Favorite "Latakia As A Light Condiment" Blend?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
After reading the post discussing Fall/Winter blends vs Spring/Summer blends, a question. What is your favorite blend that utilizes Latakia as a background note?
GLP Chelsea Morning, Piccadilly and Lombard come to mind.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My all time favorite in that vein is Nat Sherman 536 which is about the most subtle and refined English blend I know, and then they meld in some burley besides, and everyone knows they have me for life. A big New York/Manhattan tobacconist should have a refined and cosmopolitan English blend, and they do.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mac Baren Latakia Blend
Even though it was discontinued, this was a very unfortunately named blend. Unless you know what you are looking for, you would never know that Mac Baren's "Latakia Blend" ever contained any Latakia at all.
img_20171218_003336.jpg

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
I would like to recommend SPC Mississippi River. Its the perfect example of condiment Latakia.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I think Bald Headed Teacher has a small amount of Latakia.

McC’s Rose of Latakia, but...

Savinelli’s English actually is more Virginia forward also.

Presbyterian, EMP features the orientals more.

Isn’t Black Frigate another?
GLP’s Laurier Heights is another with only a wisp of Latakia. I actually argued that it didn’t have any at all on a thread years ago, when Greg himself posted that itdoes in fact have a mere dusting of Latakia. ,

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I have 3 favorites in the Latakia-as-a-condiment category of blends:
MacBaren Plumcake - it's been around for a long time for good reason.
Uhle's Raider Blend - one of the most interesting blends in my humble cellar & a truly tasty sleeper blend. I'm not a big fan of cherry-flavored pipe tobaccos and with Raider Blend I get more sweetness than cherry. The "spec" of Latakia used adds the perfect amount of smokiness. Dessert by the campfire...
Best of all - Peretti's Cuban Mixture. An amazingly complex blend where the Latakia is a background player. Absolutely delicious!

Jun 27, 2016
Maybe Good Morning, it has the least out of this list, but I need to smoke some more of it to see how it is. I'd go with Peretti Century, & Royal, C&D Star of the East Gold, & Yenidje Highlander out of my drawer & off the top of my head. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.