapologetic, blend that is best shared (and savored) in the company of those you respect, encircling the sacred fire, and giving praise to the Great Spirit.
    Jeffrey Deal

Are those Tobacco Brownies?
    Posted 3 years ago #
  51. jmatt

jmatt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On the strength of Samuel Gawith's Black XX Twist (reviewer named "Pipeline"):

All I know is that I loaded a group three sized bowl fully dressed and in my right mind. At the end of my smoke, I found myself clothed in nothing but my BVD's and hiding behind an avocado tree in my backyard warding off fruit rats with a pen knife.

Posted 3 years ago #
  52. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used top smoke the Balkan Sobranie for years before it became discontinued. Many swear this tobacco is not the same as the original Sobranie. It is not the same but that said I still lose myself in the smoke when smoking this tobacco. I don't remember the Sobranie being that much better. I enjoy the Balkan Saseini as if the Sobrani was not the yardstick to measure the Saseini but the Saseini is delicious on it's own right.I discovered Penzance and although it is delicious I would stock the Saseini but will only stock 20 tins Penzance. It is hard to find good pipe tobacco in Vancouver Canada.I woud recommend this blend to anyone. It is my favorite this far. I tried MCcellands 2030 mixture which was good but the Bill Baily's Balkan Blend tastes a bit dull for me.The Penzane Bulk was enjoyed but the Penzance in Tin is worth writing another review. I prefer the Saseini though. UPDATE 12/15/09 I still enjoy this blend the most and find I do not tire of it. I have Penzance in tins which are aging and I have a half full tin I occasionally smoke but for my alltime blend I find the Balkan Saseini is my brand.I can smoke it and I can chew it which I do not do . Point is this tobacco works for me in all conditions. If a smoke is wet I still enjoy this tobacco. I love the stuff. It gratifies me more than the Sobranie did when I smoked it but I smoke only a few bowls per day now. I find the less I smoke the more I savour and I find myself savoring this tobacco three times a day.

I love it as the guy prefers balkan sasieni to penzance, finds it quite similar to the balkan sobranie of old, or not much different, and I got Balkan Sasieni for about 4.50 a tin.

Posted 3 years ago #
  53. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I laugh (and skip over) the obligatory description of the tin note in every review. Idgaff what it smells like in the tin, it's not snuff, I'm going to smoke it, not snort it.

I also laugh when people describe tasting/smelling all sorts of things that aren't remotely included in the topping/casing. Figs, raisins, chocolate, nuts, mushrooms...barbeque ribs and KETCHUP fer cryin' out loud!!! LOLOLOL. A pipe tobacco that tastes/smells like a garbage can full of after dinner plate-sweepings really doesn't make me want to buy it

Posted 3 years ago #
  54. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Fella's...this blend gives me the worst case of the shits."

Posted 3 years ago #
  55. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

"ehhhhh.... I think people just read what other write on here and make up stuff similiar." - Pipetech26

Posted 3 years ago #
  56. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Funny stuff guys, thanks for the laughs. I remember Eulenberg, Tantric and Bears reviews as I was always looking at them back in 2001. Eulenberg was definitely the most descriptive and would take his reviews to a different level.

Here is one of my favorites from him, he is reviewing Solani 633.

" "Nectar of the gods"..."God, I love Périque!"...I can fully echo these sentiments, and cherish this V & P flake accordingly. Sweet, spicy, heady...SOLANI 633 is almost pornographically good! (And like many violent pleasures, it can do things to you, if you really overindulge.)

Taste it slowly and deeply, like a good boy."

Harris
    Posted 3 years ago #
  57. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

"To all those sniveling about the harsh difficulties of cutting up the plug...oh, do come along! Quit your pathetic whining. If you don't like to cut plug...don't. Smoke something else. There's plenty of other blends out there. There! I feel better now. " - Blackhorse

Posted 3 years ago #
  58. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Fella's...this blend gives me the worst case of the shits."

Must be Best Brown No.4. Holy mackerel.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   gandalfspipe