PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I was sitting her puffing on dan tobaccos davinci and was curious of what everyone's favorite dan tobacco blend is? The davinci reminded me of Ashton's rainy day...

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The only Dan Tobacco blend I've had is Blue Note, which I did enjoy. A solid aromatic that's worth giving a go. I do have a tin of Devil's Holiday which I'll eventually get around to cracking.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I am not sure I would call it my favorite Dan Tobacco blend, but I really appreciate their presentation of their Sweet Vanilla Honeydew, which is actually a Virginia that has been cased. It is a beautiful, mostly rubbed out bright Virginia leaf that smelled heavenly. That is usually my first indication that, at the match, I won't like it. This was different though. I tasted a quality Virginia that was only lightly artificially sweetened. Despite the casing, it did not burn hot unless I puffed too aggressively.

I probably won't buy another tin in my lifetime (which, unfortunately, gets shorter by the moment) but, the blend sure made an impression on me.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I've only had the veermaster. I might try the patriot flake. Do they make one called malt house?

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Coincidentally, I just finished a bowl of Patriot Flake an hour ago. I bought one tin of it a few months back and have smoked probably four or five bowls of it so far. I really enjoy it! So much so that I plan on picking up a few more tins of it to cellar away. It's not something I crave everyday, but so far every bowl has been enjoyable. Good stuff!
The only other Dan blend I have cracked open right now is Midnight Ride, which is a latakia-based blend and also very enjoyable! This is another blend I might buy a few more tins of.
I also have a pound of Hamborger Veermaster in the cellar with about 18 months on it. I'll probably let it sit another couple years before breaking into it.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Tordenskjold Virginia Slices or Veermaster, tough choice there though as both are excellent. Haven't tried Old Iron Sides but I plan to.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I'll disagree and say that I like the Malthouse Founder's Reserve. It's one of my favorite summertime smokes in a meer.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I also liked the Malthouse, a pleasant smoke, but not enough to buy more. For me the standouts have been Old Ironsides and The Mellow Mallard. Veermaster wasn't great fresh but has been coming along nicely as it ages.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
The Hamborger Veermaster is a great straight Va which I have been smoking for a couple of years now, but I really love the new St Bernard - it is a VaPer which has something of the "Olde English Flavour" about it. IMO if you are a Vaper lover this is a must try!

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Right now I am smoking my first tobacco from the "Holly´s Discovery" in my first Missouri Meerschaum Cob.

That stuff has a smell from the tin like a barrel of heavy fuel oil but is so mild to smoke. Very impressive tobacco!

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
A few months ago, when I walked in the pipe shop I saw "Salty Dog", and I smiled to myself, "Ha.... what a creative name."

After reading about it, I thought I have definitely missed it because the whole box with many pouches was gone super quickly.

:puffpipe:
Will definitely get one pouch next time I can find it.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Yes, that´s a great traditional name for a plug. I am only one bowl in but it´s definitely worth a try. Be sure to a have sharp pocketknife handy and let it be a Barlow for that extra bit of tradition! :wink: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.