PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I think I’m ready to take the plunge.

So far I’ve enjoyed Bob’s Chocolate Flake.

I don’t know if St Bruno’s Flake fits in this category but I like it okay, too.

So, I’ve added a few blends to my shopping cart, including Erinmore Mixture, Kendal Flake, and Gasmere Flake, but what else should I look for to test drive those floral essences?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
You're going to get many more guys who don't answer the question but instead want to insult every Lakeland blend than those from whom you might obtain a more balanced opinion. Then you're going to get others who want to disqualify blends simply because to them, they can find trace amounts of the dreadful, unspeakable Lakeland essence. Beware.
To me, no essence:
Dark Flake

Dark Birdseye

Kendal Dark

Down and Black Rope

Brown Flake

St James Flake

Full VA Flake
Essence aplenty:
Boson Cut Plug

Rum Flake

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I tried (I really really really tried) to like Lakeland blends. But alas it wasn't meant to be. HOWEVER, I LOVE Bob's chocolate flake. I smoke that frequently with joy and don't get much soap taste from it. But the other Lakelands were all gifted to members here.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
^^^THAT^^^ Is why I gave my remaining Lakelands to Chasing_Embers/Duane. Some people love the stuff and so it shall be. I kinda feel let down. I really wanted to love the stuff, but is like like love, you just know it when you feel it.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Weezell, ok that’s a good one. I smoke 1792 and love it. I kinda forget it’s a Lakeland. Dang that’s two I love. I guess I just don’t care for overt soap in my face.

steamboat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2017
Surprised Dark Birdseye is mentioned. I get zero lakeland floral essence in that blend. Its one of my favorite blends ever created, and if anything i get a tad bit of anise in it. It reminds me more of Peterson Irish Flake then St.Bruno. If your looking for floral and wouldn't mind an aromatic, i would recommend Rattrays Bagpiper Dream. They say its a cognac flavor, but it tastes like a flowerbed to me.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
Coniston Cut Plug Unscented, its been my go to for that lakeland flavour. Though Im more of a FVF kind of guy, I find the CCP very nice when Im in the mood. I like 1792 too.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I repulsed at my first Lakeland exposure. Since then, I've been slowly dragged, an inch at a time, closer to the "like" camp.
I still haven't explored the heaviest stuff yet. I'm pacing myself... :mrgreen:
I really like the GH&Co Dark Flake, Unscented, although the Lakeland is minimal.
img

thefishguy

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2017
I love Dark Birds eye. I’ve tried Kendall Kentucky and dark but they’re just not quite as smooth. Dark plug is pretty good too if you’re not sensitive to nicotine and don’t mind a little prep work.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
1792 is lovely stuff especially with aging on it. It comes available and when it does, I snatch it up...

64alex

May 10, 2016
-Ennerdale flake which is probably the quintessential of Lakeland flavor

-Groosemoore (flake or better plug if you can find) which is the oldest of all the lakelands still in production (it is said it is 200 year old recipe) and a lovely for me "baked biscuit taste"

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
So, I’ve added a few blends to my shopping cart, including Erinmore Mixture, Kendal Flake, and Gasmere Flake, but what else should I look for to test drive those floral essences?
+1 on the Samuel Gawith Grousemoor. Does it get any more floral?

Deeelicious!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Oh, just caught the "Erinmore" listing. Definitely not a Lakeland. More like Juicy Fruit gum.

Status
Not open for further replies.